PXT-Live vs Sonic Faction's Max4Live step sequencer??

Discuss Push with other users.
Cam Citi

PXT-Live vs Sonic Faction's Max4Live step sequencer??

Post by Cam Citi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 pm

I just got my push 2 weeks ago and am looking to upgrade the functionality via one of these 2 step sequencer upgrades but i cant seem to find much info on the Sonic Faction Max4live step sequencer other than the promo videos and their reputation for quality max4live devices. Has anyone tried both of these? Im definitely getting the PXL-Live after reading the manual and what it adds, but ive read some people on this forum say it isnt a 1 stop shop for all your sequencing needs. any thoughts?

aioffermann

Re: PXT-Live vs Sonic Faction's Max4Live step sequencer??

Post by aioffermann » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 pm

Simply put, they're different sequencers, so just try to dig up info on both and figure out which is more "you" :)

EDIT: In other words they both have their strengths and weaknesses, one is not better than the other for everyone.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I've had some time to play with pxt-live but have only seen sonic factions step sequencer so bearing that in mind I would say they are two different interfaces that can probably achieve similar results. However pxt-live isn't a step sequencer. It's more like a direct interface/controller for the live sequencer and has a bit of a learning curve (lots of button pushes/combinations and various 'pages' to commit to memory) while a step sequencer is always going to be more immediate if not a little more limited. That said there's plenty of room for happy accidents with pxt-live!

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:00 am

irrelevance wrote:I've had some time to play with pxt-live but have only seen sonic factions step sequencer so bearing that in mind I would say they are two different interfaces that can probably achieve similar results. However pxt-live isn't a step sequencer. It's more like a direct interface/controller for the live sequencer and has a bit of a learning curve (lots of button pushes/combinations and various 'pages' to commit to memory) while a step sequencer is always going to be more immediate if not a little more limited. That said there's plenty of room for happy accidents with pxt-live!
Well it's not primarily a step-sequencer persay, but you know it has one right?

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:38 am

aioffermann wrote:
irrelevance wrote:I've had some time to play with pxt-live but have only seen sonic factions step sequencer so bearing that in mind I would say they are two different interfaces that can probably achieve similar results. However pxt-live isn't a step sequencer. It's more like a direct interface/controller for the live sequencer and has a bit of a learning curve (lots of button pushes/combinations and various 'pages' to commit to memory) while a step sequencer is always going to be more immediate if not a little more limited. That said there's plenty of room for happy accidents with pxt-live!
Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I would say pxt-live is offering a method/interface of entering notes into the live sequencer. I haven't got sonic factions step sequencer (which btw I have a feeling has been made using the push development kit released by florianz and why they are not selling the device directly) but it appears to run independently of lives sequencer and act more like a step sequencer. Both can be useful though and neither are expensive!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:14 am

I would also check out the port of Matthew Davidson's polynomé by florian here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192084

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 am

irrelevance wrote:
aioffermann wrote:
Maybe I'm splitting hairs but I would say pxt-live is offering a method/interface of entering notes into the live sequencer. I haven't got sonic factions step sequencer (which btw I have a feeling has been made using the push development kit released by florianz and why they are not selling the device directly) but it appears to run independently of lives sequencer and act more like a step sequencer. Both can be useful though and neither are expensive!
O fasho I feel ya

Cam Citi

Post by Cam Citi » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 am

Hey Guys thanks for the quick replies, I bought PXT-Live today so im going to take a good 2 weeks to get comfortable with it because im new to Live as well. The Sonic Faction promo vids kind of got me sold though so most likely im gonig to end up buying their instruments too once i figure out what i can do myself and what id rather pay for.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:42 pm

*posted this in the wrong thread*
see here for that post - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=194896&p=1527545#p1527545