What can you do with a single pad?

Discuss Push with other users.
bobland

What can you do with a single pad?

Post by bobland » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

A while ago, I saw a demo of Push where the player bent notes by pressing the corner of a pad. I've yet to see this demonstrated again anywhere. Ideally, I'd like to be able to bend a note up and down and control the volume as well, possibly throwing in a control parameter as well (i.e., filter cutoff). I've finally got the cash together but I don't want to be disappointed by not having this feature.

I don't play professionally, nor do I DJ and I'm not a "beats centric" person. My music is more a synthesis of Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd Bela Bartok, Igor Stravinsky, Arvo Part, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Bulgarian Singers...etc.

I'm currently using LaunchPad95 and enjoying the freedom but now I long for more expression on the pads.

If you can offer some ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Burt

re:dream

Re: What can you do with a single pad?

Post by re:dream » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:01 pm

bobland wrote: My music is more a synthesis of Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd Bela Bartok, Igor Stravinsky, Arvo Part, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, The Bulgarian Singers...etc.
You don't need push, you need an orchestra.

More seriously though, I have never heard of anyone bending notes by pressing a corner of a pad. There is the touch strip on the Push, which is an inferior kind of modwheel. But not pressing corners. Can you provide a link?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Pressure sensitivity applies to the pad overall, but that isn't directly related to a corner or edge.

The Quneo and other devices by that manufacturer have some interesting mechanisms, but they currently do not have an actual 8x8 layout with Push's note arrangement style.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm

I suppose you could, in the VST of your choice, enable aftertouch to bend pitch depending on how hard you press. Not ideal, but can be experimented with. Otherwise just use the touch strip, which is quite responsive.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 pm

I suspect he pressed the corner only because that equaled a lighter touch for him.

To influence the volume or other parameters by pressure ammount is possible with assigning aftertouch. Opererator and Sampler have that for sure (others might too, but I don't use them) and many vst instruments do.

Making dark side of the moon type music with Push and Live is absolutely possible (that's how far technology has advanced, that it is now a single controller for home users and some software 8O ) BUT!!! You will have to set it up for that and find your own workflow, outside the one that naturally comes with Push. So if you are new to Live, or making music electronically at all, expect some time to pass and some effort to be spend before you made Push the perfect tool box.

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 am

Would Push CCs do the job? See the video/blurb on this page:

http://blog.dubspot.com/5-ableton-push- ... e-devices/

As far as I understand it you can use the pads a bit like a QuNeo via User mode with Push CCs.