No control over MIDI Volume with PUSH

Discuss Push with other users.
Analog4Science

No control over MIDI Volume with PUSH

Post by Analog4Science » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:12 am

I am not able to control the volume of my Moog with PUSH, works fine from my Keylab 61. any ideas?

Willyum

Re: No control over MIDI Volume with PUSH

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 am

Check to make sure your 'accent' button is not on... that puts Push into a fixed level mode...

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I am new and i am sure i just don't know how to do it.
not only can i not control the volume of midi instrument with push but from live there is not a control either.

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:15 pm

After doing some research i found put that it is not possible to control the volume for midi tracks from push using the volume control. insane.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm

I misunderstood, I thought you was talking about the pads not being velocity sensitive.

Live has the midi velocity tools separate from the clips. In a regular audio clip there is a volume knob built right in, but with Midi clips you use 'Midi Effects' in the browser on the left. There are all kinds of midi tools over there. The device you are looking for is called ...... drum roll..... 'Velocity' lol. It's actually very awesome and gives you way more control than just Velocity. They have velocity compressors, fixed velocities and a bunch of other stuff. you just drop it in your track before it goes out to your external gear and you're set. Whoever told you you can't do that in Live, clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I should also mention, if your concern about velocity from the actual Push device itself.... hold down the 'user' button for 2 seconds and you will see the setup for 'pad threshhold' (sensitivity) and 'Velocity Curve' so you can setup Push to be as sensitive as you would like to play it.

There are 40 sensitivity levels, yes 40! you can dial it in so sensitive that you can actually blow on the pads and they will play. And the velocity curve has 6 levels (that determins how much pressure range you want before max velocity is reached. So you set your lightest touch first... for me, I set it where the weight of my fingers just lightly resting on the pads do not trigger them. Then I made a midi clip and pressed what I felt was the hardest I wanted to press on the pads while playing and dialed in the curve til it matched 127 to my hardest presses.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm

If you are lucky enough to have Max for Live you can use Robert Henke's controlchange8 to map 8 controls to your hardware synth.
This will make it so that 8 macro controls show up on Push which you can name and they send MIDI CC of your choice.

Info:
http://www.monolake.de/technology/m4l.html

Download:
http://www.roberthenke.com/files_softwa ... hange8.zip

Othewise if you have Reaktor you may be able to come up with something similar, I haven't look into this enough but here is a good starting point for it.

http://www.reaktortips.com/2010/03/send ... ssage.html

I'm sure there is a complete solution out there too but I'm not sure what it is yet (for Reaktor that is).

If you don't have either of those, you could use something from Blue Cat Audio
called Remote Control

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... teControl/

good luck 8)
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:00 am

Willyum wrote:I misunderstood, I thought you was talking about the pads not being velocity sensitive.

Live has the midi velocity tools separate from the clips. In a regular audio clip there is a volume knob built right in, but with Midi clips you use 'Midi Effects' in the browser on the left. There are all kinds of midi tools over there. The device you are looking for is called ...... drum roll..... 'Velocity' lol. It's actually very awesome and gives you way more control than just Velocity. They have velocity compressors, fixed velocities and a bunch of other stuff. you just drop it in your track before it goes out to your external gear and you're set. Whoever told you you can't do that in Live, clearly has no idea what they are talking about.
actually i am not talking about velocity. i want the volume on push (for the selected track) to control MIDI CC 07 when i use a MIDI track. thanks for the input. i guess i wasn't very clear.

Airyck i think what you are talking about would work but i do not own MAX. I am very surprised the MIDI tracks don't control CC07.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 am

Third party script can do this. I don't know if there is a free one out there... (I linked it from the 2 minute 10 second point)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ct6Mxb ... tV79#t=133

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 am

I copied the link a little too close to the exact time, should have given a few seconds lead in.

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:52 pm

thats ok i went back a minute and saw that you can control external MIDI gear. this is what i need thanks Willyum.

Although i think this functionality should be native and come with the release of push. Ableton sure seems like a company that doesn't have it's act together.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Analog4Science wrote:thats ok i went back a minute and saw that you can control external MIDI gear. this is what i need thanks Willyum.

Although i think this functionality should be native and come with the release of push. Ableton sure seems like a company that doesn't have it's act together.
There are a lot of things that should just be added but at the same time I welcome any software that you can always find a work around for just about anything you want to do.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /