[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
Airyck

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by Airyck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:37 pm

Since Ubermap takes over (destroys the community mappings) (they both hack the devices.py file in _Generic).

Has anybody made "Ubermap" mappings that match the Community Mapping effort?

I can re-create them but I'd have to go through some effort of re-installing the community mapping to determine the layouts. Is there some sort of documentation for the layouts of the community mappings somewhere?
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Airyck wrote:Since Ubermap takes over (destroys the community mappings) (they both hack the devices.py file in _Generic).

Has anybody made "Ubermap" mappings that match the Community Mapping effort?

I can re-create them but I'd have to go through some effort of re-installing the community mapping to determine the layouts. Is there some sort of documentation for the layouts of the community mappings somewhere?
I believe the community mappings were working initially with Ubermap so fingers crossed Tom will have them working again in the next update.

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:17 pm

They still work for me with 9.1.2, Ubermap and PXT installed. Am I missing something?
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 pm

moscom_musik wrote:They still work for me with 9.1.2, Ubermap and PXT installed. Am I missing something?
Hmmm something must have went wrong on my end, I'll check it out.

phyxia

My Thoughts on the Massive Situation

Post by phyxia » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

The best solution I could come up with was disabling custom names for Massive's best of bank and instead returning device parameters 1-8 in the Ableton GUI (In Ableton these are usually the macro knobs by default from what I have seen and the massive racks that others have posted). Instead of using the whole parameter list for hashing the .cfg file, using only parameters 10 and up prevents multiple .cfg files. Keep in mind this will fail if you reposition the Massive macro knobs to anywhere other than slots 1-8 in the Ableton Configure menu. It also should probably be a list of plug-ins rather than hardcoded and use an if x in statement.

UbermapDevices.py:

Code: Select all

def get_device_name(self, device):
        name = device.class_display_name
        if self.cfg.get('use_md5'):
            params = ''

'''
            Creates cfg without hash for Massive from params 10+
            only works if macros set to params 2-9 (default)
            '''   

if name == 'Massive':
            	for i in device.parameters[10:]:
                	params += i.original_name
            else:    	
            	for i in device.parameters[1:]:
                	params += i.original_name
            name += '_' + hashlib.md5(params).hexdigest()
        return name
Devices.py

def best_of_parameter_bank(device, device_bob_dict = DEVICE_BOB_DICT, ubermap_skip = False):
    """ Revised function by Stray that should work fine with any type of device. """
    device_name = device.class_display_name

""""Fix for Massive that only works if the first 8 parameters are the macro knobs, which is default"""
    if device_name == 'Massive':
    	return device.parameters[1:9]

if not ubermap_skip:
        ubermap_bank = ubermap.get_custom_device_params(device, ubermap.SECTION_BEST_OF)
        if ubermap_bank:
            return ubermap_bank[0]

if device.class_name in MAX_DEVICES:
        try:
            parameter_indices = device.get_bank_parameters(-1)
            return [ (device.parameters[i] if i != -1 else None) for i in parameter_indices ]
        except:
            return []
    elif device and device.class_name in device_bob_dict and device_bob_dict[device.class_name]:
        return map(partial(get_parameter_by_name, device), device_bob_dict[device.class_name][0])

return []
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... =drive_web

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Mon May 05, 2014 8:14 pm

Bringing the thread up :)

Any news on a possible update? Not that I am in the need of a specific functionality right now, but the new items seemed promising ;)

Cheers
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 am

moscom_musik wrote:Bringing the thread up :)

Any news on a possible update? Not that I am in the need of a specific functionality right now, but the new items seemed promising ;)

Cheers
+1 :)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu May 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Hey guys, just checking in to apologise for the lack of updates! I've had no time to even set up Live on my new laptop in the last few weeks but as soon as I get everything set up I will push some changes - afraid I can't promise anything date wise but I've not forgotten about Ubermap, life has just got in the way a bit ;)

Does the script still work with the latest update of Live does anyone know, out of interest?

Cheers,
Tom
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:55 pm

its working with the latest live 9.1.3b5 beta!

login

Post by login » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Does the new order of parameters is used also by other controllers?

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 pm

I finally installed Ubermap and unfortunately now Push would not recognize Ableton. Gave the "please start Live" screen even though Live was launched and going. Not sure what I may have done wrong. I just launched the Ubermap instal.command.

I am on a mac using Live 9.1.2 along with Stray's alternate Push remote script and PXT-Live.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions how I could trouble shoot this I would appreciate it.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:I finally installed Ubermap and unfortunately now Push would not recognize Ableton. Gave the "please start Live" screen even though Live was launched and going. Not sure what I may have done wrong. I just launched the Ubermap instal.command.

I am on a mac using Live 9.1.2 along with Stray's alternate Push remote script and PXT-Live.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions how I could trouble shoot this I would appreciate it.
Are you using Live 9 Standard or Live 9 Suite? The script is setup to locate and perform actions on Live 9 Suite and wont work with Live 9 Standard unless you modify the script to contain the correct names for Live 9 standard in place of suite.

Just one idea... If you have Suite then we'll try and work out what's going on. I have it working on both PC and Mac and have had it working with Suite and Standard as well.

I think if your Devices.py file did not get compiled then you'll get the "please start live to play" message because Ableton doesn't have settings available for the Push.

cyclicAMP

Post by cyclicAMP » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:48 am

Thanks so much for replying Airyck.

I do have Live Suite, so I am not sure whats going on. I am seeing both a Devices.py file and a Devices.pyc file in the _Generic folder.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:11 pm

cyclicAMP wrote:Thanks so much for replying Airyck.

I do have Live Suite, so I am not sure whats going on. I am seeing both a Devices.py file and a Devices.pyc file in the _Generic folder.
It's been quite a while since I went through the install so I'm not remembering what else could cause this...

Do you have a DeviceParameterComponent.pyc in your MIDI Remote Scripts \ Push folder?

Here are the manual install instructions for Windows, the Mac locations are different but the process is the same.
Maybe you can go through this list and see if everything is showing up.

Backup your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Create a new directory called Ubermap inside your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Copy all the files from the unzipped Common folder (where you unzipped Ubermap) into the Ubermap folder you crated in step 2
Copy UbermapDevices.py from the unzipped Devices folder into the Ubermap folder you created in step 2
Copy Devices.py from the unzipped Devices folder to the _Generic folder in your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Copy DeviceParameterComponent.py from the unzipped Devices folder to the Push folder in your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Delete or rename (for backup purposes) the following files to make Live read the new Python files:
*.pyc inside the Ubermap folder (will only exist if you are upgrading)
Devices.pyc inside the _Generic folder
DeviceParameterComponent.pyc inside the Push folder
Create a folder called Ubermap in your user folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap)
Create a folder called Devices inside this Ubermap folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap\Devices)
Copy all the files from the unzipped Config folder into the Ubermap folder you created in step 8
Create an Options.txt as described above (not sure where this should live on Windows)
(Re)start Live

logite

Post by logite » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:14 am

TOM_D:

Thanks you so much for this!

I have a request though, in loading saved mappings (I'm creating one with Synlenth) some unwanted parameters populate, so I'm resorting to usin a Instrument Rack to save the better parameters.

But here's what I'm hoping you'll be able to do- maybe you can have ubermap ungroup VSTs inside instrument racks that are loaded from Push? Doing that from Push makes it difficult to stay on the couch and keep making the tunes :) Automatic de-grouping would make this the best addition to Ableton and Push I could possibly imagine!