[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by tom_d » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:21 am

Evengy wrote:it doesn´t work for me on windows / live 9.1.1. sometimes live crashes while i start it and when it starts correctly the push isn´t recognized by live ;-/

@rev_engineer
what did you do? i´ve the instructions two times but everytime the same result.
one thing is, should i select ubermap in the midi preferences as a control surface? everytime i do this live crashes.
You definitely don't need to select Ubermap in control surfaces.

This sounds a bit like what happened on my work laptop when I tried it, but didn't have long to test. However I have it at home this weekend so I will try it out again. Out of interest, what version of Windows is everyone on? Mine was Win8, wondering if there could be an issue only on 8...
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:09 am

tom_d wrote:
Evengy wrote:it doesn´t work for me on windows / live 9.1.1. sometimes live crashes while i start it and when it starts correctly the push isn´t recognized by live ;-/

@rev_engineer
one thing is, should i select ubermap in the midi preferences as a control surface? everytime i do this live crashes.
You definitely don't need to select Ubermap in control surfaces.

This sounds a bit like what happened on my work laptop when I tried it, but didn't have long to test. However I have it at home this weekend so I will try it out again. Out of interest, what version of Windows is everyone on? Mine was Win8, wondering if there could be an issue only on 8...
win 8.1 x64 here!

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

I'm on Win 7 x64, so perhaps it is a Win 8 problem...
@rev_engineer
I literally just followed tom_d's manual install instructions... I didn't select Ubermap as a control surface, no. I just fired up Live after installing Ubermap and it worked. What happens if you don't select Ubermap as a control surface? Still no luck?

Apart from the issue with the community mappings being replaced I've encountered no problems.

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 am

Does Win 8 have a backward compatibility mode? I think Win 7 has an XP mode that you can set for specific programs. If there is a Win 7 mode that can be set within Win 8, perhaps you could set this for Live and see if that helps?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:46 am

AS rev_engineer - I'm on Windows 7 64 bit as well, only thing not working is community mapping, and certain VSTs like Zebra not using my configured mappings.

I also simply followed tom_d's instruction on github to the letter:

"Manual (Windows) Installation

To install the script manually (or on Windows - please note this has not been tested so use common sense and let me know of any errors!), do the following:

Backup your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Create a new directory called Ubermap inside your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Copy all the files from the unzipped Common folder (where you unzipped Ubermap) into the Ubermap folder you crated in step 2
Copy UbermapDevices.py from the unzipped Devices folder into the Ubermap folder you created in step 2
Copy Devices.py from the unzipped Devices folder to the _Generic folder in your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Copy DeviceParameterComponent.py from the unzipped Devices folder to the Push folder in your Live Remote MIDI Scripts folder
Delete or rename (for backup purposes) the following files to make Live read the new Python files:
*.pyc inside the Ubermap folder (will only exist if you are upgrading)
Devices.pyc inside the _Generic folder
DeviceParameterComponent.pyc inside the Push folder
Create a folder called Ubermap in your user folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap)
Create a folder called Devices inside this Ubermap folder (e.g. C:\Users\Tom\Ubermap\Devices)
Copy all the files from the unzipped Config folder into the Ubermap folder you created in step 8 This is important - at first I copied this into the Devices folder, as this was the last folder I made...way the brain works I suppose - it should not go in Devices, but one above,in Ubermap folder, maybe this is the problem for some
Create an Options.txt as described above (not sure where this should live on Windows)
(Re)start Live"

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 am

In case it helps I stuck my Options.txt in my Ableton preferences folder. Can't remember off the top of my head the exact file path, but I think it's in the Ableton folder in your Windows User account folder.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:55 am

\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live x.x.x\Preferences\ - windows 7 and 8 options.txt location

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:56 am

thats the one! :)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm

i followed the instructions on github. I also copied the options.txt to my preferences folder and the files from ubermap\config into C:\Users\[myUser]\Ubermap

i hope he can fix it :D maybe i try the win7 compatibility mode.

thanks and have a nice weekend

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Just hit on another slight issue, but it's probably quite particular to my setup.

I've been using ClyphX Macrobat to automate sends via my Push. This requires a rack called "nk track", with its macros named depending on what you want in the track to control ('send a', 'send b', 'vol', etc). Tweaking the macros then controls the named parameter.

Yesterday whatever I was calling the macros was showing up on my push as the dial name. Now it's back to 'Macro ', 'Macro 2', etc, although the functionality still works (ie, the dials still tweak the proper parameters, so ClyphX isn't broken!)

I'm assuming the name thing is because whatever was telling ClyphX Macrobat to send the names to Push is being overriden by the generated device .cfg file via Ubermap...

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 pm

I think I know now why Ubermap/Live won't use my Zebra2 mapping (for example) = any VST with more than 128 parameters will not be remembered once you reload the VST. I need to do more tests, but so far:

Satin and Zebralette both have less than 128 parameters, about 11 banks each, and both my mappings always load perfectly - after I've restarted Live, placed into a new track etc.

Zebra2 = much more than 128 params, never remembers even a basic mapping ever. At first I thought I had a syntax error somewhere, but this is not the case. Sadly, these are the only VSTs I own (I like to stick to just a handful of plugins to focus on), so I cannot with certainty say that all this is true.

On a side note, today I read on some thread here somewhere that if you set -_PluginAutoPopulateThreshold=128 to -1 instead of 128, it will autopopulate any VST with more than 128 parameters. It works.

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 pm

You have to change the title of this toppic

Works Perfect on a PC to :D :D
.Using it for a week now
I aslo use SublimeText for easy editing..

Win 7 x64 live 9.1

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Regillio wrote:You have to change the title of this toppic

Works Perfect on a PC to :D :D
.Using it for a week now
I aslo use SublimeText for easy editing..

Win 7 x64 live 9.1
I would be very grateful of you could check the following:

Have any racks lost their macro display names on push?
Does the Live native device community mapping still work (if you're using it)?
Does any VST with more than 128 parameters get remembered once you restart Live?
Do you still have a playhead for the two step sequencer modes?

I appreciate any response. If you don't give a fuck, that's fine too.

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

I would be very grateful of you could check the following:

1 Have any racks lost their macro display names on push?
2 Does the Live native device community mapping still work (if you're using it)?
3 Does any VST with more than 128 parameters get remembered once you restart Live?
4 Do you still have a playhead for the two step sequencer modes?

I appreciate any response. If you don't give a fuck, that's fine too.[/quote]

1 no
2 no but i think to do it manual is better
(makes it posible to change the parameter names into something more readable).
3 yes. Only if i don't change the parameter settings in the rack every time a parameter is added
a new file wil be created (no problem to just copy the Content from the preveous file into the new + make sure the new parameter is added to :D
4 yes Playheads still works fine.

Hope it helps a bit.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 am

thank you Regillio. All of your answers has made me raise my eyebrows a lot more than I used to, and a emitted a sigh, because of my own ineptitude.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.