[Old, see new thread] Ubermap: Push VST param remapping

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

Re: Ubermap (Alpha, Mac-only): Simple Push parameter remapping

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 am

blakjesus wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Just for your information: There was a similar problem with one of the Live devices (I think it was Operator and Shaper Amount and Shaper On with both being named Shaper)), where 2 different parameters had the same name for the API. In the end we could not solve this, and had to accept to only use one of them.
That sucks... :( I guess ill have to stick with only editing the filter envelope from push. I have faith that someday a workaround will be made available.
I think I've solved this - I've pushed a new version of Ubermap to Github, so you can download and reinstall it (you can just run the install script again, you don't need to remove the previous version).

What I've done is made it so that it adds the index (i.e. position) of each parameter in Live to the mapping file, so e.g. for Diva, there are two parameters called "Attack", but one is the 34th automatable parameter and one is the 45th... so now, in the exported mapping, you'll get "34_Attack" and "45_Attack", so they are uniquely identifiable. You will have to do some trial and error to work out which is which, but it seems to be working for me (have only tried for 5 mins though so apologies if it doesn't!).

Existing config files (without the index prefix) should still be backwards-compatible, but if you want to recreate the mapping for a device with the new format, just delete the existing mapping file and reselect the device, and it'll export a new one.

Let me know how you get on!
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 am

i see that the live did not compile the DeviceParameterComponent.py
going to check that.

Fist of all i have to say THANKS!!!! guy's for this amazing job doing this code, hope to see what more is possible.
Seems like LIVE's limit of only 128 device parameters is realy gonna be a problem
With this setup you could easely Program 1000+ parameters.

First i copied the files manualy to the MIDI Remote Scripts folders
this could also be done by an bat file(PC) same as install.sh(MAC)

i've made an new folder called Ubermap in the root of my c drive and made
the sub dir Devices "dont know if the step was realy neccecary".
Made sure that everyone has all rights to the folder Ubermap,
and made this change to the code in UbermapLibs.py
MAPPING_DIRECTORY = os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("c:\\") + 'Ubermap').

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 am

Regillio wrote:i see that the live did not compile the DeviceParameterComponent.py
going to check that.

Fist of all i have to say THANKS!!!! guy's for this amazing job doing this code, hope to see what more is possible.
Seems like LIVE's limit of only 128 device parameters is realy gonna be a problem

Cool! I thought that would be all that was required. Just had problems getting Live to start on my work (PC) laptop with Push connected so wasn't sure if there were more bugs in the script or just the usual bugs with the laptop ;)

I'll create a .bat installer and make the Python cross-platform compatible and hopefully more users can start using this then, seems like no one has had any major issues so far.

Glad to see people are finding it useful, I think it makes such a difference when e.g. programming a synth, it gets you an interface basically as good as a lot of modern rack/compact synths with various pages of controls. I'm planning on making an editor to make the process a bit easier for people who don't like text files, of course my end goal is for this project to become obselete when Ableton add decent mapping functionality to Live!

And yep, agreed about the 128 parameters. Hope they remove that soon.
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:59 am

tom_d wrote:
Regillio wrote:i see that the live did not compile the DeviceParameterComponent.py
going to check that.

Cool! I thought that would be all that was required. Just had problems getting Live to start on my work (PC) laptop with Push connected so wasn't sure if there were more bugs in the script or just the usual bugs with the laptop ;)

I'll create a .bat installer and make the Python cross-platform compatible and hopefully more users can start using this then, seems like no one has had any major issues so far.

Glad to see people are finding it useful, I think it makes such a difference when e.g. programming a synth, it gets you an interface basically as good as a lot of modern rack/compact synths with various pages of controls. I'm planning on making an editor to make the process a bit easier for people who don't like text files, of course my end goal is for this project to become obselete when Ableton add decent mapping functionality to Live!

And yep, agreed about the 128 parameters. Hope they remove that soon.
do you have any idee why live did not compile ?
What about sub menus to avoid ending up skipping true 25 pages would realy be nice :D :D

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Oke got the DeviceParameterComponent compiled still no custom names.
live 9.02

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Regillio wrote:Oke got the DeviceParameterComponent compiled still no custom names.
live 9.02
Why as a Push user would you stay on Live 9.02?!

Live 9.1 introduced Parameter Step sequencing and more!

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Regillio wrote: do you have any idee why live did not compile ?
What about sub menus to avoid ending up skipping true 25 pages would realy be nice :D :D
About why my Live didn't work you mean? No idea. I hate my work laptop and regularly say bad things about it so that might have something to do with it ;)

Sub menus is a nice idea. Quite a bit more complex to implement though, I'm kind of hopeful Ableton will solve some of these issues for us ;)

I'd definitely try on Live 9.1, that's what I've been using so I guess it's possible there's some difference between the two causing no custom names.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm

TomViolenz wrote: Something tells me you shouldn't hold your breath :wink:
That sounds like a challenge to me... I find challenges hard to resist ;)

Regillio

Post by Regillio » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Yesss Upgraded Works as an Mother... :D :D..

I wonder how do you debug your code?
Do yo have to restart live every time you want to test the code?

i'am no coder but finding this toppic verry interresting.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:40 pm

tom_d wrote: I think I've solved this - I've pushed a new version of Ubermap to Github, so you can download and reinstall it (you can just run the install script again, you don't need to remove the previous version).

What I've done is made it so that it adds the index (i.e. position) of each parameter in Live to the mapping file, so e.g. for Diva, there are two parameters called "Attack", but one is the 34th automatable parameter and one is the 45th... so now, in the exported mapping, you'll get "34_Attack" and "45_Attack", so they are uniquely identifiable. You will have to do some trial and error to work out which is which, but it seems to be working for me (have only tried for 5 mins though so apologies if it doesn't!).

Existing config files (without the index prefix) should still be backwards-compatible, but if you want to recreate the mapping for a device with the new format, just delete the existing mapping file and reselect the device, and it'll export a new one.

Let me know how you get on!
Dude, you're amazing! This is blowing me away! It's like my Push has these vintage (virtual)analog synths inside of it now. I think I'm going to try creating mappings for my most used effects too, like Fabfilter Saturn. 8)

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

EDIT working again, please reinstall if you installed in the last half hour or so

Alright, based on the feedback that the script works on Windows, I've modified the one file that seemed to cause problems and have updated the instructions with manual installation instructions for Windows (as I don't have time to create a script at the minute - if anyone cares to convert install.sh to a .bat file then please go ahead!)

I've not tested this at all so use common sense and don't blame me if you break anything :evil:

Good luck and let me know how you get on!

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:01 pm

Tom - thanks for this! I've only very briefly tested with Zebra 2, and so far so good. It will take time to rename and map everything to what I want, in the order I want, but just the ability to finally do so is amazing!

I'm on Windows 7, live 9.1.1 32 bit.

Now all we need is for them to remove the 128 parameter limit (no limit on their own devices btw), which is very sad in Zebra's case, as there are over a 1000 parameters in that beast.

Thanks again

EDIT - forgot to mention - not having to reload Live whilst making changes will be such a massive time-saver and convenience - fantastic.

I'm gonna turn auto update off in Live - I don't want them to flush this out with a next update.

EDIT 3 - Does anyone know why Zebra 2 does not auto populate the parameters? Satin, for example does (can't wait to set this guy up - it seems all its parameters are available for Push tweaking, even the three different modes :)

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Also, when editing whichever text file you're editing, I cannot, as tom_d suggested, recommend Sublime Text enough for this task. The shortcut Ctrl+Shift+up/down makes life a LOT easier. Moves the selected line up or down the text - you're gonna be swapping a ton of parameters around.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, here is a mapping for u-he's Satin. Best of bank controls the main In/out controls and other master settings, then it dives into seperate banks for the three modes (STUDIO/DELAY/FLANGE), and the Service panel. Last few extra banks for different Delay mode configurations. My .cfg file name is Satin_2a741175e94ef1e41c3a7f6a756874a5.cfg, in C:\User\[name]\Ubermap\Devices

Code: Select all

[Banks]

[[STUDIO]]

4_ingain = INPUT
5_ogain = OUTPUT
6_speed = Speed Ips
8_pemph = Pre-Emph
56_bptape = BypassTape
55_cm_mix = Comp Mix
52_cm_pre = Encoder
53_cm_post = Decoder
54_cm_on = cm_on