My approach to push, after playing it for a month or so

Discuss Push with other users.
lodott0

My approach to push, after playing it for a month or so

Post by lodott0 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm

I have a musical background as a bass player, beatboxer and with ableton. The biggest relief for me when i got push and actually learned playing it was the fact that i could use ableton as an instrument, playing and jamming with other people. The pads are great and extremely responsive. It works great as a production tool, but i find myself looking at the computer a lot of times finding samples, tweaking synths etc. But thats alright, my workflow has been a lot better since i started using it anyway. I also see a lot of people complaining about small bugs, everything not working as smoothly as it should and so on. As for my part, that is not a problem. An instrument is never working 100%, there is always something you will have to work your way around. If you do it enough, you will get used to it, and it won't be a problem anymore.

Is there other pushers with the same experience as me? Please leave a comment, i still haven't met anyone else playing push since i bought it! (I live in Norway, most people here are still stuck in the converse rock era)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOdPwRrMxo

https://soundcloud.com/tryver

SuburbanThug

Re: My approach to push, after playing it for a month or so

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 pm

You basically explained my experience with it. I haven't jammed with other people yet but it's definitely an option now. I've gotten into finger drumming quite a bit since I was a compulsive tabletop tapper as a kid. I'm going to be using it like this a lot I think. It's been a hell of a lot of fun and coming up with interesting arpeggiations and chord structures has been easy. The bugs I've encountered have been few and far in-between and I think they'll get smoothed out in the coming months.

lodott0

Post by lodott0 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 pm

Nice! You should definitively try using push in a jam or something. I play in two bands as of now, in both of them i play push. People get excited when they see it on stage, basically because its new and few understands how it works yet. When it comes to finger drumming, i am working on it. I kind of tend to just loop my beatboxing live instead of actually playing the pads.

the_voder

Post by the_voder » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:49 am

I've found myself using the encoders a lot, but rarely recording using the pads. I find them a little small, and hard, and you have to really whack them to get full velocity. I'm not really much of a live player, though, so I wasn't expecting to be banging out beats on it straightaway. I think a little time invested in working out controller mappings so the encoders do interesting things is well worth it in the long run.

a|x

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm

just mess with the velocity threshold and scale value. I had to bang on mine out of the box as well, much like mpc pads, but after tweaking the threshold/curves I got it much more playable and close to a padkontrol

the_voder

Post by the_voder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:48 am

@ezelkow1 I'll try that, thanks. :)

a|x

lodott0

Post by lodott0 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah, just hold the user button and choose the one most fitting for you. Because i got tendonitis a while ago I had to figure this out once i got push, or it would have become really bad really fast. Have mine set to log 4!

______

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITO5IzKa6b4