push with nocturn, djing...not great. Isotonik for push?

Discuss Push with other users.
irrelevance

push with nocturn, djing...not great. Isotonik for push?

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:34 am

Been producing in ableton for a while and come from a traditional dj background 2 decks mixer beatmatching etc although I do not consider myself a dj mabye more performance artist who appreciates the benefits that live gives me over dedicated controllers for traditional dj's. Problem I'm having is finding a way to integrate racks that make sense in my template containing a simple two deck scheme with each deck hosting racks for eqs and buttons to activate sends for magic send fx.
Even though I can lock each controller to each deck push just isn't ideal jumping through banks in a rack taking focus from loop views etc means I'm constantly fiddling with the computer even with the tracks pre warped and while automap once setup is fairly good the extra layer of software irks me and the build quality/feel of the nocturn is a real turn off....

So looking around for solutions and it seems at present the only solution is gonna cost me the price of an apc40 Isotonik, desk real-estate and a second gig bag... :( From what I've been reading serato/twitch may be on the way out (is this true?) and I have no desire to learn traktor. Eagerly waiting for news on Isotonik for push and if the dev reads this please let me know if there is a beta...sh*t even a alpha release to get things started in the right direction.

I'm sure push can be a great dj controller given the right max for live coding but right now it's not so great and this is frustrating.

yur2die4

Re: push with nocturn, djing...not great. Isotonik for push?

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 am

I think the main ingredient you are missing is faders.

With some faders, you can lay all your other stuff out logically in comparison to their arrangement.

When mixing it is always handy to have immediate control at all times of fading and EQ of all channels.

Even the APC40 required a little bit of compromise in that department. You could assign something but it meant overriding some other natural function. Or if you felt sneaky you could map the faders to EQ haha.

But yeah, constant access to specific parameters helps a lot. You can control those without even looking. That'll free up your looking time for the Push display. (Btw, Korg NanoKontrol2 is about $60, sometimes it is a throw in for bundles. It's not superb, but it's handy and has a small footprint)

simplemusic

Post by simplemusic » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:20 am

not sure if this is what you are after, but I had a similar problem which I get around by using the Nocturn in User mode, with the 8 push buttons mapped (in my case) to the eight effect racks, one on each of the 8 tracks I run (Audio(1-5)=Kick, Drums, Bass, backing and leads, Midi (7-9) for live playing and looping.

That way I can independent to the push, enable one of the track's effects and tweak away.

I am also going to hardlink another Nocturn view to a specific effects rack that I use most often, which will mean I could then simultaneously have effects accessible on the Push and Nocturn.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 am

yur2die4 wrote:I think the main ingredient you are missing is faders.

With some faders, you can lay all your other stuff out logically in comparison to their arrangement.

When mixing it is always handy to have immediate control at all times of fading and EQ of all channels.

Even the APC40 required a little bit of compromise in that department. You could assign something but it meant overriding some other natural function. Or if you felt sneaky you could map the faders to EQ haha.

But yeah, constant access to specific parameters helps a lot. You can control those without even looking. That'll free up your looking time for the Push display. (Btw, Korg NanoKontrol2 is about $60, sometimes it is a throw in for bundles. It's not superb, but it's handy and has a small footprint)
Yes definitely not enough immediate control I lose valuable seconds flipping between menus!! :? :oops:

And simplemusic thanks for the insight but now my nocturn doesn't even respond and automap can't find it...hmm either I hurt it's feelings :oops: or these are just ongoing usb issues on this old gigabyte motherboard pc which won't happen with macbook but this is the kind of annoyance I'm trying to clear out of the studio.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:47 pm

irrelevance wrote:Eagerly waiting for news on Isotonik for push and if the dev reads this please let me know if there is a beta...sh*t even a alpha release to get things started in the right direction.

I'm sure push can be a great dj controller given the right max for live coding but right now it's not so great and this is frustrating.
Agreed... Been quiet for the last week as i get my hands on the unit properly and work out the control methodology so i can port across key feature from Isotonik to the new template (no idea what to call it yet)

Cheers
D

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Great I will try to be less impatient! :lol:

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:31 am

No worries, i'll have details of the first stage up on the Facebook site in a week or so... Like Isotonik it's likely to be a bit of a journey!

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:55 am

Could you fill me in on what Isotonik for Push would do, how it differs from PXT and for what use cases it is considered useful?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:18 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Could you fill me in on what Isotonik for Push would do, how it differs from PXT and for what use cases it is considered useful?
It'll be primarily a template and max4live devices focused on performing in session mode with audio clips, PXT is excellent for what it does our stuff has always focused on the live performance rather than the studio....

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Well, I guess my question was what the exact differences would be. I have difficulties to see what differences in workflow that entails. What kind of things can I do with Isotonik, that are not possible (or more complex) with PXT.
Basically I'm trying to decide if this would be something that would interest me.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:11 pm

It doesn't yet exist yet Tom so impossible for me to do a like for like comparison...

I've been putting stuff out for about as long as Stray and focus on max4live rather than Python...

You can see what Isotonik does for the APC40 at www.isotonikstudios.com...

Basically the functionality of that along with a number of the features of the Modular Series will be incorporated such as looping audio clips on the fly, automatic follow actions etc.

Keep in touch through the www.facebook.com/IsotonikStudios page which is where we keep the updates going on what we're working on!

Cheers
D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:16 am

I expect you will post a release here too, right?!
(I don't do FaceBook)
So I'll keep my eyes open, for when that happens.
Cheers.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

Of course ;-)

There's always the twitter feed @IsotonikStudios or the website....

Cheers
D

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 am

Well I had to give up on using Live for now and jumped on Traktor and have to say that while it's mapping is cumbersome in comparison to Live, the controller led output is a whole lot more powerful in scope. Push in user mode with Traktor is great as I can customize each led output/colour, input switch action, visual metronome, browser control...the list goes on. Would be great to have Live and Traktor running together but not sure if my laptop can cope but will still check out Isotonik for Push when it lands.

manutech

Post by manutech » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:18 am

I do not know if you are interested but there is a Traktor mapping for Push you can try here https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1559 .

I 've played with it for a while and found it pretty useful.