Ableton Live Melodic Step Sequencing

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
mercury007

Ableton Live Melodic Step Sequencing

Post by mercury007 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:21 pm

Is there a M4L device or something else that offers a variation on the Melodic Step Sequencing from the one provided in Ableton Live 9.1?

I would like for it to work exactly like the drum rack sequencing but instead of drum pads in the left lower quadrant, it would be a 4x4 representation of the normal note page (meaning the white and blue notes) with the ability to change the scales just as you would on the normal note page. For note sequencing it may be helpful sometimes to visualize things this way instead of in the way the current step sequencing is set up. It's not a critical thing but I've looked for M4L devices and not found one and figured I'd ask in case someone knows about one.

panten

Re: Ableton Live Melodic Step Sequencing

Post by panten » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:53 pm

You might want to check PXT-Live MIDI remote scripts. I know it's not M4L and it's not free but it's money well spent. David should make a sticky thread on Push essentials.
Last edited by panten on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mercury007

Post by mercury007 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm

will do, thx!

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 am

pxt is amazing but numerology 4 is now able to be controlled by push which is king of step sequencers

here is a tip for pxt
put a pitch plugin and scale plugin together and you can transpose your midi clips in key
essentially this becomes a type phrase sequencer

this feature will be available in with numerology soon
however you can do it now by using a launchpad for numerology and having the same pitch/scale set up but you use an empty midi clip for pxt to transpose
create pattern with lauchpad transpose with pxt simultaneously
absolutely insane what can be done with step sequencing now

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
ambientidm wrote:pxt is amazing but numerology 4 is now able to be controlled by push which is king of step sequencers

here is a tip for pxt
put a pitch plugin and scale plugin together and you can transpose your midi clips in key
essentially this becomes a type phrase sequencer

this feature will be available in with numerology soon
however you can do it now by using a launchpad for numerology and having the same pitch/scale set up but you use an empty midi clip for pxt to transpose
create pattern with lauchpad transpose with pxt simultaneously
absolutely insane what can be done with step sequencing now
This sounds immensely interesting, could you go into it a little more?! What kind of stuff could I do, if I owned Numerology and how well would it intigrate with Push. Would Push control Numerology? As if Numerology is another Push modus?!
I too am interested in this.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

God that thing looks complicated, and that's no bad thing, but I wouldn't even know where to start fitting it into my workflow.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 am

numerology 4 can either work on the launchpad or can be controlled directly from push under the user tab
i prefer to use the user tab for pxt and the lauchpad for numerology

numerology is simple to use but it can get quite complex if you desire
i can't believe more people dont rave about it

you can easily drop steps out so your 8 note pattern becomes a 7 note pattern even if the note dropped is in the middle of the sequence or you can force the pattern length to conform to a set pattern regardlles of how manny notes are dropped
for example a four note pattern of CEGB could become CGB or if it is forced to stay a four note pattern it would be CCGB

you can also have sequencers modifying other sequencers so CEGB in 8th notes could be transposed up one whole step in quarter note with the resulting pattern being DF#GB
if this is constrained by lives scale plugin it would be DFGB
using empty clips pxt can simultaneously transpose the sequence in any way you want which means you can play the sequence like a keyboard!
never crashed on me and i use it in live performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzkYa_GVKw
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... chpad&sm=1

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:10 am

in numerology preferences you decide what control surface you want either push or launchpad
launchpad is awesome but new features for push will be added in the future

another trick
create a rack with pitch, note length, chord and scale
your macros are pitch transpose, note length, chord transpose 1 and 2 and volume for each and then scale transpose
you then have total control over the midi data coming from the mononote module from numerology plus you can add 2 part harmony if you want

panten

Post by panten » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:00 am

cool, thanks for the info. It does indeed look very powerful.

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 am

you can control 8 instances of n4 on push with each instance being composed on several modules if you want
yes skip steps, sequence length and rate plus tons of other things are all controlled by the grid in push or launchpad
use vst version and set both inputs of desired plugin to receive midi from desired n4 instance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knBKg_BfuLs

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:00 am

TomViolenz wrote:Well I had looked at Numerology a while ago, and it has a shitload of functionality. So if it intigrates well with Push, I'm def. interested. If it means dicking about with the mouse in a GUI, much less so!
once i set up my live set with n4 i do not need to use the mouse at all