Recommended Macro mappings for VSTs for Push?

Discuss Push with other users.
robinez

Re: Recommended Macro mappings for VSTs for Push?

Post by robinez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:02 pm

ok, I did some tests to see if kontakt, massive and FM8 would work with parameters.

Out of the box automap doesn't work indeed, however, there is a very simple trick to get them working.

Steps:
- load the instrument
- click in the instrument in the bottom row (ableton) on the configure tab to add the connected parameters.
- with configure activated select an instrument in kontakt.
- now the parameter list will be filled with the parameters from that instrument
- deactivate the configure button and now you can program the kontakt instrument with the push by pressing device and then the right arrow to dive into the parameters.

The same applies to massive.

FM8 didn't work so you have to touch the controls yourself to add them to the config panel. Keep in mind that you make banks of 8 controllers at a time, so touch the knobs that belong together for a bank.

Then save the instrument as a user preset and from then on you can program the instruments through the push.

For kontakt just do the configure trick when you select a different instrument because every instrument in kontakt is programmed differently (different parameters).

It works flawlessly over here and when you know this trick it isn't much work to set it up (for most synths i've tried that didn't support automap I only had to this once.)

This even works a little bit for omnisphere, althought omnisphere only supplies the 8 volume levels by default, the other parameters should be setup once for automation.

hope this helps :)
My latest push demo on youtube: Try Out Live Set Trance Classics

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm

That is very helpful, thanks. I will check it out further to get my head around it. I need to understand the numbers she was inputing..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm

robinez wrote:ok, I did some tests to see if kontakt, massive and FM8 would work with parameters.

Out of the box automap doesn't work indeed, however, there is a very simple trick to get them working.

Steps:
- load the instrument
- click in the instrument in the bottom row (ableton) on the configure tab to add the connected parameters.
- with configure activated select an instrument in kontakt.
- now the parameter list will be filled with the parameters from that instrument
- deactivate the configure button and now you can program the kontakt instrument with the push by pressing device and then the right arrow to dive into the parameters.

For kontakt just do the configure trick when you select a different instrument because every instrument in kontakt is programmed differently (different parameters).

It works flawlessly over here and when you know this trick it isn't much work to set it up (for most synths i've tried that didn't support automap I only had to this once.)
Thank you robinez.. I'm on a Mac and it seems to work as you say, but it was a little different. After loading Kontakt and hitting the Configure switch, it still did not populate. So, I tapped on each parameter and then saved the rack. When opening again, all the controls were not there. It was necessary to right click each controller in Kontakt and select "Assign Midi". I saved and it worked.

What was really nice was that opening a synth, drums or a bass, all of the controllers in Push reassigned themselves to the most important controls of the instrument that was loaded. Very nice!

The link above seems to be interesting. I don't as of yet understand it. In other words, by using it lets say for Omnisphere, I"m really not interested in having 128 controllers assigned. It has to do with the number you input in the options file..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 pm

There is a setting for an unlimited amount. So yeah, it Can get messy.

The idea is, use that to open a vst, tap Configure and move the sliders around in a more desirable arrangement (groups of 8 to coincide with the knobs on Push) or delete sliders that are unnecessary. Group the rack. And then save the rack as the vst's name in your User instrument folder. Then whenever you need that vst, you can load it up via Push with that layouts ready to go. To control those parameters you choose the rack and go in a level. All the parameters will be there to tweak.

Once you have a sound you like, you can map 'performance' parameters to the macros of the rack.

Or if you already know you'll use performance parameters you can map them before you save it the first time (example, Massive's 8 macros).

Now for the downside, there are a number of more complex vsts with variable parameters which hop in and out of existence. I think Kontakt is probably a good example of that. Overall though, this can be a quick way to get things showing up and ready to go.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 pm

robinez wrote: - with configure activated select an instrument in kontakt.
nice one! 90% of the time that's all i need with Kontakt

thx!

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:16 pm

so i just tried robinez little trick and it did not work for me with Kontakt (or Reaktor)...interesting

however, it did work with Alchemy and all AAS except Tassman

did not work with Zebra either

robinez

Post by robinez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 pm

sowhoso wrote:so i just tried robinez little trick and it did not work for me with Kontakt (or Reaktor)...interesting

however, it did work with Alchemy and all AAS except Tassman

did not work with Zebra either
did you activate the config button in kontakt before you loaded the instrument? Because that was necessary in my case in kontakt.

The FM8 didn't work either with that trick, I had to assign them manually once (not a big deal, but the automated fill would be nicer). So there seems to be some differences between the VSTs

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

robinez wrote:did you activate the config button in kontakt before you loaded the instrument?
yup, i did as told

i have Kontakt 5. you?

robinez

Post by robinez » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 pm

sowhoso wrote:
robinez wrote:did you activate the config button in kontakt before you loaded the instrument?
yup, i did as told

i have Kontakt 5. you?
I still use kontakt 3 (64 bits)

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm

that could be it, something changed

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:52 pm

It didn't work in Kontakt 4 also, but as I said, once the parameters were chosen and saved Live automatically populated the rack with the most important controllers each time I changed an instrument in Kontakt.
Has anyone tried the options.text that yur2die4 posted?
Last edited by lyovino on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 am

lyovino wrote:as I said once the parameters were chosen and saved Live automatically populated the rack with the most important controllers each time I changed an instrument in Kontakt.
works that way in Kontakt 5 too. cool!

thx for that!