Push Buttons - Component Quality?

Discuss Push with other users.

Do the spongy rocker buttons on Push make you miss hit?

Always
No votes
Sometimes
62%
Never
38%

Total votes: 13

panten

Push Buttons - Component Quality?

Post by panten » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Does anyone else consider that the buttons on Push (not the colourful pads) are a bit on the cheap side? Or were they chosen for longevity, sturdy enough to be stabbed at a million times?

I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of them. The more experienced I have become with Push the more I tend to feel my way around and use it about 70% blind.
As a result I quite often hit the corner of a button instead of dead centre but the switch underneath feels like it's on a spongy rocker. The button won't trigger and I do the equivalent of a finger 'double take'.

On the complete contrary, the playable Pads are excellent. You can tap with equal force in the very edge and the dead centre and it registers the same. Wish the periphery buttons were the same but with a little click or something.

Tarekith

Re: Push Buttons - Component Quality?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:40 pm

I like soft pads like Push has, compare to hard plastic ones that click real loud when you push them hard. So for me the Push buttons feel pretty nice, though some like Play and Rec seem a lot harder to press than others on mine. Can't comment on how well they hold up yet though, only had mine a few weeks so far.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:33 am

On the infamous on the fence thread, that was actually one of the main things I mentioned as a thing I noticed. Although I may have said it in a somewhat vague 'these buttons are robust... Maybe a little Too robust' kind of way.

It is indeed a nag when you're all caught up into some intricate timing or a short window of opportunity and the button is merely brushed.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189337&start=398 my concealed comments about the buttons

dewaldo

Post by dewaldo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 am

There is no question that the Push is a solidly built, beautiful piece of equipment.

But a few things really do annoy me:

[*] Stuck pads. The most playable pad sensitivity (~ -10) inevitably results in stuck pads. It blows.

[*] Tap tempo. Who in the hell decided to use that type of button for tap tempo? I don't enjoy smushing down a 'two-layered' button every beat. I should be able to play it like one of the drum pads. Duh..?

panten

Post by panten » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:43 am

It's not so much the softness that bothers me but that the switch in the exact centre, sitting on some kind of ball socket that allows the button to rotate before finally popping down.

It's the initial rocking motion before actually triggering that bothers me. Especially on the REC button, as that's the one I want to reliably trigger on the spur of the moment milliseconds before I overdub or 'record in' after practicing a rhythm.

Yur2die4, Ah I remember that 'rugged' comment now. Overall I think the Push build is quality but this is the only thing I personally find an issue.

dewaldo, That Tap Tempo button was the 1st one that bothered me. I find it next to impossible to capture the tempo accurately.
I think I might've requested this already but a much better method would be to Activate Tap Tempo Mode Which momentarily takes over the 8x8 pads that you can then tap.

login

Post by login » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:26 pm

I have never liked rubber buttons. As a DJ I grew more familiar with Pioneer hard plastic and clicky buttons, and hated dennon rubber ones. Hard buttons last longer and the click makes its operation more precise.

It's not much of a problem in Push because you don't need so much precision, but yes it is annoying.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes they are a bit annoying. I'd rather them be hard plastic like on the apc40. you can hold your finger on them then hit them with little force (or a lot) and there's never any problem with mis-triggering them or not triggering them at all. I imagine (or hope) in a couple years there will be replacement pads perhaps. Replacement lcd with a higher contrast would be nice as well.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:39 pm

honestly after using arcade buttons, its hard to go back to any other kind. Really wish a major manufacturer would see the light.

panten

Post by panten » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:57 pm

I reckon that arcade buttons would have both positive AND negative points.

+
  • A definite tactile response for Boolean functions.
  • Slippery surface makes for a good hit and run when you're working fast.
-
  • Perhaps too sensitive causing accidental hits when a body part brushes against the buttons.
  • Loud. Could keep household awake with the incredible din these buttons make.
  • Would need constant replacement. Judging from countless hours playing StreetFighter IV.
I actually kinda like the 'feel' of the surface of the Push buttons as they are, I just wish they had an even and more solid action. That rocker switch just isn't fun to work with.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:57 am

Street Fighter 4 Life.