[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.

AlexGodbehere

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by AlexGodbehere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:40 pm

tom_d wrote: Could you try the latest version? I think this should be fixed... or at least, the main scenarios work for me (using a device with a custom mapping, using a Live device without a custom mapping, creating a new mapping file).

Sure, I'll do a fresh install of Ableton (Suite, 32bit 9.1.1) and run the script. I'll let you know what happens.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:55 pm

AlexGodbehere wrote:
tom_d wrote: Could you try the latest version? I think this should be fixed... or at least, the main scenarios work for me (using a device with a custom mapping, using a Live device without a custom mapping, creating a new mapping file).

Sure, I'll do a fresh install of Ableton (Suite, 32bit 9.1.1) and run the script. I'll let you know what happens.
Shouldn't need a clean install (unless other stuff is broken) as the install script will clean up the old version. Of course, nothing wrong with a clean install if you'd prefer :)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 pm

tom_d wrote:
Shouldn't need a clean install (unless other stuff is broken) as the install script will clean up the old version. Of course, nothing wrong with a clean install if you'd prefer :)

Yeah, I did a clean install just to be on the safe side. Works as expected now for plugins with a small amount of parameters (Nexus). The main problem is the max number of parameters that are dumped. For synths like ANA, the list cuts off before reaching the Reverb settings, which is a shame. Is there any known way to choose the parameters to be dumped?

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:40 pm

AlexGodbehere wrote:
tom_d wrote:

Yeah, I did a clean install just to be on the safe side. Works as expected now for plugins with a small amount of parameters (Nexus). The main problem is the max number of parameters that are dumped. For synths like ANA, the list cuts off before reaching the Reverb settings, which is a shame. Is there any known way to choose the parameters to be dumped?
Turn Off auto populate
make en instrument rack with the vst inside
config wanted parameters manualy
Save the Instrument Rack
turn On autopopulate

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Regillio wrote:
AlexGodbehere wrote:
tom_d wrote:

Turn Off auto populate
Save the Instrument Rack
turn On autopopulate

Thanks. Whats the reason behind making an instrument rack as opposed to just dragging the vst onto a midi channel? Do I have to do anything special with the instrument rack?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Regillio wrote:
AlexGodbehere wrote: Yeah, I did a clean install just to be on the safe side. Works as expected now for plugins with a small amount of parameters (Nexus). The main problem is the max number of parameters that are dumped. For synths like ANA, the list cuts off before reaching the Reverb settings, which is a shame. Is there any known way to choose the parameters to be dumped?
Turn Off auto populate
Save the Instrument Rack
turn On autopopulate
Glad to hear it is working for you now. Unfortunately I can't promise I won't break things again in future :evil: but I'll try my best ;)

The max plugin parameters thing is indeed a real pain. Is this just a Live specific thing or do other hosts have similar limitations?

I think you could also do this without turning off Autopopulate in Options.txt - open the "configure" section for the device, click on the last mapping item then hold down delete/backspace to delete all mappings, the select the ones you actually want and save to Instrument Rack.

I should add, this will create hundreds of config files in the Ubermap Devices directory (as every time you change the list of parameters, it sees it as a new device). I intend on adding a config option to temporarily disable it while you do this, but for the time being you'll have to go in to the directory and delete the unused ones if it bothers you - as someone earlier in the thread pointed out, you should be able to identify them by sorting by date then only keeping the newest cfg for the plugin in question.

I'll have to get to work on somewhere for all these mappings you people are creating to be shared! Got a few other cool plans for this (and other features to do with Push) also, but I'm slightly thwarted by issues with decompiling the Python scripts at the minute - Devices.py is quite a simple one so doesn't need much patching up, but some of the others have more complex logic and the decompiler seems to screw random stuff up. I should be able to fix it (e.g. by comparing output of a few decompilers) but it's a pain in the arse, I wish Ableton would just release the sources!
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm

AlexGodbehere wrote:Thanks. Whats the reason behind making an instrument rack as opposed to just dragging the vst onto a midi channel? Do I have to do anything special with the instrument rack?
The instrument rack is the only way to save what parameters you have exposed in the "Configure" section, if you just drag in the plugin it will default to the auto populated ones. Slightly annoying, but you can just delete the Instrument Rack after you drag the plugin in (to avoid having to press "In" twice to access the parameters) so not the end of the world.

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:12 pm

tom_d wrote:
AlexGodbehere wrote:Thanks. Whats the reason behind making an instrument rack as opposed to just dragging the vst onto a midi channel? Do I have to do anything special with the instrument rack?
The instrument rack is the only way to save what parameters you have exposed in the "Configure" section, if you just drag in the plugin it will default to the auto populated ones. Slightly annoying, but you can just delete the Instrument Rack after you drag the plugin in (to avoid having to press "In" twice to access the parameters) so not the end of the world.
Ah, fair enough. I'm going to keep them as instrument racks so I can actually access them from the Push, which is nice. Thank you so much for devoting time to make something so fundamental as this work with push. Im still amazed at how Ableton could possibly leave it out in the first place! Once you've got the repo for mappings set up, I'll happily upload mine.

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm

By the way, can you explain more about the set up you have with the sends and Macrobat? What does it achieve that you can't do with the "Track" encoder mode? Just curious, always up for hearing about cool tweaks :)
As TomViolenz said, see this thread for info as the Macrobat sends trick was his idea! :) Basically I'm using it to get 8 send encoders on Push instead of 6 in Track mode.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=201992
Ah I see - I'm hoping the new version will have fixed this. I think what was happening was the parameters were being renamed even though the config was set to "Ignore = True", because the script wasn't actually looking at the ignore flag. The ClyphX script would still work because the Push script only affects what is output from Live to Push, not what Live sees internally.
Happy to say that the new version has indeed fixed this! Clyphx Macrobat rack names are now showing up again on my Push in all their glory.

This is all working beautifully on my setup now, so another massive thank you to tom_d.

AlexGodbehere

Post by AlexGodbehere » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

Just as I thought I had it working perfectly, the mappings seem to revert back to "Bank 1" etc about 10 minutes into using them. Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:52 am

AlexGodbehere wrote:Just as I thought I had it working perfectly, the mappings seem to revert back to "Bank 1" etc about 10 minutes into using them. Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening?
That's really weird! Is this for all plugins or just one? All I can think is some action you're taking in the plugin is causing the exposed parameters to change so it's seen as a new device. Not sure if a device could do that itself or not. Next time that happens could you send your ~/Ubermap/main.log file to me by PM as soon as it does and I'll take a look.

Curious to know if anyone else has seen this?

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:00 pm

it´s working for me now. i missinterpreted the 7th step where i should rename the existing .pyc files so that live recompiles the new script. but i changed the file extension from .py to .pyc by myself. i did this 5 times and so it was 5 times wrong ^^

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:26 pm

Evengy wrote:it´s working for me now. i missinterpreted the 7th step where i should rename the existing .pyc files so that live recompiles the new script. but i changed the file extension from .py to .pyc by myself. i did this 5 times and so it was 5 times wrong ^^
Ah cool! So it works on Win 8?

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

tom_d wrote:
Evengy wrote:it´s working for me now. i missinterpreted the 7th step where i should rename the existing .pyc files so that live recompiles the new script. but i changed the file extension from .py to .pyc by myself. i did this 5 times and so it was 5 times wrong ^^
Ah cool! So it works on Win 8?
yes!