Just got Push few questions

Discuss Push with other users.
hipdeejay

Just got Push few questions

Post by hipdeejay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:05 am

So I finally got Push after months of waiting. I'm so esscited to start messing with it.
Even tho I have no idea how to use it yet. But so far I found a few things that boggled the mind.

Is it possible to control more than 8 channels with Push?
In my experiments, on Push when I tried to browse the different channels, it wouldn't go past 8.
Am I doing it wrong? Can I say, for example, control each channel on a set that has 40+ channels? Or am I limited to the first 8 channels in a set?

Is there a way to change the global velocity settings for Push? I noticed I have to hit the pads either really soft or really hard, sometimes. Which makes playing melodies or drums a little hard. Because sometimes some of the pads won't register a hit, or the hit will be too light. Does this make sense?

Any good tutorials around on Push? Something that'll get me up and running in no time.

Also can I use Push for sets that are already in progress? Like for exampple: a track I'm working on that already has 30+ channels or so, I want to use Push to write the melody of a bassline that's on channel 22. Is this possible?

And last but not least. Is the big red box in session view necessary? I find it a bit distracting and never really liked it, even with other controllers. It also only covers the first 8 channels. Is there a way to move to other channels? This is kinda related to my first question.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this makes sense. Very esscited to start using Push! Thanks for the help in advance :D

Because789

Re: Just got Push few questions

Post by Because789 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 am

The answer to all of your questions is yes. Check out these resources to find out more:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/learn-push/
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/using-push/

27.10 is about controlling Live’s Session View
27.11 is about setting User Preferences (pad sensitivity, there is a video on this topic too)
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:47 am

Thanks that answered a lot of my questions.

For some reason, when browsing in Push. When I click Pan & Sends for example. It only shows the first 8 tracks in my set. And I can't figure out how to scroll to the rest of my set? Am I missing something?

I know you can use the arrow keys to select channels. But when I push something like "Volume" for example on Push in the display screen it only shows the first 8 tracks in the set. Also the red box window in Live also on stays on the first 8 tracks. I assume this is related.

How can I scroll to the right to show the other tracks in my set on Push? So I can mix the next 8 tracks, or adjust the pans & sends for example.

I'm sure it's something really simple I'm missing. But I couldn't find this info on the links you provided. Thanks

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 am

hipdeejay wrote:Thanks that answered a lot of my questions.

For some reason, when browsing in Push. When I click Pan & Sends for example. It only shows the first 8 tracks in my set. And I can't figure out how to scroll to the rest of my set? Am I missing something?
press Session to go into session mode then press the right arrow key to go beyond trk 8

turbomartin

Post by turbomartin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 am

I could scroll over to the other tracks straight out of the box. What kind of Live version do you use?

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 am

^^^^

only cuz you were already in session mode

mothergarage

Post by mothergarage » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:42 am

sowhoso wrote:
hipdeejay wrote:Thanks that answered a lot of my questions.

press Session to go into session mode then press the right arrow key to go beyond trk 8
and press the SHIFT button to jump in groups of 8
home | sound | twitter | m4l
Windows 10 64bit - Live 11.0.6 - M4L 8 - RME Babyface/iConnectAUDIO4+

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am

mothergarage wrote:and press the SHIFT button to jump in groups of 8
nice one!

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:56 am

Thanks for the help! Session makes all the difference.

Now is it possible to set the velocity of the Pads so no matter how hard or soft I hit them, they always register the same amount. Does that make sense? I messed with the settings in the User screen but that only changes the sensitivity.

Is there a way to make it so no it always registers the same velocity, regardless of how hard or soft I hit the pads?
This would be awesome.

Thanks so much! Push is the best

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:38 am

hit the accent button on the right, sets to 127 on all hits. Dont remember if theres a way to change the value or not though

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:26 am

This is a long shot, but is it possible to select third party plugins from Push?

Also sometimes when I'm browsing devices, on the LCD on Push, there'll be an arrow like this "->" all the way to the right of the screen. How do I go there? Can't figure it out

Thanks for all the help so far!

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 am

hipdeejay wrote:This is a long shot, but is it possible to select third party plugins from Push?
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=195634

forum search is your friend
Also sometimes when I'm browsing devices, on the LCD on Push, there'll be an arrow like this "->" all the way to the right of the screen. How do I go there? Can't figure it out
use OUT button

the manual is your friend

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:52 am

hipdeejay wrote:Thanks for the help! Session makes all the difference.

Now is it possible to set the velocity of the Pads so no matter how hard or soft I hit them, they always register the same amount. Does that make sense? I messed with the settings in the User screen but that only changes the sensitivity.

Is there a way to make it so no it always registers the same velocity, regardless of how hard or soft I hit the pads?
This would be awesome.

Thanks so much! Push is the best
press and hold 'user' and choose another velocity curve. (2nd setting)

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:31 am

sowhoso wrote: use OUT button

the manual is your friend
the what button? There is no "OUT" button...

panten

Post by panten » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 am

It's the button on the right side next to 'In'

It's true.