Recording automation directly in arragement view

Discuss Push with other users.
the bite

Recording automation directly in arragement view

Post by the bite » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:37 pm

hello,
i just ordered push, but i have one question that i can,t find. i can,t see one only video of push working with devices or recording something directly on arragement view. i,m afraid that push doesn,t work 100% when you are in arragement view.
Can you record automation directly on arragement view, control devices, record directly midi notes without to create a clip on session view, in the arragement view?
If someone can tell what is the experience with push and arragement mode,it would be very nice.
Thanks!

lyovino

Re: Recording automation directly in arragement view

Post by lyovino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 am

the bite wrote: i,m afraid that push doesn,t work 100% when you are in arragement view.
Can you record automation directly on arragement view, control devices, record directly midi notes without to create a clip on session view, in the arragement view?
If someone can tell what is the experience with push and arragement mode,it would be very nice.
Thanks!
Push is not as of yet fully active in the Arrangement. Recording your Automation works as you would expect it to. You arm the Arrange Record with your mouse (I assigned it to the "R" key) you then press the Automation button on Push and away you go turning your parameters on Push and recording them. If you try to use the record button on Push for the Arrange it starts recording for Session.

You can use the Select switches below the display and your up/down arrows to select your tracks in the Arrange "As long as you are in Note mode on Push" If you are in Session mode on Push the switches work fine for selecting your tracks, but the up/down arrows revert to changing scenes. This will probably be addressed somewhere in Pushes life cycle or just be confined to working the Arrange from Note mode.

You have normal FX adjustment from Push in the Arrange and also volume mixing. From what I can see leaving Push in Note mode is best for all of this.
No, you cannot use Push to change to the Arrange view yet.. but it works just fine for now. Hope that helps a little.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 pm

Oh and "lyovino" nice tip with the Record button Push vs Software, that should solve my issue, sorry I only completely read your post after writing mine but I leave my post now as is, thanks a lot, that's great! :oops:

Now I could imagine something like pushing shift plus record while automation is armed to do something like this should be fairly easy to implement or not, to have push notice whether I want to record Session or Arrangement automation.

Well I would love to see automation recording directly in arrangement view, so I could lay out all automations I want at the same time while recording another and view them. I know it's still possible by recording session clips to arrangement view it seems, or also by simply via "consolidate time to new scene" in arrangement view. I must say I do kind of dislike this ping pong playing, just to add some automation. Hope this is going to be added at some point in the future. Guess other way would simply be by assigning the knobs via midi map mode, but I haven't really checked that out so far. Please give us some more nice stuff via firmware update. But I am really happy with the device so far, robust nice pads and knobs all around awesome except for the USB plug you could have had something more robust like they did with Machine Mk2, where as I do pref the pads and everything else compared to Machine a lot, but again those 2 don't really compare concept-wise. :lol:

bezirani

Post by bezirani » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 pm

How to Automate MIDI track in Live 9 Arrangement View using Push

In order to record Automation on a MIDI track in Arrangement view you need to:
1. Make sure the Overdub button is selected (The plus sign in the transport bar)
2. Select the MIDI track that you want to Automate so Push brings up the Mapped Parameters
3. Hit Record and record your automation