Crossfader Control in Push

Discuss Push with other users.
Buleriachk

Crossfader Control in Push

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:22 pm

There is a way to control the crossfader from Push that I just discovered while researching a possible purchase of the Novation LaunchControl to add to Launchpad (as an alternative to the upcoming APC Mini). Turns out that you can control the crossfader slider with a row of buttons in User Mode.

http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/ ... leton-live

So I wondered whether you could do the same thing with Push. Sure enough, I went into User Mode on Push and MIDI Mode in live, pressed the first and last buttons, exited Midi Mode and Voila! I was able to control the crossfader in Live...

I don't know how effectively it works in performance, but it is convenient for testing dry/wet tracks for my guitar inputs....

Update: This works without PXT. You enable the Port 2 inputs and outputs of Push as a second control surface (with "none" control surface specified), and set the Remote Inputs and outputs to "On". Then Midi on in Live, and set focus to the crossfader.
Shift to User mode, and press the first and last pads of a row). Exit User mode, and note that the crossfader now has a midi assigniment. Exit Mide, go back into User mode, and the row you selected will now control the cross fader in 8 steps.

TomViolenz

Re: Crossfader Control in Push

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:47 am

Well, in PXT you can control the crossfader with the touch strip.....

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Ok, I can assign one of the top eight knobs to the crossfader in user mode via MIDI, and it seems to work OK (no PXT).

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:47 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Well, in PXT you can control the crossfader with the touch strip.....
I tried PXT, but it seems to lose the lock when I leave User Mode if I tweak any other parameter (it maps the touchstrip to that parameter, and loses the crossfader mapping.)

The crossfader is hardwired to "modulator" mode; it snaps back to the center position when the touchstrip is released, which may be PXT's problem.

Well, I have an APC40 Mk2 on order, so will see how that works with Push...

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:09 pm

Buleriachk wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:Well, in PXT you can control the crossfader with the touch strip.....
I tried PXT, but it seems to lose the lock when I leave User Mode if I tweak any other parameter (it maps the touchstrip to that parameter, and loses the crossfader mapping.)

The crossfader is hardwired to "modulator" mode; it snaps back to the center position when the touchstrip is released, which may be PXT's problem.

Yes, you will lose the setting when you leave User mode, that's just how it is. But the rest is just that you didn't take the time to set it up. Read the manual.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:29 pm

No, I DID get it set up (the manual is not real clear that that is what is going on, at least IMO). The deal breaker was that I lost the setting outside of user mode in PXT (which makes the touchstrip useless to me. Not only that, but PXT hardwired the next control I tweaked to the touchstrip, and would not give it up - at least during the time I tried it).

Assigning the crossfader to a knob to MIDI works better, because I don't lose functionality by going in and out of user mode. That said, I am happy you find the PXT functionality useful in your work flow.

But if there is an issue, I'll leave it to you and Stray to hack it out; I'm outta here. One way or the other, the crossfader requires an extra control surface with a user mode for my work flow, such as it is...

I'm outta here for now, but if anything changes in PXT I think I'd like to know. On the other hand, maybe not... :D
TomViolenz wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:

Yes, you will lose the setting when you leave User mode, that's just how it is. But the rest is just that you didn't take the time to set it up. Read the manual.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:03 pm

From the manual:

"If you’d like to maintain control over the Crossfader, lock the Touch Strip immediately after loading a set."

This way it won't dynamically reassign new parameters to it.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:20 am

I know that is what the manual says. It did NOT work for me after numerous attempts. It would stay locked as long as I stayed in user mode, but once I left and tweaked a parameter, the touchstrip would lock to that parameter, and I would have restart Ableton to get the user touchstip again.

Like I said, if it works for you, fine, but again, it did NOT for me, and I am a fairly advanced user (in my own mind).

In any case, I just realized that I had a Maschine Mk2 in my closet, and hooked it up as a control surface with the new Maschine Ableton template (ver 2), which works extraordinarily well with both Maschine Mk3 and Studio (so I can dedicate the push as an instrument)

Anyway, I am absolutely delighted that PXT works so well for you, and revel in your enjoyment....
TomViolenz wrote:From the manual:

"If you’d like to maintain control over the Crossfader, lock the Touch Strip immediately after loading a set."

This way it won't dynamically reassign new parameters to it.

Lye

Post by Lye » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Wait, what is PTX? I can't find any info on it. touch strip fader would be dope.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Lye wrote:Wait, what is PTX? I can't find any info on it. touch strip fader would be dope.
http://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-Live.html

Lye

Post by Lye » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:58 pm