Best way for iPad to complement/supplement Push?

Discuss Push with other users.
AtomikA

Best way for iPad to complement/supplement Push?

Post by AtomikA » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:49 am

I already own a Push and an iPad running Lemur (with an iconnect midi 2+), and I am looking for advice as for how I can leverage the power and flexibility of the iPad's huge touch screen to help increase the "hands on" workflow of Push, and perhaps take care of some of the things it can't do so well. In my opinion the iPad has the potential to be a better "mixer" due to the lack of faders on Push, and the iPads ability to display visual feedback like the volume faders in touchable.

I have used live control 2 and I love the clip launching (colors match perfect, text display, ability to leave push in note mode all the time), but I think it falls mega short with it's mixer (in the specialized context I am wanting it for). I would rather have a dedicated page of volume sliders that aren't locked to certain channels and displays at least text feedback (i.e. functioning like a remote script rather than a controller mapped using live's midi mapping feature). Touchable 2 looks like it's better suited to this, and seeing the video where a bcf 2000 was connected to the touchable 2 and using the motorized faders with it's remote midi script was pretty cool. Does anyone have any experience using the new touchable with Push already?

Am I missing an opportunity to take advantage of the iPad in another way all together? Perhaps via Max for Live since I have Live 9 Suite, or using the iPad to control something in Komplete 7 which I also have. Options with remote scripts like live control 2 offer great stand alone control of Ableton much like push itself, but I feel like there has to be a better option for using the two in conjunction. Any personal advice, ideas, or input at all is greatly welcomed and appreciated :)

drez

Re: Best way for iPad to complement/supplement Push?

Post by drez » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:39 pm

You should check out touchable2. This is a fantastic piece of work and for mixing, i think might be what you are looking for. I have used it for for a long time and the version 2 update is top notch.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

weswook

Post by weswook » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 am

drez wrote:You should check out touchable2. This is a fantastic piece of work and for mixing, i think might be what you are looking for. I have used it for for a long time and the version 2 update is top notch.
+1 for Touchable2. I have been using some of the basic solo, arm, mute functions as opposed to fiddling with Push's. It's very nice to activate the action very quickly from the iPad.

AtomikA

Post by AtomikA » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 pm

weswook wrote:
drez wrote:You should check out touchable2. This is a fantastic piece of work and for mixing, i think might be what you are looking for. I have used it for for a long time and the version 2 update is top notch.
+1 for Touchable2. I have been using some of the basic solo, arm, mute functions as opposed to fiddling with Push's. It's very nice to activate the action very quickly from the iPad.

Thanks for the tip guys, do you find any lag over wifi on Touchable 2? I got the iconnect Midi for Lemur because there is a bit of latency over wifi. I know they are currently making toucheable compatible with hardwire, but for now it only works over the air, so I'm wondering if it has the same shortcoming with latency like any of the Lemur templates I've used did.

SicksentZ

Post by SicksentZ » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:49 pm

I've had great results with TouchAble over wifi, just be sure to create your own Ad-Hoc network rather than using a router. When on the road, I use touchable for a lot of the process, including playing drum racks, keys etc....

drez

Post by drez » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:57 am

SicksentZ wrote:I've had great results with TouchAble over wifi, just be sure to create your own Ad-Hoc network rather than using a router. When on the road, I use touchable for a lot of the process, including playing drum racks, keys etc....
I've had good results as well. I usually quantized my drums anyway, but they aren't off by much. Then it's easy to flip over to clip view and nudge stuff exactly where you want to put it in the pocket. This touchable update just blew me away.
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:53 pm

I had Touchable 1 and just did the update to 2 including the server. It's true that they covered a lot of what Push can do but I am haveing problems using it and hope someone can give some advise. Each time I record or play back a set (All midi and just 4 or 5 tracks) my audio starts to fizzle out with crackling and Live's tempo slows down almost to a halt. I added an Ad-hoc and got the exact same. Then when reloading I can't find the Ad hoc? I do see it in System Pref/Network/Wifi/Proxies but not selectable and nowhere to be found on the iPad. Hoping someone can shed some knowledge as the program is killer along side of Push..

Also, RAM fluctuates up/down ferociously and from what I can see I have to recreate the ad hoc "device" every time I want to connect? Why can't I add a network that is always there to select..
I have watched too many videos on creating ad hoc and still.. thanks and sorry for the ignorance and rant. Just a little frustrated. :mrgreen:
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm on PC but I just connect with my normal wireless network. I don't go mobile with my rig so don't need a direct pc connection but over standard WIFI it works fine for me.

In regards to the "slowdowns" does that happen only when the touchable server is running?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 am

jestermgee wrote:
In regards to the "slowdowns" does that happen only when the touchable server is running?
Yes, the audio and midi are compromised.. When I quite the server it was there but shortly afterwards it clears up. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:50 am

Hmmm, if it's causing issues when you have the server open then I would think it's a touchable issue moreso.

Even when I am not using Touchable I always have the server running as it opens automatically when I start Live and so far I haven't noticed any difference with or without it running or if I connect the ipad or not. I'm not a good example though as I am on PC.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:27 am

Thank you for replyIng. What is odd is when I setup an ad hoc it doesn't show up in ipad as a network, rather it is in the Device list below to be selected. When I close all and come back I cannot reselect anything without completely setting up again (reconfiguring) everything. It is not a network, it's a Device. I've read that a device gets deleted by OSX when it's closed. I can't seem to create an actual network?
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:45 am

Problem solved! :D

My iMac is connected via ethernet, I keep wifi off on it. My iPad is connecting to my Verizon routers wifi with it's own IP address. Now, this is odd but it works flawlessly. My iPad is connecting wifi but when I start the touchable server it (touchable) connects to the IP address of my ethernet even though the iPad has it's own IP. The TouchAble server just connects and I'm off and running with no lag and the audio is right on. So basically I fixed it by doing absolutely nothing. All this time I have been creating ad-hocs that were erratic and unreliable.. go figure! If this makes any sense to anyone please elaborate.
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

drez

Post by drez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 am

lyovino wrote:Problem solved! :D

My iMac is connected via ethernet, I keep wifi off on it. My iPad is connecting to my Verizon routers wifi with it's own IP address. Now, this is odd but it works flawlessly. My iPad is connecting wifi but when I start the touchable server it (touchable) connects to the IP address of my ethernet even though the iPad has it's own IP. The TouchAble server just connects and I'm off and running with no lag and the audio is right on. So basically I fixed it by doing absolutely nothing. All this time I have been creating ad-hocs that were erratic and unreliable.. go figure! If this makes any sense to anyone please elaborate.
When it was broke, did you have both wireless and Ethernet active at the same time?

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:14 am

drez wrote: When it was broke, did you have both wireless and Ethernet active at the same time?
No I did not. Tonight was the first time I tried it with computer to ethernet, my everyday setup..
I was following touchable directions to add the ad hoc. So I had turned on wifi to the computer and created the network for the iPad to sync with Live and thats when all the trouble started. Out of frustration and 2 days of agony, I turned off wifi to the computer and reconnected ethernet. I opened the touchable server and bam, home run.. Computer is ethernet connected and iPad is wifi with it's own address, while touchable server is connecting to the ethernet address. It's working above expectations..
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

drez

Post by drez » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:26 am

lyovino wrote:
drez wrote: When it was broke, did you have both wireless and Ethernet active at the same time?
No I did not. Tonight was the first time I tried it with computer to ethernet, my everyday setup..
I was following touchable directions to add the ad hoc. So I had turned on wifi to the computer and created the network for the iPad to sync with Live and thats when all the trouble started. Out of frustration and 2 days of agony, I turned off wifi to the computer and reconnected ethernet. I opened the touchable server and bam, home run.. Computer is ethernet connected and iPad is wifi with it's own address, while touchable server is connecting to the ethernet address. It's working above expectations..
Glad you got it sorted.

Pretty awesome tho, isn't it? :)