[RELEASE] Spectrasonics Trilian Presets for Push

Discuss Push with other users.
jestermgee

[RELEASE] Spectrasonics Trilian Presets for Push

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 am

Trilian VST Push Presets

I have finally completed the Trilian preset browser pack for Push. For all users who own Trilian and an Ableton Push you can now browse, load and tweak directly from Push.

This follows the same template procedure as my Omnisphere VST Pack for Push but Trilian is not as much of a massive beast. There is a very nice Macro section in Trilian which maps the top 12 parameters for each patch so for the Push Preset files I have simply created mappings to these controls.

What Is This?
Push is fantastic but lacks the ability to browse presets in a VST instrument. The only way to even load a VST into Ableton via Push is to "wrap" the VST in an Instrument Rack which can then be placed in the User library and loaded from Push. This is a fine solution that will allow you to load the VST but then you still have to use mouse/keyboard/ipad app to browse presets.

So, as many users have started to discover, if Push can load a VST in an Instrument rack then it is conceivable that if you created a rack for EVERY preset then you could basically browse the presets from Push

How Does This Work?
Rather simply in terms of installation and usage. Basically Instrument racks can be created for each preset and stored in a folder scheme. When you go to Push you can browse through the folder scheme in the same way you can in your explorer. Find an instrument and load it. You can then add more, swap out with another and it is very quick. Installation is as simple as copying the folder full of instrument presets to your Live user folder and you are free to place it wherever and arrange the files as you like.

What about Controlling the VST?
Got that pretty much covered. Before starting the wrapping process I first configured a "default" rack for Trilian which maps controls to all parameters in the Macro section of Trilian (12 controls in total). These are directly available from Push (or any MIDI instrument with "auto controller assignments") for tweaking without any mapping required. Simply load your patch and start to play.

The MACRO knobs in the rack are blank. This is for 2 reasons. The macro knobs do not update their value when switching presets so this is a real issue when creating racks. Secondly, you have access to the full mappings which is more useful than macros. The macros can be used for your own custom groupings.

How Did You Do This And What's Involved?
I use Live 9.1 and Windows 7 64bit. The preset files should work over MAC/PC (VST ONLY) if you know what you are doing. I own a LEGAL copy of Trilian and am using the 64bit version which is updated to the latest as of January 2014. Again, this should work just fine with the 32bit version of Trilian.

The process is is not overly complicated for someone with some basic scripting knowledge but is time consuming as the process is only semi-automated and requires manual intervention at the end of every category of patches.

The script was the same one I used for creating the Omnisphere patches and worked exactly the same way for Trilian so the process was much quicker due to a well refined and reliable script. The script basically hooks in with the Ableton and VST GUI and performs mouse and keyboard clicks within the GUI to load a patch, extract the name and save it as an Ableton Instrument rack.

Can I get the preset files changed or make a suggestion?
All suggestions welcome but here is the short of it.

To make a change to the way the presets have been constructed means re-ripping ALL presets. That is a Massive task that I simply wont do. If you are very serious about needing it done then I could offer to do it for a fee but for the effort it takes to set my PC running for days making presets it's really not worth my time for a few $$$. Presets were created for My use and offered for donations. If you don't pay, you don't have any say.

I am more willing to help other users do it for themselves as this will benefit the community more greatly than shelling out $$$ for each preset pack. Just express interest in doing it yourself and I will send you the script.

Do these work on MAC?
I don't own a mac but these are just preset files so should work just fine. Keep in mind though that these were created using the VST standard (not AU) so you need to have the VST version of the instrument installed for these to work.

Will you charge for this pack?
No!

There was a lot of effort to create, document and host these packs but at the end of the day these are just Preset files. I prefer to offer these for everyone to be able to access and if you agree these are brilliant and make your process more enjoyable then consider a donation to show your support and help keep the files hosted.

Download

>> Download Here <<

Donations
Please consider a donation if you appreciate these preset files. I also have the Omnisphere pack for free download too. More to come.

Last edited by jestermgee on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

eyeknow

Re: [RELEASE] Spectrasonics Trilian Presets for Push

Post by eyeknow » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 am

Excited!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 am

Download now available

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:54 pm

THX!

replika

Post by replika » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:19 am

many thanks!!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 am

eyeknow wrote:Excited!
You mentioned in the Omnisphere forum about an aftertouch killer for Trilian?

I know now exactly what you were on about. Seems Trilian responds to aftertouch all the time so after hitting a note you have the vibrato.

Can you point me to what you use to kill that? I may just create another wrapped pack to include a device that can remove that and map that to one of the macros to switch on/off. Since not everyone has Max4Live I will make it a separate pack.

EDIT: Found the link: http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/1854/putility

Would this be of useful benefit if I was to include this before the VST set to switch aftertouch OFF by default but have the option mapped to a macro? I'm finding it painful to experiment with some of the presets on Push and end up back on the keyboard.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:05 am

Yeah, that's the one. It's not perfect though because I still get stuff that you don't with a keyboard (glissendos, or whatnot)

It's easily the most annoying thing I've come across with push.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:42 am

Might have to play around with that and see what it can improve and what other things I may be able to do.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:05 am

hey there, i installed these presets to have a play (thanks!).

it's great being able to browse the presets from Push, although one downside is i find that the thousands of extra presets does slow the browser down quite a bit, partly because my Live library is on a hard drive, not an SSD. i'm curious: how many unique presets are there, i.e. not counting all the duplicate ones that are caused by flattening the Spectrasonics browser contents into individual presets? it's also a bit annoying that the duplicates show up in browser searches.

also, how does Live work out where the presets appear in the Instruments category of the browser? it seems that most of the racked presets appear in the Instruments/Instrument Rack/Other category of the browser, however some (e.g. the Dean's Harmonic Destiny ones) are showing up in the Ambient & Evolving category instead...

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 pm

Trillian preset pack I think tops about 7000 preset files of which about 6000 are unique.

I try and find a balance between the nested categories in Trillian (which causes some presets to be tagged in multiple categories) and simplified browsing in Push which is why you find in some instances I decided to combine a whole category section and split results into a couple of numbered folders.

The way live sorts the patches is the same as how Trilian sorts the patches. If you find a patch under a category in a folder in Live you should also find it exactly in the same category in Trilian. If not then something went wrong when I did them. You can make whatever changes you like. You can just go into the folders and delete files and rearrange folders etc if you don't want duplicates or if you prefer to cut down categories further.

In terms of slowing the browser down, it should only be a very minimal slowdown with these patches. One thing is to ensure you have left live for 10 minutes to index the files first. Just 3 weeks ago I was running live and the library on a HDD with a library that consisted of the Native instruments presets, Omnisphere, sylenth1, z3ta2 and 100,000 samples and on push it would take 4 seconds to open the browser but seemed to browse fine after the initial delay. I never noticed any difference in Live itself.

Still, some people seem to have some issues with the live indexing. They have made changes to its behaviour in the latest live versions for the better but this is one reason I don't charge for the presets because it's not suitable for everyone and at least you get to test it all out to see if it will benefit you.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri May 02, 2014 7:00 am

Ok, I'm ready to not be lazy and check these out but for a dummy like me, I'm sure about installation.

What it looks like to me is (and include omnisphere as well) I create a "vst synths" and then create an "omnishphere and "trilian" and then drag the "patches" in the corresponding folders. But, when extracted there are some other things in the extracted folder than I'm not sure if I need. These are:

TXT files (trilian)
exported lists (omnisphere)
omnisphere default.adg

Sorry to be such a dense one, but I just want to make sure I've got it right.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 02, 2014 3:43 pm

You can just drag the whole folder into a suitable location of yourse and link it in the library. If you put it in your ableton user folder it will just be picked up.

The txt files are not needed. They were just lists of all patches generated by the script. The default.adg file is the default Omnisphere preset that was used to create all the others so it's not really needed but can be used as a default patch.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat May 10, 2014 7:03 am

hi Jester McGee. Firstly, thanks for your hard work. :)

I just tried to DL and install the single patch to test before installing the whole thing (on OSX, Live 9.1.2), and couldn't get it to install.
'
I DL'd the 'Trillian_Default_Patch.zip' - double-clicked on it, and very breifly a '+Trilian Default Patch.adg' appears, before disappearing - then it creates a file: '+Trilian Default Patch' - which is a UNIX exec file. 8O

How do I install this on Mac?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sun May 11, 2014 7:06 am

Well, I got them to work (a major achievement for someone like me! )

Will play around tomorrow :)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Citizen wrote:hi Jester McGee. Firstly, thanks for your hard work. :)

I just tried to DL and install the single patch to test before installing the whole thing (on OSX, Live 9.1.2), and couldn't get it to install.
'
I DL'd the 'Trillian_Default_Patch.zip' - double-clicked on it, and very breifly a '+Trilian Default Patch.adg' appears, before disappearing - then it creates a file: '+Trilian Default Patch' - which is a UNIX exec file. 8O

How do I install this on Mac?
I don't have a MAC nor have I navigated the OS of a MAC since high school (1995) so I assume things have changed a bit... But the process should be just as simple (and is detailed in the PDF instructions).

There should only be a single "preset" file in the zip folder. Keep in mind this was all done on PC so not sure what other things may appear in there.

The preset files are all just Ableton instrument racks *.adg files which you just need to copy to a place you can access from Push. This would typically be a folder you create in your "Places" section. To test a preset you should be able to just drop it direct into Ableton and it should load up. Keep in mind these were created for the VST version of Trilian not the AU version so you need to make sure you are running the correct one on your system.