[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
tedlogan

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by tedlogan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:09 am

And here is a very early late-night-just-before-going-to-sleep prototype for Zebra 2. Because Zebra is extremely modular, I just experimented with a one-of-each module mapping[ 1 x (Osc1; Noise1; XMF1; Comb1; Dist1; FMO1; Env1)etc]. Many random important parameters cannot be mapped, like the Comb filter's different types (!!!), The Oscillators' Phase/Sync toggles, most LFO controls, no arp controls apart from the Arp Mod1's values etc. I've ordered the banks alphabetically, with the parameters in each arranged as the user interface is layed out. sort of. Banks are alphabetical because I found it confusing to scroll through more than 16 banks looking for the module I wanna tweak - this eliminates that problem.

Most Zebra params can be modulated by something else, so I added any of these when I could, but it won't work unless you've already assigned a modulator.

The workflow for this is basically going through my own patches, eyeing the centre module screen to see what is available to tweak, and then heading towards the appropriate banks. Some modules were completely left out, like the effects, global controls, Shaper, MSEGs etc, and some banks things have not been named appropriately.

Basically, this is a clusterfuck, but the only way to improve is to start somewhere and build your way out of the mess. Check the last post on the previous page for a proper mapping of u-he Satin. I do enjoy this sort of thing though. Here is the bloody code:

Code: Select all

[Banks]

[[global]]

120_Mode = Voice Mode

[[Comb 1_A]]

63_Inj = Input
64_InjDpt = InputMod
65_Exc = PreFill
66_Tune = Tune
67_TMDpt = TuneMod
68_Detn = Detune
69_VtoD = Vibrato
70_Damp = Damp

[[Comb1_B]]

71_DmpDpt = DampModAmt
72_FB = Feedback
73_FBDpt = FbackModAmt
74_Tne = Tone
75_TneDpt = ToneModAmt
76_Sec = Flavour
77_SecDpt = FlavourModAmt
78_Dist = Distort

[[Comb1_C]]

79_KeyScl = KeyScale
80_Dry = Dry
81_Vol = Volume
82_VolSc = VolMod
83_VolDt = VolModAmt
84_Pan = Pan
85_PanSc = PanMod
86_PanDt = PanModAmt

[[Comb1_D]]

87_PolW = Width

[[Dist 1]]

99_Input = Input
100_Output = Output
101_Type = Type
102_PreTilt = PreTilt
103_PstTilt = PostTilt
104_CntFreq = CntFreq
105_Low = Low
106_High = High

[[Dist 1_B]]

107_PostFlt = PostFilt

[[FMO 1]]

48_FM = FM
49_FMSrc = FMmod
50_FMDpt = FMmodAmt
51_Tune = Tune
52_TMSrc = TuneMod
53_TMDpt = TuneModAmt
54_Dtun = Detune
55_VtoD = Vibrato

[[Env 1]]

110_init = PreAttck
108_Atk = Attack
109_Dec = Decay
111_Sus = Sustain
112_SusT = F/R
113_Sus2 = SusModAmt
114_Rel = Release
115_Vel = Velocity

[[FMO 1 PanVol]]

56_Pan = Pan
57_PanSc = PanMod
58_PanDt = PanModAmt
59_Vol = Volume
60_VolSc = VolMod
61_VolDt = VolModAmt
62_PolW = Width

[[LFO 1]]

116_Sync = SyncRate
117_Dly = Delay

[[LFO Glob]]

118_Sync = SyncRate
119_Phse = Phase

[[Noise 1_A]]

28_Pan = Pan
29_PanSc = PamMod
30_PanDt = PanModAmt
40_PolW = PolW
37_Vol = Volume
38_VolSc = VolMod
39_VolDt = VolModAmt

[[Noise1_B]]

31_F1 = Filter1
32_F1Src = Flt1Mod
33_F1Dpt = Flt1ModAmt
34_F2 = Filter2
35_F2Src = Flt2Mod
36_F2Dpt = Flt2ModAmt

[[Osc 1]]

1_WNum = Wave
2_WPSrc = WavMod
3_WPDpt = WaveModAmt
4_Tune = Tune
5_TMSrc = TuneMod
6_TMDpt = TuneModAmt
7_Dtun = Detune
8_VtoD = Vibrato

[[OscPhase]]

9_Phse = Phase
10_PhsMSrc = PhaseMod
11_PhsMDpt = PhaseModAmt
12_Sync = Sync
13_SncSc = SyncMod
14_SncDt = SyncModAmt

[[OscFX]]

15_SFX1 = SFX1
16_FX1Sc = SFX1Mod
17_FX1Dt = SFX1ModAmt
18_SFX2 = SFX2
19_FX2Sc = SFX2Mod
20_FX2Dt = SFX2ModAmt

[[OscMixer]]

21_Pan = Pan
22_PanSc = PanMod
23_PanDt = PanModAmt
24_Vol = Volume
25_VolSc = VolMod
26_VolDt = VolModAmt
27_PolW = Width

[[VCF 1]]

41_Typ = Type
42_Cut = Cutoff
43_Res = Reso
44_FM1 = FM1
45_FM2 = FM2
46_KeyScl = KeyScale
47_Drv = Drive

[[XMF 1_A]]

88_Typ = Type
89_Cut = Cutoff
90_Res = Reso
91_FM1 = CutModAmt
92_KeyScl = KeyFollow
93_OLoad = OverLoad
94_FOff = Offset
95_FOMod = OffsetModamt

[[XMF1_B]]

96_XFM = FilterFM
97_XFMD = FLmModAmt
98_Click = Click

[[Arp Mod]]

121_AMDpt1 = AMDpt1
122_AMDpt2 = AMDpt2
123_AMDpt3 = AMDpt3
124_AMDpt4 = AMDpt4
125_AMDpt5 = AMDpt5
126_AMDpt6 = AMDpt6
127_AMDpt7 = AMDpt7
128_AMDpt8 = AMDpt8

[BestOfBank]
[[Bank]]
1_WNum = WNum
2_WPSrc = WPSrc
3_WPDpt = WPDpt
4_Tune = Tune
5_TMSrc = TMSrc
6_TMDpt = TMDpt
7_Dtun = Dtun
8_VtoD = VtoD
[Config]
Cache = False
Ignore = False
I'm off to bed.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 am

tedlogan wrote:EDIT 3 - Does anyone know why Zebra 2 does not auto populate the parameters? Satin, for example does (can't wait to set this guy up - it seems all its parameters are available for Push tweaking, even the three different modes :)
I find this a little frustrating too, but I think I read somewhere that any plugin with more than 128 parameters will not auto-populate. My workaround for Diva was to set the osc/filter/env modules up by type and then group them in a rack and save them as the synth they were inspired by (e.g. Minimoog, Jupiter-8, etc) and I'm enjoying every bit of it!

Jeffromusic

Post by Jeffromusic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 am

I have no idea how to install this. The instructions aren't very clear. How do you change folders and execute install.sh inside Terminal?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 am

blakjesus wrote: I find this a little frustrating too, but I think I read somewhere that any plugin with more than 128 parameters will not auto-populate. My workaround for Diva was to set the osc/filter/env modules up by type and then group them in a rack and save them as the synth they were inspired by (e.g. Minimoog, Jupiter-8, etc) and I'm enjoying every bit of it!
Try setting PluginAutoPopulateThreshold in your Options.txt to -1, apparently that will auto populate even if there are more than 128. Let me know if this works and I'll update the instructions.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:50 am

tedlogan wrote:Also, when editing whichever text file you're editing, I cannot, as tom_d suggested, recommend Sublime Text enough for this task. The shortcut Ctrl+Shift+up/down makes life a LOT easier. Moves the selected line up or down the text - you're gonna be swapping a ton of parameters around.
Ha, I didn't even know that shortcut! (I use it in vi-emulation mode where you type "dd" to cut a line and "p" to paste it, so similarly quick).
Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is a mapping for u-he's Satin.
Awesome, I use Satin on more or less everything I do so I will try this one out. Will be curious to see how well sharing templates actually works!

As I said, I'm planning on making an editor and with this some kind of way of easily sharing configurations. I guess for now I could set up a public Dropbox or something where people can upload them - anyone know a decent service for this?
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:51 am

Jeffromusic wrote:I have no idea how to install this. The instructions aren't very clear. How do you change folders and execute install.sh inside Terminal?
Hey yeah, sorry about that - the instructions were deliberately left unclear at first so people would have to think about it a bit before installing, as no one else had tried the script. As it sounds like it hasn't blown up anyone's computer/Push yet, I'll update with clearer instructions :)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:03 am

tom_d wrote:
Jeffromusic wrote:I have no idea how to install this. The instructions aren't very clear. How do you change folders and execute install.sh inside Terminal?
Hey yeah, sorry about that - the instructions were deliberately left unclear at first so people would have to think about it a bit before installing, as no one else had tried the script. As it sounds like it hasn't blown up anyone's computer/Push yet, I'll update with clearer instructions :)
Instructions and script updated to allow installation from Finder, please do make sure you understand what the script is doing and you have a backup of everything on your computer before running it as I'd hate for anyone to encounter any issues.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:30 am

blakjesus wrote: I find this a little frustrating too, but I think I read somewhere that any plugin with more than 128 parameters will not auto-populate. My workaround for Diva was to set the osc/filter/env modules up by type and then group them in a rack and save them as the synth they were inspired by (e.g. Minimoog, Jupiter-8, etc) and I'm enjoying every bit of it!
can you give me your diva racks and your configuration file for ubermap? that is exactly what i need.

and thanks to tom_d who created the missing part for my future setup.

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Got this working on my PC (Lenovo W530, Win7 64, Live 9.1.1 64bit) as per tom_d's instructions, and mapping the shit out of my Max for Live devices. I'm only 20 mins in but no glitches yet, just lots of wonder at what can be done!

One question, though - I replaced the default Sampler mappings in Ubermap devices.py with those from the most up to date community mappings, but they're not showing up - they remain as per the original Ubermap devices.py. Any idea why?

Anyway, tom_d - massive respect, Sir. This is amazing. You've just saved me hours of Max patching.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Yeah, running into some problems tonight. The community mappings keep getting overwritten as soon as I load a Live device - all the banks are unnamed again - Bank1, bank2 etc, and all the parameter names are back to default and scrambled all over the place.

Secondly, my Zebra2 prototype mapping above does not show up at all anymore, which is so odd. I didn't change anything, it's set to ignore = false. It just starts to create new .cfg files as soon as I tweak anything. It worked perfectly last night...

My Satin mapping still works solidly.

Strange. Any ideas?

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Actually yeah, I think that's the case for me as well - all the native Live devices are defaulting to unnamed banks & non-community mappings. I'd previously only really checked Sampler.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I'll take a look at these issues tomorrow - it might be that the change I made to support parameters with the same name has screwed something up, as I only tested it for a couple of minutes before pushing it! I'll check it out and report back, that would make sense as they used to work! If it's a problem in the meantime you can restore your old MIDI remote scripts to remove Ubermap for now but hopefully will have it fixed tomorrow :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks tom. I'll still keep it installed, it's still enjoyable experimenting with Ubermap - it's only in an alpha state after all.

I'm still confused as to why the Zebra2 mappings don't work anymore. Just weird because I changed absolutely nothing since last night and tonight when I turned on my PC and loaded Live. Not that it's a great loss or anything.

I must say that Zebralette (gonna screw around with mappings now - they all autopopulate in about 11 banks) is a lot more suited to Push tweaking than Zebra 2. Zebra is just too complex and much more suited to a mouse and keyboard, especially the central module pane in the synthesis window, which enables you to move modules in any configuration - won't work on something like Push. Also the MSEG envelopes are very impractical to operate with Push. I do hope that someone proves me wrong though :)

rev_engineer

Post by rev_engineer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Cheers Tom. I'm gonna keep it installed too, won't get a chance to fiddle again til Saturday anyway, plus I'm almost done mapping my 19-bank M4L subtractive drone synth monster! Ubermap's gonna make playing it a joy!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 am

it doesn´t work for me on windows / live 9.1.1. sometimes live crashes while i start it and when it starts correctly the push isn´t recognized by live ;-/

@rev_engineer
what did you do? i´ve the instructions two times but everytime the same result.
one thing is, should i select ubermap in the midi preferences as a control surface? everytime i do this live crashes.