Drum Rack Chains in Instrument Rack... odd behavior.

Discuss Push with other users.
beef_wellington

Drum Rack Chains in Instrument Rack... odd behavior.

Post by beef_wellington » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm

I have a couple of Drum Racks as Chains within an Instrument Rack. When I manually select the 2nd chain (and switch the Chain Selector), the Push's Macros update correctly, but not the 4x4 sample pad display. I can trigger the new Drum Rack, but the illuminated pads still match the first Chain.

Also... as soon as I press Record on the current clip slot, the Rack jumps back to the first Chain.

This seems buggy. Is anyone else able to successfully navigate and record using multiple Drum Rack Chains?

mux

Re: Drum Rack Chains in Instrument Rack... odd behavior.

Post by mux » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 am

I just want to chime in, I know this is a very old post but I'm seeing the same behaviour both on Live 9.1 and on Beta 914b1.

Very frustrating.
http://mux.ca <-- techno lives here.

mux

Post by mux » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:34 pm

steps to reproduce:
  • 1. create a new MIDI track
    2. drag an instrument rack onto this track, select it - Push shows a note sequencer
    3. open the chain section of the rack
    4. drag a drum rack into the instrument rack - Push changes layout to a drum sequencer
    5. drag a second (third, fourth, eighth, whatever) drum rack into the instrument rack
    6. populate the first drum rack by dragging a few samples to some pads. note the dim yellow LEDs in the drum sequencer glow brighter to reflect which pads have samples assigned
    7. populate the second (third, fourth) drum rack with samples in the same way. use different pads than the first drum rack
    8. select the different drum racks with the chain selection function of the instrument rack. note that the yellow LEDs on the Push do not change to reflect the sample-occupied pads on the selected drum rack.
now, for extra credit:
  • 1. create two (or three, or four, or eight) new MIDI clips in the same channel as this instrument rack
    2. make drum patterns in each clip, and create a clip envelope on each such that the clips select different chains and as such use a different drum rack for each pattern
    3. launch these clips, and notice that on the Push, the selected drum pad turns blue (as expected), the currently-triggering drum pads turn green (as expected), and the steps of the step sequencer light up to reflect the notes of the sequence
so, basically, from a user perspective everything about sequencing multiple drum racks in an instrument rack works as expected, except that the LEDs indicating the sample-occupied pads do not show the correct values.

one more interesting point: if I make a blank chain as the first chain, then put drum racks on the second/third/forth/whatever chains, it's still the first drum rack's occupied pads that get reflected by the Push LEDs.

I thought perhaps this problem/solution might be related, but after screwing with every possible combination of auto-select for at least three hours straight last night I was unable to get the Push to show the correct pad occupations.

yes, I have filed a bug about this.

mux

Post by mux » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:16 pm

bug acknowledged! looks like we're not crazy after all, beef_wellington. :)

portrhombus

Post by portrhombus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm guessing this has not been fixed yet?

I've noted that not only does the drum rack display not update when you have a different chain selected, but the mute/solo buttons don't work. Doesn't matter which chain I have selected, it only mutes the rack pads on the first chain.

Pretty major thing for the Push to suck the life out of chains like this, especially for live work.

ratox

Post by ratox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:53 am

Any solution to this? I have push 2 and ableton 9.7 beta 6 and still have the problem

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:43 am

Hi Ratox,
It looks like this bug had been reintroduced lately, the devs are aware of it.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:22 pm

I think I reported a similar problem with the beta version only (9.7b6). There was a workaround which was to turn off the green "Auto Select" button in the lower left corner of the rack.
Make some music!

nikkata

Post by nikkata » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Bump. Any word on when this might be fixed? It would be very useful to be able to scroll through drum racks in 64-pad mode and actually see what's changing.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:44 pm

nikkata wrote:Bump. Any word on when this might be fixed? It would be very useful to be able to scroll through drum racks in 64-pad mode and actually see what's changing.
Have you tried 9.7b8? The problem I reported is gone there, but the issue of this thread might not be the same.
Make some music!

nikkata

Post by nikkata » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:51 am

Stromkraft wrote:
Have you tried 9.7b8? The problem I reported is gone there, but the issue of this thread might not be the same.
I am running 9.7.1.

Still having the issue with my Push 1.
Using the chain selector of an instrument rack to select between drum racks it contains will effectively change to which drum rack the Push outputs notes, but the Push display does not update to reflect the selected drum rack's active pads.

celloincage

Post by celloincage » Tue May 23, 2017 9:12 am

about chain selector.
I use chain selector to use different drum racks in live.
at the begining of a song, a clip selects the drum rack I use.
but, if In a scene i make a clip, a new one(in whitch there is not the enveloppe ), the clip will play one the first drum rack !

clay

Post by clay » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 pm

i actually just posted a question about this issue. has anyone found a workaround? bug seems to have made its way into Live 10 :(

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:36 pm

clay wrote:i actually just posted a question about this issue. has anyone found a workaround? bug seems to have made its way into Live 10 :(
Hi Clay,
I've delete your topic, as this one is already the right place to discuss the issue.
cheers
j
Ableton Forum Moderator

McAnix

Post by McAnix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 pm

Okay, so I also just made a topic about this issue and it looks like it's still a problem. Anyone found a workaround yet?