is Push now considered 'feature-complete' ?

Discuss Push with other users.
hoffman2k

Re: is Push now considered 'feature-complete' ?

Post by hoffman2k » Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 am

yur2die4 wrote:Has anyone made an m4l instrument that lets you 'play' the knobs by strumming them and holding pads for note values etc?? (Or play them like marimbas/percussion. One interesting idea also is that if you hold a 'note' / knob, maybe you can augment it as it is being sustained via knob twisting )

Or chess: http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/chess-for-max/

Edit: okay okay, hear me out. This is only recently becoming more sorted in my head. Imagine that the knobs are to be strummed. But can be twisted to change timbral quality per string. And the velocity would be controlled by pad pressure, as the pads would be held like a fret board. Yeah
That was the fun thing about the MPC renaissance. A grid of 16 touch encoders that sent out notes when touched. Great to make those droplets sounds or drones.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Did I hear someone say you can't do fixed length audio? I can.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Tue May 06, 2014 6:43 am

uuuuh!!! how? tell me tell me!!! :)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 06, 2014 7:19 pm

nemoy wrote:uuuuh!!! how? tell me tell me!!! :)
Hold down "fixed length" and select what you wish.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue May 06, 2014 10:38 pm

eyeknow wrote:
nemoy wrote:uuuuh!!! how? tell me tell me!!! :)
Hold down "fixed length" and select what you wish.
only works for midi clips, not audio clips, no?

[edit] well well! it works when using Push's record button, didn't know that!
it doesn't work when triggering the record-armed clip slots though, which is probably what i've attempted to do in the past and assumed it wasn't possible. good to know cheers!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed May 07, 2014 1:38 am

The most annoying thing about push is (back to midi) you can't overdub with the metronome count in :x

As long as it's a short clip it's not a deal breaker but still annoying as hell.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 am

garyboozy wrote:[edit] well well! it works when using Push's record button, didn't know that!
it doesn't work when triggering the record-armed clip slots though, which is probably what i've attempted to do in the past and assumed it wasn't possible. good to know cheers!
Yay! well... kind of yay... i never use the rec button for audioclips...
always triggering that shit from the grid in session mode...

When recordings several different clips one after another,
and on different channels with different instruments... you'd just mess up using the rec button...

I'd prefer fixed lenght audioclip recordings triggered directly via the grid!!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 am

eyeknow wrote:The most annoying thing about push is (back to midi) you can't overdub with the metronome count in :x

As long as it's a short clip it's not a deal breaker but still annoying as hell.
Yeah, that whole thing is so confusing to me. I'd be happy if pressing that button simply did what clicking its on-screen equivalent does.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm

nemoy wrote:
garyboozy wrote:[edit] well well! it works when using Push's record button, didn't know that!
Yay! well... kind of yay... i never use the rec button for audioclips...
always triggering that shit from the grid in session mode...

When recordings several different clips one after another,
and on different channels with different instruments... you'd just mess up using the rec button...

I'd prefer fixed lenght audioclip recordings triggered directly via the grid!!
We need the abes to start implementing some of this stuff.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 09, 2014 11:20 am

I think the fact that the API was changed so much in the last release (without really anything showing an application for it yet), and that the API changes made it necessary for Stray to adapt his PXT scripts for Push so that he had to drop support for older versions (so they very much affect functionality related to Push), shows that probably some big things are still in store.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 am

TomViolenz wrote:I think the fact that the API was changed so much in the last release (without really anything showing an application for it yet), and that the API changes made it necessary for Stray to adapt his PXT scripts for Push so that he had to drop support for older versions (so they very much affect functionality related to Push), shows that probably some big things are still in store.
Yeah, that API runs deep. The great thing is, whatever comes next, we won't need a Mark II to get all of the fun. And Ableton is making an effort to communicate API changes to the people who make custom scripts.
I suppose the real answer to the original question is: Push will never be feature complete.
Every time something is added to Live, it will need an API link. Which means a potential feature change for controllers and scripts.
Not everything is even hooked up yet.
For example, there is no API link to the colors of Tracks/Chains inside Drum Racks. So we (or Ableton) can't use those colors to change the Pads on Push to match. Yet...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun May 11, 2014 9:59 am

hoffman2k wrote: For example, there is no API link to the colors of Tracks/Chains inside Drum Racks. So we (or Ableton) can't use those colors to change the Pads on Push to match. Yet...
That's where I get a little disappointed, the API changes they made seem to go pretty deep, but I don't think simple things like this (and I can't imagine that this is a particularly difficult thing to open up to the API without breaking anything) have been adressed.

And as long as things are not open to the API not even third party developers like Stray can give us the functionality. (The workaround using Bomes MT that Stray uses in PXT Live Plus nonwithstanding)

I, for instance would love to have access to the five parameters that make up the grooves!

Imagine how groovy these step-sequenced drum patterns could sound, if you could adjust these on the fly from Push. As it is, changing the grooves live is a total non-issue (apart from the global groove amount, but that really doesn't do it for me)

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 12, 2014 3:51 am

hoffman2k wrote:there is no API link to the colors of Tracks/Chains inside Drum Racks. So we (or Ableton) can't use those colors to change the Pads on Push to match. Yet...
Not matching colors... but I would like to point out something very cool that Stray did with PXT.... In the script text you can assign colors to sounds in drum racks....
PAD_COLOR_TO_NAME = RED_FULL, Snare, Snr, rim, sd
PAD_COLOR_TO_NAME = PURPLE_FULL, Kick, BD, kik, kic, sub
PAD_COLOR_TO_NAME = WHITE_FULL, hat, hh

In this example all my snares are red (full brightness), my Kicks are purple and my high hats are white. it all works auto-magically for any patch I load up or any samples I dump onto pads, As long as the name of the sample has a version of the name of the sound in it (so a Kick drum named 'Pepsi-cola.wav' won't work in this example) But what is cool is you choose and add as many tags as you want and choose all your own colors to represent.

This is one of my favorite Features of PXT that I almost never see anyone mention.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Isn't that only a functionality found in PXT Live PLUS?! If I'm not mistaken he needed to do a workaround using Bomes MT to get this to work.

I will start using it, if it shows up in different parts of PXT Live PLUS as well. I would like the poly-sub mode of the step sequencer to start using these colors. That would be very usefull!

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm

Sorry, yes you're right, that is the Plus extension. And yeah, I would love to be able to access those colors wherever DrumRack pads are (including default push... cause I use default just as much as PXT)