Using Push live on stage etc...

Discuss Push with other users.
reynolds101

Using Push live on stage etc...

Post by reynolds101 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I just purchased push, and I'm really excited. It seems to open up tons of options for writing/recording. This will be my first MIDI instrument so I have a few questions.

Is push simple to use in a live setting? I play bass in a 3 pc. psychedelic pop band, with synthesizers, organ, bass, drums, and guitar. Right now we have prerecorded drum tracks with some EQ/effects going through Logic Pro, and the 3 of us playing over it live. Something I would like to do (if possible) is recreate all the drum tracks with push, and then play bass/sounds over them live. Could I do this or am I just living in a perfect world? :lol:

Also how are the stock plugins that come with Live 9? (Standard, not Suite). Is it easy to change between settings and different tones?

Kvetch

Re: Using Push live on stage etc...

Post by Kvetch » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Push is simple to use in a live setting mostly if you take the time to rack up your instruments and effects with macros. Push can scroll through all the perameters of effects but live you just want the perameters you need right there without having to scroll, just twiddling knobs and having fun. Its great for setting up clip launching sequences and having some clips that are warped and quantised launched but do not loop is great for fills and variation.

Basically if you take some time to set up your live set in advance with macros, scenes, clips etc you can do some fantastic improvisation with push and keep it all from going off kilter by setting max values for your macros etc so your effects stay musical.

You'll love it for live :)

reynolds101

Post by reynolds101 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:55 am

Kvetch wrote:Push is simple to use in a live setting mostly if you take the time to rack up your instruments and effects with macros. Push can scroll through all the perameters of effects but live you just want the perameters you need right there without having to scroll, just twiddling knobs and having fun. Its great for setting up clip launching sequences and having some clips that are warped and quantised launched but do not loop is great for fills and variation.

Basically if you take some time to set up your live set in advance with macros, scenes, clips etc you can do some fantastic improvisation with push and keep it all from going off kilter by setting max values for your macros etc so your effects stay musical.

Great, thank you. I can't wait to pick it up! Can push be used to record/play through just the USB cord or does it need to be ran through an interface?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:39 am

Push is a midi instrument/controller in Live, all you need is USB to your computer. Take some time to learn Live, start watching some Abelton videos and learn how to get around. This will provide you with a much better approach to playing out. It's a completely different concept then Logic.
Last edited by lyovino on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

DeNwA

Post by DeNwA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:49 am

reynolds101 wrote:
Kvetch wrote:Push is simple to use in a live setting mostly if you take the time to rack up your instruments and effects with macros. Push can scroll through all the perameters of effects but live you just want the perameters you need right there without having to scroll, just twiddling knobs and having fun. Its great for setting up clip launching sequences and having some clips that are warped and quantised launched but do not loop is great for fills and variation.

Great, thank you. I can't wait to pick it up! Can push be used to record/play through just the USB cord or does it need to be ran through an interface?
A computer with live 9 on it is required. Plays on even low powered laptops though. Just make sure you configure your the latency correctly, if you turn it down to far you can get the odd glitch in the audio that isn't to hot for speakers. I use "ASIO 4 ALL" driver as well.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:04 am

omg......is it.....no...it can't be......it....can't....be...possible......