Am I missing out without Push?

Discuss Push with other users.
djMickSwell

Am I missing out without Push?

Post by djMickSwell » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Hey all.

I have been wrestling with the idea of Ableton Push. The marketing of it is so good, they make it seem like if you have Live 9 you NEED a Push or its like your missing out and not experiencing Live 9 in its entirety. Personally, I don't step sequence. I am into sample based production and I am starting to think Maschine would be more suitable for me. I could finish a track in Ableton once exported. So I guess my question is what am I really missing out on without Push and does anyone here prefer an alternative to Push with Live 9. Thanks for your input in advance.

login

Re: Am I missing out without Push?

Post by login » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Depends a lot on your needs, workflow and states.

My advice is that you should try them before buying.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:00 pm

djMickSwell wrote:Hey all.

I have been wrestling with the idea of Ableton Push. The marketing of it is so good, they make it seem like if you have Live 9 you NEED a Push or its like your missing out and not experiencing Live 9 in its entirety. Personally, I don't step sequence. I am into sample based production and I am starting to think Maschine would be more suitable for me. I could finish a track in Ableton once exported. So I guess my question is what am I really missing out on without Push and does anyone here prefer an alternative to Push with Live 9. Thanks for your input in advance.
Well step sequencing is a lot of it's power (and of the additional scripts for it that give even more powerful stepsequencing)
If you really don't care for it (and don't just have unsatisfactory experiences, because the other controllers just didn't have a very good step sequencer)
Then a lot of its allure is weakend.

But you also have the scale mode for playing your instruments, and quite good (within the limitations of Live) device control.

I'd say if 500 bucks is not an outragous amount of money for you, get it. I've yet to meet a person who didn't like his/her Push.

Sional

Post by Sional » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

I am a long time Live user who has Push (with PXT Live) and Maschine. Personally I prefer Maschine, which I think complements Live very well and can also be used as a Live controller and standalone to make a change from Live.
Then again I prefer playing my keyboard to pads and I find that using the mouse in Live's clip view is a more powerful step sequencer (more instruments and bars are visible and multiple events can be edited at once).
Obviously Ableton could vastly improve the current functionality of Push (and hopefully without having to purchase Live 10).

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:02 pm

1. With Live, it is highly recommended to learn as much as possible using the software while transitioning into hardware.

2. When it comes to sampling, Maschine is unbeatable. The pads are sleek and you get a visual display of waveforms with a lot of functionality and control. Also, browsing samples is a snap and works very fast. You could sample things and edit things without ever touching the computer. Push cannot do that.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:56 pm

For me, the most important aspect of Push is as a musical instrument - the immediate flexibility with scales and chords, especially with Clyphx....

Ignifluous

Post by Ignifluous » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:38 pm

The fact that Push & a Laptop can both fit in the same backpack is a game changer for if you travel at all. Suddenly all those multi-hour train journeys and flights stop being interminable boredom, and become epic compositional jam sessions.

So yeah, I reckon Push is awesome. Its ability to make most of Live accessible from a hardware instrument, and let you ignore your laptop while threshing out ideas is incredible.

.... but, because of that, its personal suitability will be highly dependant on workflow. If you can pull it off, It might be worth visiting a music store and see if they'll let you have a play with one. It's in their interest after all - if you like it, you might buy one!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm a big fan of Push n'all, but I wouldn't be caught dead with one on my lap on a train. Apart from the fact that this just screems douche, the thing is fucking HEAVY!

Ignifluous

Post by Ignifluous » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 am

Heh, fair call. But for me personally, I far rather look silly than spend seven hours staring aimlessly out the window at the clouds. We're all different.

Further, the point about weight is a good one. It's no backbreaker on its own imo, but coupled with a heavyish laptop, the combined weight can get up there. If you plan on carrying Push + a laptop around a lot, this is definitely worth considering.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:12 am

For traveling, consider Launchpad and Isotonik, Launchpad95, or NativeKontrol?
(I wonder whether the APC Mini will have a Note Mode; I'm sure it will sooner or later... :)

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

Buleriachk wrote:(I wonder whether the APC Mini will have a Note Mode; I'm sure it will sooner or later... :)
My hope is set on Stray in this regard.
I also home he implements the PXT/LPC2 steps sequencers and the PXT Live Plus Meter mode on it. The Meter mode would really shine on this device, because you have the faders to control what you are seeing right on the device below the meters 8)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 pm

I think a factor to consider when making scripts for products is their popularity and their ability for inter-device support.

If for instance, the rollout of most of Akai's new APC-based devices all use the same cc's etc, it might be easier to make one script for a variety of them that many people will want.

However, one must observe how Akai has released a few devices tailored with unique qualities for the new APC things. What this also means is that the User Base might be split. Top that with how the idea isn't AS fresh and new as it was when they had the first APC.

Alright, so why is this something to take into account? Mostly because he makes sure to support his product through every Live update.

So when thinking about whether or not he'll write for something, those are things to imagine. I bet Live updates are a headache. I admire his integrity by making sure to keep something you buy from him relevant. Still, hopefully he will make something for these :D

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm hopefull, because he can probably adopt much of what he already did for the Launchpad, as I would assume the Midi layout to be pretty similar. And secondly because he already has a tradition with APC scripts.

I'm also pretty sure that at the price if 99 USD the APC Mini will be wildly popular!

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:23 am

ive been researching it alot since i am getting it in a couple weeks. i think it is perfect as a performance steppsequencing tool for live in a performance setting with your macbook, its also good for creativity like making fast arps that you couldnt make on a keyboard, it is designed for ableton by ableton , so i think ou should get it. maschine is not an instrument like push is

Sional

Post by Sional » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am

Inversoundzzz wrote: its also good for creativity like making fast arps that you couldnt make on a keyboard,
Not sure what you mean by this. The instrument step sequencer in Push is not as useful as you might think because you can only see 8 steps and one octave (8 notes) at any one time.