Recommended Macro mappings for VSTs for Push?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Citizen

Recommended Macro mappings for VSTs for Push?

Post by Citizen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:14 am

I know everyone will do this slightly different - but are there any particular mappings for VSTs that work well across a different number of plug-ins?

Is it a good idea to have some consistency between what each macro knob does from VST to VST, so that switching between them is pretty intuitive? (ie. Macro 1 is always a High-Pass Filter, for example)

Also, are your mappings more directed towards a 'jamming/tweaking' usage, or are you actually doing sound-design with some VSTs entirely via 8 macros? (I'm guessing not, since most VSTs have zillions of tweakable features)

Thanks in advance!

Citizen

Re: Recommended Macro mappings for VSTs for Push?

Post by Citizen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 am

Uh, no one?

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:38 am

hi,

im only using a audio effect rack with 8 macros:
- tube drive, saturate, glue, sidechain
- low cut, high cut, cutoff (auto filter), resonance

but the time told me to change something! i think i will change tube drive with a utility for volume or using glue and sidechain as a send effect. i recommend to think about what YOU need or doing mostly on every track.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 pm

I'll hit 'Configure' on the plug in device and add all my standard parameters in groups of 8 in a way that makes sense. Either that, or use the autopopulate options.txt, then hit Configure and move the sliders around to a sensical configuration.

Then I'll group the synth into a rack. On the rack itself, I'll choose my favorite 'performance' parameters. Some synths have macros. This is probably where I'd map those. Otherwise my favorite things to modulate. Maybe filter stuff, detuning, but

The thing to also keep in mind is that if I map these parameters on the rack macros, when I dive into the rack for editing, I won't be able to control that in the plug in. So I'd have to jump back out to control that.

The last thing about macros is, if you switch to different presets on a vst, the macros might not change to accommodate. But if you make a nice preset that you really like, you can map it all up like crazy to the macros and save it as a specific preset into your Live library.

login

Post by login » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:17 pm

For synths:

Cutoof, Resonance, OSC 1 waveform, osc 2 waveform.
LFO rate, OSC mix, (random param), Output/volume

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:41 pm

what's cool about Push is that parameters are instantly mapped to encoders in banks when a VST is grouped

you don't really need to map to the macros if you don't want to. i leave macros unmapped until i need something special for a particular project

robinez

Post by robinez » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 am

i use the following method,
i create a macro group for the complete instrument rack, this contains the VST and the Effect sessions. Now for performance purposes i choose the most important parameters for the macro setup. So for instance:
- VST Cutoff
- VST Reso
- Overdrive: Distortion
- Overdrive: Dry / Wet
- Delay: Feedback
- Delay: Dry / Wet

By setting it up this way you can instantly change these parameters on the push whenever you select that track. It doesn't make sense in my opinion to route programming parameters which you don't use for your live performance to the macro's because if you want to modify those all you have to do on the push is to select the device and press the Right arrow to dive into the VST (or effect sessions) to have all the parameters available in seperate banks. So even on a detail level you can already do this on a push.
My latest push demo on youtube: Try Out Live Set Trance Classics

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 pm

sowhoso wrote:what's cool about Push is that parameters are instantly mapped to encoders in banks when a VST is grouped
I don't get this? For instance, if I load up Omnisphere and Group it, I have to enable Host Automation per knob and slider before I can start assigning and populating the Banks with encoders assigned. (It doesn't happen automatically) Am I not seeing something obvious or maybe I didn't understand? Thanks.
iMac, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 16GB
Yosemite, Live 9.xx Suite (64- bit)
Push, Apogee Ensemble

login

Post by login » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 am

lyovino wrote:
sowhoso wrote:what's cool about Push is that parameters are instantly mapped to encoders in banks when a VST is grouped
I don't get this? For instance, if I load up Omnisphere and Group it, I have to enable Host Automation per knob and slider before I can start assigning and populating the Banks with encoders assigned. (It doesn't happen automatically) Am I not seeing something obvious or maybe I didn't understand? Thanks.

Depends on the plug in. Ableton only configures it when it has 128 or less if I remeber well.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:55 am

Thanks..
Push, Apogee Ensemble

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 am

lyovino

when i grouped all my plugins i noticed Live auto mapped almost all VST fx but no VST instruments (which always have a ton of parameters) so i think login is correct

robinez

Post by robinez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 pm

sowhoso wrote:lyovino

when i grouped all my plugins i noticed Live auto mapped almost all VST fx but no VST instruments (which always have a ton of parameters) so i think login is correct
most vst instruments do work, just select the instrument in the push and press the right Arrow to dive into that instrument for programming (works for all ableton live instruments en vst synths like sylenth 1, massive, etc...)

However, the spectrasonics suite doesn't work, in my belief the cause is their own midi learn implementation, so in that case you need to assign the enable host automation to the knob or fader you want to modify in a spectrasonics vst, but you only have to set this up once and then store the grouped file as a new instrument user preset.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:32 pm

robinez wrote: most vst instruments do work...
not on any here...Kontakt, Reaktor, Alchemy, Zebra, AAS collection

robinez

Post by robinez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:41 pm

sowhoso wrote:
robinez wrote: most vst instruments do work...
not on any here...Kontakt, Reaktor, Alchemy, Zebra, AAS collection
ok good to know, i will check kontakt and reaktor to see if it also doesn't work in my setup.

the other ones i don't have, so i can't check those.

Maybe it's a good idea to create a list of which vst's do work and which don't.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:06 pm

robinez - sohowso

Thanks for confirming Omnisphere and Kontakt, which I have, and weren't auto mapping as previously mentioned. Fortunately, they both are easily mappable.
Push, Apogee Ensemble