Parameter Masher v1.3 for Push

Discuss Push with other users.
Because789

Parameter Masher v1.3 for Push

Post by Because789 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Just released a device I'm working on for a while. Since it's based on Florian Zand's dev kit (which is still in beta state) and since the device internal routing is pretty complex, you might stumble accross some problems. Feedback would be highly appreciated!

And this is it:

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... ter-masher

Send 64 fixed values to 8 possible parameters by one of three triggering modes (two different momentary ones). For your standard MIDI keyboard or Ableton Push.

Features:
- map any parameter in Live to one of the 8 slots
- trigger the fixed values by a MIDI keyboard, Ableton Push or just a MIDI clip
- three triggering modes:
1. Tri: a button press sends the value to the parameter, the note off message is ignored
2. Mo1: a button press sends the value to the parameter, the note off message sets the parameter back to the last triggered value (which produces some unpredictable stuff, more of a fun tool)
3. Mo2: a button press sends the value to the parameter, the note off message sets the parameter to the value set below "Mo2 Val"
- route every button row (8 values) to the parameter you like (wich gives you a fancy light show in Push mode and the possibility of 64 fixed values per parameter)
- all 64 values are automapped for easy adjusting

The basic idea for this device comes from filter_7 (viewtopic.php?f=35&t=193476). He provided me a lot of usefull informations too, thanks Dan!
Last edited by Because789 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

lo.key

Re: Parameter Masher v1.0 for Push

Post by lo.key » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:57 pm

top notch dude! This will be really handy.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:29 am

thanks wand well done! :)

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 pm

one suggestion, it would be helpful if the pad remained green when released, at least on t[e first 2 modes, so you can see where the parameter is at...

Because789

Post by Because789 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:33 am

I'm glad you like it guys, thanks for the kind words!
lo.key wrote:one suggestion, it would be helpful if the pad remained green when released, at least on t[e first 2 modes, so you can see where the parameter is at...
This is actually a great suggestion and it seems doable. I'll try to implement it asap...
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:18 pm

thanks again!

Because789

Post by Because789 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Just uploaded version 1.1. In Push mode the pad color indicates now where the value is (Tri) or where it jumped back (Mo1) (thanks for the suggestion lo.key!). There is also a small bug fix included.

Since there are almost endless possibilities to use the device it's too time consuming for me to test everything. Don't hesitate to post here problems you stumble across, I'll try my best to sort them out.

M4L

filter_7

Re: Parameter Masher v1.1 for Push

Post by filter_7 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 pm

The new update with green pads is fantastic. Good advice and work!

Would like to remind to those who don't know that is possible to midi record an entire performance:
just select Push port 2 as input; click User mode on Push then start recording a clip.
(this way Push buttons are unlit during parameters pushing)

After that if you return to 'normal' mode you'll see the pads flashing along with the recorded clip.

Because789

Re: Parameter Masher v1.1 for Push

Post by Because789 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:38 pm

Cheers Dan!-)

In addition to filter_7's tip, if you don't wanna leave Push mode you could record to a second MIDI track (set "MIDI from" to the track with the device) and when the recording is done move the clip to the Parameter Masher track (which of course isn't very convenient).

Btw: on my journey into this device I thought about an other approach to automation and I just released the device: Automation Gate 1.0

M4L

Because789

Re: Parameter Masher v1.2 for Push

Post by Because789 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:03 pm

A little update, just uploaded v1.2:

- increased note lengh of Tri when in Push mode (if you recorded the performance to another MIDI track and routed the clip back to the device, sometimes the values were not triggered properly)
- in Push mode, when switching to User mode and back, the button leds would not update properly (had to add a delay to make it working, it flickers but you end up with a lighted grid)

M4L

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 am

Hi Thomas!
i have a little suggestion for the device (i hope you don't say oh no! :) )

the only thing that is difficult to setup is looking at the same time at the value boxes in the masher and the corrisponding value of a mapped device during tweaking to find that sweet spot. For example mapping different LFO values is pretty difficult.

So i thought that it would be great to have a 'mirror' masher device with only box values, to be placed in the track where the mapped LFO is, for example, so we can look at the 2 at the same time, and when we assign the values in that mirror masher these are reflected in the original parameter masher device that is in it's own track.
The mirror masher should be placed in an audio track too, unlike the original masher.

I hope my explanation was clear... what do you think about that?

Because789

Post by Because789 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:47 am

Oh no! :D

Joking aside, I see the problem and your suggestion with the mirror device would be a workaround. It just sounds like a hell of a lot of work this way :wink:

Will think about it. I have an improvement for Mo1 in mind I want to impelement, therefor I will work on the device the next couple of days anyway...

Thanks for the suggestion!

M4L

Because789

Re: Parameter Masher v1.3 for Push

Post by Because789 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Just uploaded v1.3. The changes are:

- Added a function to easily set all value boxes to a specific value.
- Added observation of the current value. This should make it easier to find the appropriate integer between 0 and 127 for a certain parameter setting. It's certainly not perfect, but at least you can tweak now a parameter and when you found a sweet spot you can map the parameter to the device and get the according value.
- Removed stripnote function in Tri mode when Push control is set to "off".

The last change is important if you want to play an instrument and trigger parameter changes at the same time (I would love to remove the function in Push mode too, but it often leads to stuck notes). Btw, I just realised today that you don't have to switch to User Mode to get all the notes from C1 to D#6 layed out on the grid, just press Scales first, then hold Shift and choose "Sequent^".

M4L

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Thomas, your observation solution is smart and effective; I think we don't need a 'mirror' device anymore.
I have a question from a near zero knowledge of M4L: can you 'unlock' the mapped knob so we can tweak it to find another sweet spot, check the value in the masher, and so on?

Because789

Post by Because789 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 am

filter_7 wrote:I have a question from a near zero knowledge of M4L: can you 'unlock' the mapped knob so we can tweak it to find another sweet spot, check the value in the masher, and so on?
Hey Dan, this would be possible, the problem is, I'm not able to predict what impact this would have. There is a great chance that I would spend a lot of time researching just to realise that it was a bad idea from the beginning. That's why I prefer to leave my fingers from that.

Of course, as a workaround it is possible to tweak, map, get value, unmap (X), tweak, map, get value, unmap, etc. But yes, it isn't very convenient. I actually prefer to map the parameter first and then find the sweet spots from the Masher itself. It forces me to trust my ears which is actually a good thing :)

M4L