How to expand grouped tracks? (such as a drum rack)

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Citizen

How to expand grouped tracks? (such as a drum rack)

Post by Citizen » Sat May 10, 2014 2:27 am

I'll be damned if I can work out how to make a group of tracks expand using push so that Ican see all channels within - such as on a drum rack.

How is this done - so that I can see all my individual drum channels on Push and adjust their levels, panning etc individually?

Citizen

Re: How to expand grouped tracks? (such as a drum rack)

Post by Citizen » Sat May 10, 2014 2:29 am

Also, I don't suppose there exists a Push 'cheat sheet' - ie a list of all the hidden, and not so apparent commands. :?:

That would be ace!

micadoe

Post by micadoe » Sat May 10, 2014 10:04 am

hey citizen.

if you're in session view, you just hold the pad that you normally use to arm a track (first row below lcd) for 1-2seconds and the group will open/close.

for panning etc, select drum rack, push 'note', choose the drum sound in the lower left square, press 'device', choose the sound in the first row (lcd should show: drum rack, 'sound' , additional effects ...), then press the 'down arrow' button two times ( should now show simpler options) and choose 'PtchMdfr' (button four). there you go.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat May 10, 2014 11:08 am

micadoe wrote:hey citizen.

if you're in session view, you just hold the pad that you normally use to arm a track (first row below lcd) for 1-2seconds and the group will open/close.
Thanks man!

Although, I noticed two things: That you can't unfold a drum rack, nor can you unfold a group that is within another group.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Sat May 10, 2014 11:12 am

micadoe wrote:for panning etc, select drum rack, push 'note', choose the drum sound in the lower left square, press 'device', choose the sound in the first row (lcd should show: drum rack, 'sound' , additional effects ...), then press the 'down arrow' button two times ( should now show simpler options) and choose 'PtchMdfr' (button four). there you go.
Again, thanks for that. Not exactly intuitive :roll: - does this become second nature with practice?

Coming from Maschine - which I find to be infinitely more intuitive - Push commands that require 4/5 button presses make me wonder if things are easier with the Mouse! :P

micadoe

Post by micadoe » Sat May 10, 2014 11:34 am

Citizen wrote: Although, I noticed two things: That you can't unfold a drum rack, nor can you unfold a group that is within another group.
A Group within another group? how'd you do that?? i thought that was impossible...

Yeah i just figured that it isnt even possible to set the internal drum rack sends via push, which i think is a downer. i would even push a 5th button for that;)

Citizen wrote: Again, thanks for that. Not exactly intuitive :roll: - does this become second nature with practice?

Coming from Maschine - which I find to be infinitely more intuitive - Push commands that require 4/5 button presses make me wonder if things are easier with the Mouse! :P
well, yes, you have to dig deep sometimes. but as g. behles stated it once: "push is supposed to be seen as an instrument, the more you practice it, the more fun you'll have" so i guess it's just a question of finger practice;P

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Mon May 12, 2014 11:50 pm

This is where the pxt live/plus scripts can help.

Press User to enter pxt live/plus
Press Pan & Send to get overview of Drum channel volume, pan and sends
Use encoder 7 to scroll through drum pads or
Press Session + Note to enter Drum Mode to select which drum you want to manipulate

I would also like to see an expand drum rack function that works as it does for groups.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 am

Citizen wrote:Also, I don't suppose there exists a Push 'cheat sheet' - ie a list of all the hidden, and not so apparent commands. :?:

That would be ace!
Because789's essential thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=196560

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 am

Don't forget you can use the extract chain command to extract individual drum sounds to their own tracks for easier mixing from the Push controller. You could even group them after and it also makes it easier to experiment with individual drum sounds when arranging.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /