No - All lights are consistent
6%
Kind of - Some LED inconsistency
51%

Total votes: 100

fishmonkey

Re: Rise Rainbow Push...Rise!

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:10 am

exact colour mixed matching with RGB LEDs is actually not trivial. if you look closely at an RGB stage light, or if you were to put all the LEDs from an LED strip light next to each other, you would see that the colours do not exactly match. it doesn't matter so much with an LED stage light because you are projecting the light, not staring at it.

here is a link i posted in another thread:

http://www.acquris.se/media/index.php?id=34&lang=en

as has been discussed, other pad controllers do not attempt to do full RGB light mixing.

of course the LEDs could be carefully matched and binned at manufacture, i can only assume it is cost that is stopping Ableton/Akai from doing that, because it is not a fast process. it is akin to calibrating a computer monitor...

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:07 am

So for dummies :

Go see some "digitalversus.
com" test about screens.

Or every imaging relying on RGB : today we have Canon DOS three subdiodes for each pixel reaching X megapixel and precise caption of each of the three sub-color : where's white ? >>> no ruler even on the high-end market.

About screens, sorting CRT as off-topic then read any "LCD/plasma/IPS or TN / resolution choice off-topic >>> when you find a display with red green and blue being able to both do true white for the first deception to be nice, then give up after realizing that in clear :

even high-end micrometer RGB stuff can't do true white, luckily at least "lynx or eagle eyed AND rich" are an exception to not see it, no screen ever aimed to worldwide familuily like consumers end-market can't do what you ask to three millions times greater diodes, under pads, to win against "impossible since others ..."

If you see white pads, uniformity, I come and say : results with double blind myself didn't myelf was taken into account : your pads are grey.

If you are not a moron, in fact, I shopuld just have said "just see press pictures like the Push section @ ableton.com : all grey pads, wwhy the fuck that white is on point or not you search for homogenic calibration of grey.

Easy for white diode 4th LED so your gear do white.

For every not white with gear, even meters by meters large 4xFullhd (sorry not knowing acronyms heree) or just what I have read as today's being more near to be perfect (but no) Retina screen from iPad THIRD (4th gen are a little less good) has a near perfect balance.

Because of backlighting and firmly hard to disassemble unibody aluminium type of structure. Backlight is white LED of course.

Still no white.

The end. Totally crap. At least I didn't wrote false stuff but what a pffff... musicians like me (poor vision too) might not be aware about real white so dudes, your thread, I could be able to discuss and agree with any argued thing...

Just calibrate yourself. Go check how much color tyou're able to give to clip with "box" on sesssion view after a little tiour of Look & Feel from Preferences" list of clip colors your gear must mimic :

calibration isn't IMO not Abe or Akai job.

could result better with warm colors using artists other results wuth more cold using ones (my team indeed)

It's a challenge to do it hardware only and calibratiopn is likely tio be different in the way Push is made for mimetism of your session view rainbow (leds aren't placed with absolute cloning style for each pad ofn each Push, just a shift on angle with one or WTF...

Yeah. Sorry I really like big cake-like free myself from constipation with texts for explaining RGB on a musician place to share ; delicious poo here.

Want to test one so much...
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 am

This is all really simple, Ableton/Akai is using a shoddy source for their LED's. It's not rocket science to get 64 LEDs to be consistent. Ableton knows the truth of this matter as all of the videos they post the Push looks fine. There is a higher QA for the units they send out to larger name people, units that will be in the public eye. If you watch the video on the Ableton homepage you will see that Tec Beatz Push unit looks fucking flawless. Ableton just doesn't give a shit about it's customers. Bottom line, if they did they would have let everyone who bought Live 8 upgrade to 9 for free (or at least a really nice discount) since several of the features that were stated to be in the release, in fact were not.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 am

willdahbe wrote: If you watch the video on the Ableton homepage you will see that Tec Beatz Push unit looks fucking flawless. Ableton just doesn't give a shit about it's customers.
Not true.
You may not have noticed when he was in note mode, his upper Rt. pad was not lit. It should have been Blue.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:30 am

willdahbe wrote:This is all really simple, Ableton/Akai is using a shoddy source for their LED's. It's not rocket science to get 64 LEDs to be consistent.
it's not rocket science. it's expensive. have a look at the current prices for existing RGBW LEDs.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34 am

lyovino wrote:
willdahbe wrote: If you watch the video on the Ableton homepage you will see that Tec Beatz Push unit looks fucking flawless. Ableton just doesn't give a shit about it's customers.
Not true.
You may not have noticed when he was in note mode, his upper Rt. pad was not lit. It should have been Blue.
either way, his unit does not exhibit the same fluctuation of colors on note mode. Also the upper right pad does work as you can see it is blue when he's sequencing the drums. I've already stated my point, there's no need to go much further unless everyone writes Ableton and lets them know this is not acceptable. There's no reason that anyone should have to deal with such problems from such an expensive controller. Another thing to look at it is if they did use crap LEDs who's to say that they won't just start dying out in a couple years? After the warranty has expired... I can almost guarantee that within a few years time the inconsistency of the LEDs will only get worse.

sixbysix

Post by sixbysix » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 am

Man, fishmonkey. People like you are the reason why some companies can get away with pretty much anything. Grind my gears. What’s your benefit?

This text was written in Push white, by the way.

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 am

These depressing perspectives are making me consider taking real piano lessons and throw all the computers and crap outside. :lol:

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:57 am

sixbysix wrote:Man, fishmonkey. People like you are the reason why some companies can get away with pretty much anything. Grind my gears. What’s your benefit?

This text was written in Push white, by the way.
i choose to be rational and not a drama queen about every single issue. it's a fucking MIDI controller after all. when the state of world improves to the point where i can justify getting my knickers in a twist about a MIDI controller, i'll crack open the champagne.

i have a Push, no the colours are not perfect. it's certainly a lot better than the bad examples that have been posted here. and if mine was that bad i would have returned it.

however, did Ableton purposely design the Push badly to screw it's customers? no.

did they cheap out to make a bigger profit? no.

did they make a compromise of colour fidelity versus colour palette given the currently affordable technology? yes.

are they crazy for choosing white as one of the main pad colours? fuck yes.

would they have provided a perfect solution by now if this was possible? yes.

don't like it, don't buy it. bought it and don't like it, return it.

here's some more about what i think about it:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=192027&start=90

sixbysix

Post by sixbysix » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:21 am

Don’t play the »there’s worse stuff to worry about«-card. You’re posting quite a lot on this forum and play with quite expensive toys so we should leave the starving children out of this, agreed?

While it’s obvious that Ableton didn’t purposely design the Push badly (why would they?) It’s also quite obvious that the promotional footage they’re using is either color corrected or the machines where cherrypicked. Since they’ve stated on here that the machines where not cherrypicked that leaves the first option. I think it’s deceptive and not alright. Hence me returning the unit.

I don’t know wether they cheaped out to make a bigger profit. Do you? Have you opened the box and took a look at the LEDs?

Here’s the deal. I bought it seeing the footage they’ve released and some reviews. I waited for 16 weeks, I got it and realized that they’re basically pulling false advertising. I am pissed and I am returning it. Yet here you are, basically saying that I’m being too harsh on Ableton and to cut them some slack? Fuck that, I’ve had Live 8 Suite, am now on 9, bought some of their packs and always held them in high regards, but no matter their reasons, deceiving your customers and then trying to play it off as »minor brightness differences« is just garbage. Even on this forum they’re playing us for fools.

I am the first one to be back to Push once they come out and say what they are planning to do but until then that’s it.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am

there's a big difference between making a valid complaint and some of the hysterical bitching that goes on here, not to mention personal attacks.

and you know what? i agree that Ableton's marketing and PR has been pretty shaky for a while now. the post Ableton_David made was stupid, because clearly they would use better looking units for demo and marketing purposes, who wouldn't.

but yeah, i am lucky, and i work hard. even less reason to bitch.

OXXXES

Post by OXXXES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:36 pm

I decided to return mine because it is just such terrible work for the price of the thing.
I'm not at all done with Push though, I love the workflow and I'll order another one a few months down the road with the hope that my LED's are more consistent.
The issue for me isn't perfection but mine has some jarring differences when showing "white" while others who have posted in this forum have a more uniform light pink across the board even if they have some slight variation.
Changing colors helps mask it but it is not a fix. Don't settle for a crap product.
David's posts seem to be trying to sweep the issue under the rug but I don't know what else he can do considering he's paid by Ableton to keep sales from falling off due to this little "beta" batch :lol: . I doubt they will ever admit they screwed up here.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm

The off colour pads still play in tune though.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm

OXXXES wrote:Changing colors helps mask it but it is not a fix. Don't settle for a crap product.
this color issue does not in any way shape or form make Push a crap product. it is less than perfect (surprise planet earth) but it is indeed an excellent controller

i changed the colors, i'm happy with the result :D (i would have changed them anyway cuz white is too bright for me)

the photo exaggerates the circular glow:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:39 pm

irrelevant post. Content redacted.