The easiest scale

Discuss Push with other users.
Syver

The easiest scale

Post by Syver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi all,

I would like to know if there to create your own scale on Push.

Having never played any music instrument, for me the easiest scale to play with would be something like this :

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Oct. 8 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 7 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 6 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 5 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 4 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 3 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 2 C D E F G A B C
Oct. 1 C D E F G A B C

On this scale, pitch goes up/down as you go up/down and similar notes are always found in the same column which is very intuitive. Can this be user-defined ?

Thanks for your answers.

Logic8807

Re: The easiest scale

Post by Logic8807 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm sure it can be done somehow in user mode. I've only had my push for 3 days so I can't be of too much help.
https://soundcloud.com/thegraysmith/asp ... itch-remix

Check me out...let me know what ya'll think.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:06 pm

I dunno

The present layout makes chords really easy. I don't have to stretch my hands to play a seventh interval. Plus having the octaves 'overlapping' means that you have a number of different options open for how you would play any chord or pattern. That is a big plus. Some patterns might be very difficult with one fingering, but the fact that the rows are a fourth apart means that an alternative fingering is possible

My hands learned the 'chess knight' pattern of the default root note position in a very sort time

And you would only rarely need 8 octaves available at the same time. Even a piano, which is the instrument with the biggest 'sweet spot' only has seven and a half octaves. Many other sounds have a sweet range of two or three. So a lot of your Push real estate would go unused.

So I wouldn't see the point of this lay out.

But then again, tastes differ. 8)

Because789

Post by Because789 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:22 pm

What The Finn said + If you still want that notes layout you would have to dive into midi remote scripts (or m4l, what I wouldn't recommend for this task). You'll find a little how to for this here http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/#howtos. But be aware that you need the matching consts.py for your Live version (Julien uploaded the 9.0.5 version to his repository just three days ago). With the next Live version it probably want work anymore.

And in addition to that, don't expect a lot of help on how to do this, it's a lonely road :wink:
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

greaterthanzero

Post by greaterthanzero » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:26 pm

You're actually not talking about scales, you're talking about layout. Specifically, you're talking about eliminating row offset.

You can get close to that without any custom scripting; press SCALE, then hold SHIFT, and you should see a few offset options. It defaults to 4ths^. I'm guessing Sequent^ will -almost- do what you want (but without repeating the root in column 8, you'll probably end up with a diagonal running up the whole grid).

That said... you're stunting your own growth, and it's an enormous mistake. I've played with that layout on other controllers. I've played traditional instruments. It's easier to play this one, for more than one reason which will become obvious to you over time.

What you're describing will facilitate "two-finger typing"; using both hands to plod through simple melodies. It will not work well when you want to play a melody in one hand and a harmony in the other. And you'll only have one possible fingering for every chord voicing, which means that more often than not, the music you want to play will be impeded by terrible ergonomics, and of course your own hands getting in the way. That's incredibly rigid, where the default layout is flexible.

And really, it's this easy:

The blue square is your root. Using three fingers, play that note, the note to its right, and the note to the right of that. Then move up a row and repeat. And again. You've just played a scale.

(do you have a numeric keypad on your computer keyboard? it's exactly that layout. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, just like that)

Syver

Post by Syver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 pm

Thank you greaterthanzero for the tip. The Sequent scale layout is indeed close to the one I would like to have except for leaving unassigned pads here and there depending on the octave I am in.