Drum Rack automations for send/returns with Push

Discuss Push with other users.
micadoe

Drum Rack automations for send/returns with Push

Post by micadoe » Fri May 09, 2014 4:18 pm

hey guys.

i'm stuck with this idea since i was playing around with an elktron machinedrum:

when you set your pattern in the sequencer, u can adjust each note, while pressing it, make changes for attack, rel, transpose and so on. and it gets even better, since single notes/drum hits can also get their own effect. e.g. having two snares in one bar, one played dry, the second one fully packed in reverb...

i was trying to do the same with ableton and push. and it works almost like it:
setting your pattern, you can touch a pad, hold it, and then adjust all note settings (nudge, lenght, fine, vel), and also the automations that are offered by the simpler (start, lenght, att, rel, transp, vol and so on), which will be written as automation curve in the clip.

but i was wandering if it could also work for effects (as described above, sending a single hit of a sound to it)?
putting an effect in the drum rack's return channel doesnt seem to be reachable for push and must be automated by hand.

any ideas for another workaround?
would really appreciate your help!!! and just imagine the fu you could have with it, too!!:)

TomViolenz

Re: Drum Rack automations for send/returns with Push

Post by TomViolenz » Fri May 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Check out PXT Live! It's a script that will add a lot of functionality to Push under the User button. Control of the first 5 DrumRack sends among them!

micadoe

Post by micadoe » Fri May 09, 2014 6:43 pm

thanks for the tip. i had this one in mind, good to know, they've implemented it.

any other ideas you guys? maybe even a hint how this could work with changing the script?

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:05 am

I was shocked when I discovered that I couldn't automate or control send effects on individual drum rack channels from Push. This feels like the biggest oversight in Push. I really really hope they fix this in the next update but I haven't heard anything from them that this is on their radar. As a former Elektron user I find it incredibly limiting to not be able to automate sends the sends on my drum rack channels. I guess I'll check out the PXT Live...
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:37 am

jj0b wrote:I was shocked when I discovered that I couldn't automate or control send effects on individual drum rack channels from Push. This feels like the biggest oversight in Push. … I guess I'll check out the PXT Live...
Well, before Live 9.2 is released it doesn't make much sense as automation data isn't delay compensated in 9.1.7 and earlier versions (probably not in the coming bug fix 9.1.8 either).

So this means a send on the beat could happen at some other point in time. Not good.
Make some music!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 pm

I would definitely like to see access to the Drum rack sends and return devices from Push (in non-user mode) for the exact same purpose; step automation of send levels from Push.

If you spent some time building up a default template you could gain access to the send controls.

http://www.covops.org/max_for_live_collection/

The sixteen macros from the above collection could be useful for this purpose.

I'm actually working on a drum rack for this including selectable drum synths controllable from the Push controller with insert FX and Send FX pre-loaded. I'm trying to make the controls really make sense and I'm basing it loosely around the Machinedrum concept (or at least getting some ideas from there).

I'll share it when I'm finished but not sure when that will be exactly (hopefully very soon).
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

login

Post by login » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 am

I made the suggestion on the beta site for control of the drum rack mixer with Push, it doesn't has too many votes still. It seems strange since mixing drums and using sends would be pretty much a very basic need.

Anyway look for the suggestion and vote it in the beta site-