Push in my mailbox today !

Discuss Push with other users.
Sternenlicht

Push in my mailbox today !

Post by Sternenlicht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi I orderd a Push during the weekend, and i will have it in my mailbox today, i saw a video tutorial which convinced me finally to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkocY2Sjyyc

The guy there is mark towers, and does a pretty good job selling these thing.

Buuuut, there was this other Vid, where they said, that i cant record automation, into clips in session view, which Mark Tower above said, it is possible now in live 9 ?

I am kind of confused, the question is essentially:

Can i use push effectively in the arrangement view ? (The view, where you dont have a grid, you have normal vertical tracks.)

regards

Sternenlicht
https://soundcloud.com/sternenlicht/rohkostler

Live 9.5 / Push / Omnisphere / Elektron Analog 4 / Analog RYTM /Octatrack

Because789

Re: Push in my mailbox today !

Post by Because789 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Sternenlicht wrote:Buuuut, there was this other Vid, where they said, that i cant record automation, into clips in session view
That's plain wrong, session automation came with Live 9 and works very well with Push.
Sternenlicht wrote:Can i use push effectively in the arrangement view ?
That's a different story, check the following thread for a discussion on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=197584
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:29 pm

I checked yesterday, i cant see automation in the clips ?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Session view per-clip automation most certainly works with Push/live 9. Be sure to have the "Automation" button as well as the red record button engaged for your clips to record automation data.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:29 pm

I have it now in front of me, when i press record while in arrangement view, it records into session view ??

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:45 pm

I think there might a misunderstanding here. Push records AUTOMATION perfectly into session view, per clip. Automation here being that you already have your loop (or not, doesn't really matter), and you adjust parameters with the 8 encoder knobs, for whichever device you want. These adjustments will be recorded just to the current clip. Or maybe you already get this, and you just want to know about arrangement recording.

Arrangement recording, being something completely different - does not work in Push's default state, unless you use 3rd party scripts, like PXT for Live.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Sternenlicht wrote:Hi I orderd a Push during the weekend, and i will have it in my mailbox today

that's a big ass mailbox

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 pm

watched that video, my immediate thought: what the hell is wrong with that cameraman? Looks like he's set the camera on 24fps with a weird tungsten colour balance that is all out of whack. Not to mention the complete lack of focus. Weird.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 am

sowhoso wrote:
Sternenlicht wrote:Hi I orderd a Push during the weekend, and i will have it in my mailbox today

that's a big ass mailbox
LMAO! :lol:
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Ok, i found now the automation in the clip's , but its strange that pressing record on arrangement view, starts recording in session view.
After i learned live 8, arrangement view war the way to go, but i will give the session view, improvisation style a go, it was fun plaing around with the push, so far i did not regret it.

What was not intuitive was:

I loaded a drum rack, and expanded the rack so, that each drum has it's own mixer. I tryed to figure out, how to
fold in the drum rack again, to get rid of the individual sounds page.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:42 pm

Ah so when you press record in arrangement view on the live interface (not on Push), it records to session view? You have to press the "back to arrangement" button for that.

But yes, give the session view a try. I use this 99% of the time. Fantastic way to very quickly try out different musical parts with other parts, which could be much more time-consuming in arrangement view. Also just purely jamming is great fun, and you can come up with stuff you'd never thought of doing.Once I'm ready to record the finalised arrangement, I start to record to that view, and fire off clips in the order I want, thus arranging it on the fly. Only then will I enter arrangement view to polish the recording etc.

To collapse the drum rack views, simply use the "back/level up" buttons. You'll figure it out - once you get the workflow, the rest becomes very intuitive. most things use the same logic on Push.

Sternenlicht

Post by Sternenlicht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Ohmann ! I am so pleased with Push now, its sooo much better than the APC40 !, i could really do so much already in Push, without using a mouse, its just pure fun! Working in Session view, is really a good approach now, as automation could be recorded. Its a nice device as well, i could sit in the darkness, and really space out with music. This really makes live an instrument i always wanted it to be. HAPPY !

Also its very intuitive, i did not have to read the manual much, most of the actions are very clear. (Ok some things i have looked up, but most of the things are obvious.) I already had the monitor going to sleep without that i notice it, and without the need to reactivate it. (Used it for 3 evenings now, and the workflow just gets better and better.)