[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
Orbit-50

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by Orbit-50 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm praying for the Massive fix. I really don't think it's gonna happen though. No fault of tom_d of course. Just no way to change Massive's preset loading behavior. Other than that, this script is perfect!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I had a discussion with tom_d in another thread where he mentionned that he was trying to implement a function that I was really interested into regarding DIVA: you would be able to associate strings of character to parameter values that were floats, making it possible to display "Square", "Triangle", etc when DIVA sends numbers instead.

It seemed to me that he had thought about a possible workaround for Massive too :)

Cheers
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:08 pm

That would be really cool!

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWs and plugins.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:22 pm

moscom_musik wrote:Just coming to the news. Any update on the script? the editor? :)

Cheers
Unfortunately not, not had any spare time the last couple of weeks to work on this but hopefully I will do in the coming weeks :)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:19 am

tom_d wrote:
Unfortunately not, not had any spare time the last couple of weeks to work on this but hopefully I will do in the coming weeks :)
Cool!

Cheers
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello-
I have been trying to enhance my PUSH experience and have found some really great feature enhancers such as PXT LIVE and PXT LIVE PLUS (AWESOME!), the community device instrument mappings and Mableton/audiomodder presets. I am very interested in Ubermap but I do have a couple questions to ask before I embark as from reading the forum posts it seems there are some risks involved.

1) How does the Ubermap work with the above mentioned (Mableton/audiomodder) preset browsing? From what I gather a separate rack was made for each preset. How does the Ubermapping of device parameters fit into that scenario? For example when I choose a preset for zebra2 (Mableton) via PUSH would it load the Ubermap device parameter settings for Zebra2 or the device mapping created by Mableton within the preset? This is a little confusing to me.

2) How does Ubermap affect the Community Device Mappings I downloaded?

3) The original Ubermap post was from February 10 in which stated the potential risks. It is now over a month later. Has it proven itself stable/reliable? What are the risks?

Ideally I am looking for way to set my preferred mapping for each device (using Ubermap?) including DIVA, Alchemy, Zebra and Soundtoys FX. Then using the preset browsing (Mableton/Audiomodder) on PUSH, load a preset. But instead of the stock parameters created by Mableton/audiomodder it would load my preferred user created PUSH parameter mapping each and every time. Because the way it seems now I would have to create MACROS in each and every preset (Mableton/Audiomodder) and save them individually. Is this possible with Ubermap?

Thanks,
-Prem

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:11 am

Orbit-50 wrote:I'm praying for the Massive fix. I really don't think it's gonna happen though. No fault of tom_d of course. Just no way to change Massive's preset loading behavior. Other than that, this script is perfect!

.-.
I took a look at the Massive issue last night, and weirdly my Massive (latest version as far as I can tell) doesn't change the mappings with every preset - in fact, on mine the Macro knobs are always just called "MACRO 1-8". Weird! I'd much rather the Macro knobs did update... I wonder if there is some setting I need to change.

Anyway, I think I've figured out a fix. I'll do a bit more testing and then release it as a beta version and you can try it out, should be within a week or so :)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 am

PremEye wrote:Hello-
I have been trying to enhance my PUSH experience and have found some really great feature enhancers such as PXT LIVE and PXT LIVE PLUS (AWESOME!), the community device instrument mappings and Mableton/audiomodder presets. I am very interested in Ubermap but I do have a couple questions to ask before I embark as from reading the forum posts it seems there are some risks involved.

1) How does the Ubermap work with the above mentioned (Mableton/audiomodder) preset browsing? From what I gather a separate rack was made for each preset. How does the Ubermapping of device parameters fit into that scenario? For example when I choose a preset for zebra2 (Mableton) via PUSH would it load the Ubermap device parameter settings for Zebra2 or the device mapping created by Mableton within the preset? This is a little confusing to me.

2) How does Ubermap affect the Community Device Mappings I downloaded?

3) The original Ubermap post was from February 10 in which stated the potential risks. It is now over a month later. Has it proven itself stable/reliable? What are the risks?

Ideally I am looking for way to set my preferred mapping for each device (using Ubermap?) including DIVA, Alchemy, Zebra and Soundtoys FX. Then using the preset browsing (Mableton/Audiomodder) on PUSH, load a preset. But instead of the stock parameters created by Mableton/audiomodder it would load my preferred user created PUSH parameter mapping each and every time. Because the way it seems now I would have to create MACROS in each and every preset (Mableton/Audiomodder) and save them individually. Is this possible with Ubermap?

Thanks,
-Prem
Hi Prem,

Author of Ubermap here. Here's my thoughts on your questions.

1. I've not used the preset packs, but I think there should be no interference. The preset packs provide presets + macro knob assignments for each preset for a racked plugin, if I understand correctly, while Ubermap provides remapping of the controls when you actually go into the device itself, rather than the rack... so they should compliment each other quite nicely!

2. Ubermap includes the latest (I think?) community mappings, so you won't lose these. I'm planning to make it so users can export the community mappings and modify them themselves with Ubermap but this isn't implemented yet.

3. I was sort of trying to scare people off who weren't comfortable with installing remote scripts, using the command line, etc. as I didn't want to feel guilty because someone accidentally deleted their entire hard drive when trying to install it ;) There aren't really any additional risks compared to any other hack like this - on the Mac, there's an install script which automatically installs it, on Windows you need to follow instructions but as long as you use some common sense it should be fine.

The only real danger is that a bug or mistake in your installation will mess up your Ableton installation, in which case you'll need to reinstall Ableton. Lots of people on here have successfully installed, so I think it's fair to say it seems to work okay, but obviously I have to add the disclaimer that I can't be held responsible for any issues you might have and you should always have a good, working backup of your files before using anything like this. That said, happy to try and help if you get stuck setting it up :)

Regarding what you want to do with the macro knobs... I'm not sure this is possible, without using the preset banks. What you can do is remap the device so when you go "in to" the rack to highlight the device, both the "best of" bank that you initially see and the full parameter banks when you go "in" on more level contain what you want... but not sure about the outer Instrument Rack off the top of my head. Is there a free demo of the preset banks so I can take a look?

Thanks,
Tom

PremEye

Post by PremEye » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:26 pm

tom_d wrote:Regarding what you want to do with the macro knobs... I'm not sure this is possible, without using the preset banks. What you can do is remap the device so when you go "in to" the rack to highlight the device, both the "best of" bank that you initially see and the full parameter banks when you go "in" on more level contain what you want... but not sure about the outer Instrument Rack off the top of my head. Is there a free demo of the preset banks so I can take a look?

Hello Tom-
Thank you very much for your detailed reply.
I look forward to seeing your Ubermap expand as you implement your ideas.
I think I will give it a try as you cleared up many of the questions/concerns I had.

To try out the presets here is a link to download the free Zebralette presets (you can download Zebralette Free also):
http://craftedsound.com/product/u-he-zebralette/

Thanks,
-Prem

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Great, I'll take a look!

Cheers,
Tom

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi, thanks for this Tom, its excellent. I got it working last night on Windows 7 64bit last night and it seems to be working fine.

Just a quick question, I tried this with Ohmboyz which I had racked in an FX rack. A .cfg was generated but it was just called "Audio Effect Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab" however when i selected ohmboys unracked it created a .cfg with ohmboyz in the title. Is that how its supposed to work? I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference but it probably will be difficult for me to find what .cfg file relates to which rack for editing.

Not that it matters too much, I'm not complaining :D :D

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:51 am

fistikuffs wrote:Hi, thanks for this Tom, its excellent. I got it working last night on Windows 7 64bit last night and it seems to be working fine.

Just a quick question, I tried this with Ohmboyz which I had racked in an FX rack. A .cfg was generated but it was just called "Audio Effect Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab" however when i selected ohmboys unracked it created a .cfg with ohmboyz in the title. Is that how its supposed to work? I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference but it probably will be difficult for me to find what .cfg file relates to which rack for editing.

Ok, I figured it out. If you open the plug you want to map and edit the generated .cfg file Live will use the same .cfg for the plugin whether it's racked or not. Very cool!

One thing I've noticed is that you can't configure a bank to have 2 blank spaces in a row but in fairness that's not required in 99% of configs anyway.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:32 pm

fistikuffs wrote:
fistikuffs wrote:Hi, thanks for this Tom, its excellent. I got it working last night on Windows 7 64bit last night and it seems to be working fine.

Ok, I figured it out. If you open the plug you want to map and edit the generated .cfg file Live will use the same .cfg for the plugin whether it's racked or not. Very cool!

One thing I've noticed is that you can't configure a bank to have 2 blank spaces in a row but in fairness that's not required in 99% of configs anyway.
You can have as many blank spaces as you want. Just make sure you don't use the same parameter number in the same bank more than once. So if you want two blank spaces do something like this example:

Code: Select all

[[Vibrato]]
Vibrato: Amount = Amount
"Parameter #5" = "Parameter #5"
Vibrato: Rate = Rate
"Parameter #7" = "Parameter #7"
Vibrato: Delay = Delay
"Parameter #9" = "Parameter #9"
Vibrato: Fade = Fade
"Parameter #11" = "Parameter #11"
If you wanted two spaces in a row you could change it to this:

[[Vibrato]]

the "Parameter #5" = "Parameter #5" should increment so don't use it again for another space, for the second space use "Parameter #6" = "Parameter #6", then #7, #8, and so on. That will allow you put as many blank spaces as you want wherever you want.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

fistikuffs

Post by fistikuffs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Airyck wrote:
fistikuffs wrote:

You can have as many blank spaces as you want. Just make sure you don't use the same parameter number in the same bank more than once. So if you want two blank spaces do something like this example:

[[Vibrato]]
If you wanted two spaces in a row you could change it to this:

[[Vibrato]]

the "Parameter #5" = "Parameter #5" should increment so don't use it again for another space, for the second space use "Parameter #6" = "Parameter #6", then #7, #8, and so on. That will allow you put as many blank spaces as you want wherever you want.
Ah thanks! That makes sense. I was using "" - "" for each blank space so that was obviously being detected as the same parameter each time hence the problem. Thanks for explaining that.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:34 pm

No problem :) I figured it out the hard way :oops: and yep that would do it. Keep in mind you can use the same names on different "pages" but not on the same page.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /