Change the parameter mapping of Lives own devices in Push!

Discuss Push with other users.
TomViolenz

Change the parameter mapping of Lives own devices in Push!

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:29 pm

The project:
As a prospective user of Push, I marveled at its potential and then got frustrated at all the little things that kept it from being perfect for what I'd like to do with it. My biggest gripe was always the way the parameters of Lives own devices were arranged in Push and how there seemed to be nothing that could be done about it. And then I started to wonder: maybe there IS something that could be done about it….
The result of this endeavor is the file you can download now. After we (I got shortly a big chunk of the Live community involved - thanks guys, great work! :-)), figured out how to change the settings, we decided to save all you guys some work and just make our favorite mapping and then just share it … and here it is: :)

Download:

-Goto: http://filepi.com/i/i2Ibe91
-Version V1.1 now available at
http://filepi.com/i/b5EbYM0
(Only Sampler mapping has changed with all the envelope slopes and Reverse)
-Download the .zip file and unzip it.

Thanks go to Stray(Metastatic) for all the useful information he provided for achieving this goal. To shadx312 for further information, as well as syncr and Valiumdupeuple for preliminary testing.
Most of the mapping and the initial start of the project was done by TomViolenz and most of the testing by tedlogan.

We hope you will enjoy this as much as we will!
Tom and Ted :-)

Important:
This will give you a much enhanced mapping of your Live devices in Push! But because you are overwriting the _Generic version of the necessary file, this will affect ALL MIDI remote surfaces you use.
If you just use Push, this may not matter to you. But if you already use others, you should check if this changes functionality you need for those!
If you don't like the new mapping, just reverse it by the steps described below.

Installation:
1: Shut down Live
2: Go to your program directory, right click on the Live 9 icon and choose "Show Package Content"
3: Go to: Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/_Generic and rename the Devices.pyc file in it to defaultDevices.pyc
4: Drop the Devices.py file from this download into this folder
5: Restart Live (The new mappings should now be in place)

Note: If you use several different versions of Live 9, you will have to repeat this procedure for each of them, if you wish to use this mapping with all of them. (But you can of course just choose one)

Optional
6: Go back to the same location. You'll now see that Live has compiled your Devices.py into Devices.pyc, while leaving the Devices.py intact.
You can now rename this Devices.py file to customDevices.py
In this way you always have a copy of it in case Ableton overwrites the Devices.pyc when it up-dates.

Reversal:
7: Shut down Live
8: Go to your program directory, right click on the Live 9 icon and choose "Show Package Content"
9: Go to: Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/_Generic and rename the Devices.pyc file in it to customDevices.pyc
10: Rename the file defaultDevices.pyc that you named in step 3 to Devices.pyc
11: Restart Live (The default mappings should now be in place again)

Adapting your new mapping to your needs:
You can adapt the supplied community mapping to your specific need quite easily. How this is achieved is explained here in metastatiks second post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198704&start=75

If you have any questions or suggestions you can also post here in this very thread.

Disclaimer: Everything you do with the community mapping, you do on your own risk, we are not liable for any damage that may occur!

To the Ableton employee reading this:
This community mapping of Lives devices in Push enhances in our opinion their and its usefulness immensely. Every user of this mapping is already a paying customer for at least one of your products (Push). So please don't do anything on purpose to break this method.
In case you find that this mapping is indeed better than the default mapping you supplied, feel free to use it for future up-dates as you wish, no need to ask!

Notes for some of the device mappings:

EQ8: We tried to have every conceivable combination mapped. The first banks are dedicated to Stereo processing, while the later ones are for Mid/Side and Left/Right. Unfortunately it is not possible to assign the switch between Stereo and Mid/Side-Left/Right. You will need to use the mouse for that. BandListen is also not assignable.

Glue Compressor: It was note possible to assign the "listen to side chain only" toggle in Glue like we could in Lives compressor.

Analog/Operator/Sampler:
We made extensive mappings with all useful combinations of parameters we could think of. General controls are usually on the first banks, while relational controls (e.g. all Attacks of all available envelopes) are in the later banks.

Operator: Because of a bug in Live, we were not able to assign all Shaper/Drive parameters (For some reason the API outputs them as identical names...).

Sampler:This is not a bug, and it is therefore much harder to understand how one could think that it is useful to make ALL the controls of the LFOs 2 and 3, as well as the Aux Envelope available, but NOT their modulation targets or even the modulation amounts!!! Hopefully this will be changed in the future!

Known issues:
Some small devices don't display the correct bank names (you can access them though, they are just named Bank1….etc.). We don't understand yet why.
Last edited by TomViolenz on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

tedlogan

Re: Change the parameter mapping of Lives own devices in Push!

Post by tedlogan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm

For those of you who use Live's native devices extensively on Push and want complete control over them, or wish to do so, these mappings of Tom are indispensable. Ableton should use these - the default device layouts are very much lacklustre.

For example, having access to 99% of Operator, and shaping sound, or making your own preset from scratch has never been so much fun, and the way it is layed out amongst the extensive banks is clear, in-depth and logical.
Last edited by tedlogan on Sun May 03, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Can I just say thanks!

Cheers
D

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 am

Just out of curiosity, has this been tested by anyone that also uses an APC40 to see what it/if it affects any mappings?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

I also use an APC40, and while I was testing, it did not seem to exhibit any odd behaviour, but at the same time, I only used some of the faders and macro knobs. I will check it out tonight.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:00 pm

It was always useless to me, unless you looked at the PC screen, and even then, it would bug out most of the time, ie the functionality of those 8 macro knobs would cease completely, can't remember how I made it happen. They're good for controlling the top level 8 Macro knobs though. Even then, you gotta remember what's what....the dark ages...

manutech

Post by manutech » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Very helpful , thanks for your awesome work guys.
I haven't tested it for a long time but it seems that this mapping is much more convenient for me than the default ableton device mapping.
Thanks again :)

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Amazing! Thank you all for your work this is a real game changer for me. :twisted:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 am

Amaxing, thanks a lot, this looks interesting, I am very impressed!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:47 am

Maybe you need to rename the thread. Currently it seems like it could be a demand, or a suggestion.

Perhaps something like :

Enhanced Push controls for devices available now
Push essential extended device mapping here
Push HD - extreme ultra mega mapping
Push enhanced control over devices

etc
etc

EDIT - if you're a Push user and you regularly use Live's effects and instruments, this is indeed an essential patch.

nightscope

Post by nightscope » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Many thanks to the team who put this together. I can see a whole lotta work went into it. Great job.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:45 am

Thanks for making this
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Appreciate the coolness and the effort!!

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:11 pm

awesome! excellent work! between this and the new melodic sequencer, I can't say I have much more to complain about with Push!

playing with this was my christmas day, cheers!