Ableton push and 16 levels of velocity

Discuss Push with other users.
djMickSwell

Ableton push and 16 levels of velocity

Post by djMickSwell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:39 pm

Hello. I know this is probably not possible. I see that it is possible to get full velocity on the Push by holding shift and pressing accent. I am curious to know if it is possible to get "16 levels" on Push like the MPD offers. So, for example, selecting a pad which has a hi hat on it, and activating a 16 level velocity across the 16 pads so that the velocity of the hi hat increased from pads 1 to 16, 16 being full velocity. If this is possible that will be amazing. Thanks.

djMickSwell

Re: Ableton push and 16 levels of velocity

Post by djMickSwell » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

Anyone have any idea?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:09 am

This isn't supported, but you could kind of hack something together by creating a special Drum Rack with the same sound on all 16 pads, but with a "Velocity" plugin on each pad limiting the velocity for each pad to a different level (so e.g. pad 1 velocity range is 8 to 8, pad 2 is 16 to 16...). You could even add "External Instrument" devices to each pad so they all trigger the same note on another device. However, it's not really an ideal solution :) It might be possible to put something together in Max for Live to do this...
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the workaround tom_d, that's the beauty of Live, you can think creatively round problems.

Ideally 16 levels of velocity would be something you could toggle on/off quickly at will. This way it wouldn't disrupt the workflow.

djMickSwell

Post by djMickSwell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply I appreciate it.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:29 pm

That's a feature that was always standard in MPC's. It would be nice to have that in Push.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:46 pm

I'm sounding like a nativeKontrol fanboy as of late, but PXT-Live+ has that feature ready to go...
http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-Live_Plus.html

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:38 pm

InLight-Tone: That's totally understandable dude; Stray is one amazing fella. Also, good to know with regards to PXT-Live+, I've not jumped on + yet but might do soon. Do you know if it still requires Bomes Lite player? I have the full version of Bomes MIDI Translator so I'm curious if I can integrate it into that..

HOLY **** I just checked out the vids on PXT-Live+ It blows my tiny little mind that somebody can implement stuff that Producers/Musicians WANT and NEED in a 10th of the time it takes for Ableton to implement half an idea.

*shakes head in utter disbelief*

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

panten wrote:InLight-Tone: That's totally understandable dude; Stray is one amazing fella. Also, good to know with regards to PXT-Live+, I've not jumped on + yet but might do soon. Do you know if it still requires Bomes Lite player? I have the full version of Bomes MIDI Translator so I'm curious if I can integrate it into that..

HOLY **** I just checked out the vids on PXT-Live+ It blows my tiny little mind that somebody can implement stuff that Producers/Musicians WANT and NEED in a 10th of the time it takes for Ableton to implement half an idea.

*shakes head in utter disbelief*
Sometimes it seems like he is only limited by what Ableton chose to open up to the API (like Arrangement clips for step sequencing for instance).
PXT Live plus looks like it tries to work around these limitations with these midi translators.
Ableton wouldn't even need to do this, they have the source, they could open up whatever they choose. (that said, that opening up process is probably not as easy as it sounds)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 pm

panten wrote:Thanks for the workaround tom_d, that's the beauty of Live, you can think creatively round problems.

Ideally 16 levels of velocity would be something you could toggle on/off quickly at will. This way it wouldn't disrupt the workflow.
Not quite the same as 16 velocities at the same time for one sample, but also a good idea would be to let me choose the current velocity represented by Accent.
Maybe by hitting shift and then one of the, 8 buttons for beat repeat/grid size.
But anything that quickly lets me choose different velocity that Accent represents, would be fine.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:35 am

InLight-Tone wrote:I'm sounding like a nativeKontrol fanboy as of late, but PXT-Live+ has that feature ready to go...
http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-Live_Plus.html
PXT Live Plus is awesome. Not only do you get 16 levels mode you also get MPC style note repeat when you hold the repeat button in STC drum mode
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

panten

Post by panten » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:13 am

I just tried PXT-Live+ last night and oh man it is Momentous.

I only really delved into Drum Mode as I was a bit bamboozled by the other modes. I haven't read the docs much yet as I like to dive into Stray's scripts to see how intuitive things are.

It's just inspired though, with 16 levels (esp. w/Pitch), last played pad on the 4 corners with locking, and the 'On the Fly' Round Robin creation (blue) buttons at the top. Work of genius.

The only thing that bugs me about Ableton is that they don't seem to allow User mode to access the Velocity & Sensitivity curve settings from default Push. grr

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am

Good to hear that some of you are enjoying PXT-Live Plus.
panten wrote:The only thing that bugs me about Ableton is that they don't seem to allow User mode to access the Velocity & Sensitivity curve settings from default Push. grr
That's true but, as of PXT-Live v1.0.7, you can specify the velocity curve and pad threshold to use in UserPreferences.txt. They can be the same as the settings you’re using in Live Mode or different, whichever you prefer.

panten

Post by panten » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Ah, that's good to know Stray thanks. I find that I need to adjust the velocity curve all the time as the Velocity and Volume settings aren't consistent across all the instruments and VSTs I own.

It's great that you provided a way to set it though. I have mine on -10 and Log3 for the majority of the time.