Ableton pad colors

Discuss Push with other users.
djMickSwell

Ableton pad colors

Post by djMickSwell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 am

I know when push first came out that users complained about the quality of the push pads and the calibration of the colors. Well I just bought a push about a couple weeks ago and I noticed that my pads seem to have the issue where the whites are not all white but there are shades of pink and purple. Also in drum rack mode the yellow pads are not all the same shade. Some are lighter than others. I was wondering if anyone knows if this issue was corrected and if I possibly got one from an older batch or if the issue was never addressed.

jestermgee

Re: Ableton pad colors

Post by jestermgee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 am

I don't believe it was ever even "acknowledged" as an "issue" but rather a bi-product of the way the LEDs produce colours and how some LEDs can differ in their manufacturing (typical boilerplate speak).

Ableton did release an RGB tweaking tool as part of their BETA tests some time ago (available only to Ableton beta testers) and though I only had a few slight variations in coloured pads it did seem to address mine and many others issues but it has not been released as an option outside the beta testing area as yet so know idea if there are potential issues.

login

Post by login » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 am

Write to support about your pad issue.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:45 am

Yeah, me too... Just got mine a week ago and its like HALF the pads are pinkish.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Let me know if you guys get this sorted out. I've been wanting to get push, but have been holding out because if this issue. Hopefully this RGB tool will address it.

login

Post by login » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

It has been posted quite a few times that if you have the problem you have to write to ableton support and they can provide you with the calibration tool.

There are also a good number of opinions around here about the calibration tool.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

The calibration tool worked very well for me....
login wrote:It has been posted quite a few times that if you have the problem you have to write to ableton support and they can provide you with the calibration tool.

There are also a good number of opinions around here about the calibration tool.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:36 pm

Buleriachk wrote:The calibration tool worked very well for me....
Can you reset to factory default now if you mess up? I think I remember reading that you can screw things up and not get them back when that re-calibration tool was in beta.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 am

you can remove the calibration afterwards. one big limitation is that the calibration only affects note mode, not session mode.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:48 am

fishmonkey wrote:calibration only affects note mode, not session mode.
In that case, I'll just stick to the Push Skins til they come up with some way of calibrating fully. I use PXT Plus scripts and would have wanted that calibrated too.

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

fishmonkey wrote:you can remove the calibration afterwards. one big limitation is that the calibration only affects note mode, not session mode.

I haven't notice this, how did you did?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

how did i did what?

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I need the tool and requested it, Ableton requested a picture of the out of color pads. they did not believe i had out of color pads! crazy. they are not getting off on a good foot with me as a new customer...

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Analog4Science wrote:they did not believe i had out of color pads! crazy.
I do not think that is the case... They know people are having color issues, that's why they have the tool to begin with...
I think the picture is more about 2 things...business between Ableton and Akai, they contracted out Akai to make these products for them and Akai is delivering faulty items (you don't pay full price and get faulty items... so pictures would be required for proof for Abes to say 'hey, we paid you and this is what you are delivering). And 2, I've read some people complain about the results when using calibration causing some pads to become much dimmer, in that case they would want to see if your unit is bad enough to gauge whether using the tool may make matters worse (I would guess in these situations it would be better for them to rma your unit)

This is just my guess based on the fact that they KNOW people are having problems. I would strongly suggest that you take the pic and send it to them cause if it does become a legal issue between them, maybe they will recall the faulty units and replace them with perfect units. But if you are not on record with them as having a faulty unit, you won't get yours!

Analog4Science

Post by Analog4Science » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:01 pm

I won't get an RMA anyway because I bought it used on Ebay. even though the seller had only used it a few times and the controller is basically brand new.
The colors being off don't bother me enough to send it off. i would much rather have it here to use than wait for an RMA on an issue like this.

But good points about them wanting to use the pics as evidence when approaching Akai, you are probably right.