Browse, load and control VSTs from Push

Discuss Push with other users.
stevieoswald

Browse, load and control VSTs from Push

Post by stevieoswald » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:21 am

Hi guys
If you want to browse, load and control VSTs properly from Push, you may be interested in a quick update on activities at www.craftedsound.com

We still have free packs for Zebra2 and Zebralette that you can check out.

We now also sell packs for:

Arturia V Collection (10 synths), Sylenth, Synthmaster, Nexus2, Ultra Analog, Alchemy, Diva, ANA and Spire.

In addition you can find the following which have been done well by others:

1. NI Komplete and more (for sale at Audiomodder.com)
2. Omnisphere and Trillian (free or donation from Freelance Soundlabs)

Hope someone finds this useful - have fun!

Stevie

Syver

Re: Browse, load and control VSTs from Push

Post by Syver » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:35 am

Hello Stevie,

Are the Analog Laboratory vst presets included ?

Thanks

Waldgeist

Post by Waldgeist » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info, but I really think this functionality should be included in Live out-of-the-box.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Waldgeist wrote:Thanks for the info, but I really think this functionality should be included in Live out-of-the-box.
How should Ableton developers be able to know what parameters are available for every VST out there and the ones that haven't been released yet?

I'm a software developer, although I know nothing about VST standard development, but unless there were standardized ways to communicate with every possible VST feature (whether VSTs chose to implement all the features or not) and VST developers actually stuck with those standards - which many would likely not), it would be impossible for Ableton to develop the code to do this. This is why there are "software drivers" for everything you can connect to your computers - so the OS can communicate with these other devices.

Anyway, back to the original post...may download those Zebra mappings and give them a whirl. Would be great to be able to use my Push since Zebra has become my goto soft synth. Has anyone used these yet? Thoughts?

And thanks for putting these out there!

login

Post by login » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Waldgeist wrote:Thanks for the info, but I really think this functionality should be included in Live out-of-the-box.
???

Racks for every vst preset? I dont see how is this ewould be possible.

As stated above VSt support is trickky because developers implement things differently, specially preset management.

Some VST's allow changing preset thorugh MIDI program change, you can use a m4l device to send this kind of messages and change rpesets very easily and much more fast that browsing and loading racks.

stevieoswald

Post by stevieoswald » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Hey Syver
We have included Analog Lab in our Arturia pack, but not Analog Laboratory. Our Analog Lab pack has the approximately 5,200 presets categorised into 'Multi' and 'Sounds'. These can all be browsed and loaded from Push, then controlled with Push's encoders.
Thanks and all the best
Stevie

PS as mentioned by someone else, yes some of the VSTs allow for a degree of control via M4L. Even for these ones though, I think the racks that we and others have made do offer an advantage. For example, if, like me, you like to compose or perform with your laptop closed (I use the 'NO SLEEP" app for this with my Macbook, as I know a lot of other people do), and if you only want to use Push's screen, then the racks are probably the way to go. With the M4L signals, you still need to look at the computer screen to see what presets you're looking at. All approaches are potentially good though of course, depending on your situation :)

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

stevieoswald wrote:Hey Syver
We have included Analog Lab in our Arturia pack, but not Analog Laboratory. Our Analog Lab pack has the approximately 5,200 presets categorised into 'Multi' and 'Sounds'. These can all be browsed and loaded from Push, then controlled with Push's encoders.
Thanks and all the best
Stevie
Hi there,

With the Arturia MiniLab controller (and the others too I think), you could assign specific chords to the pads, is this possible with the script, or is purely preset navigation and 8 macro controls? The MiniLab controller has 16 knobs that instantly map for each preset (the same knob sometimes changing what synth parameter it affects), does the script just split these into 2 banks of Push controls?

cheers

stevieoswald

Post by stevieoswald » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Hey Steve - it's preset navigation and (usually) 128 mapped controls. These are mapped in banks which are accessed with a couple of hits of the 'in' button on Push, and they can then be controlled with Push's encoders. The 8 of these which you are using most for a particular project can of course be mapped to the 8 macros manually if desired. In practice the main advantage of this is to save one hit on the 'in" button and, perhaps, to have all your favourites on one Push screen.
Hope that helps - the vids at www.craftedsound.com more or less demonstrate what I'm saying here.
All the best
Stevie

selthym

Post by selthym » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Hi Stevie,

I've downloaded your Zebra pack. Thanks for giving this away for free. The preset browsing is great.

One piece of feedback i do have is that the mapped paramaters seem to be all over the place. For instance, the envelope 1 (amp) envelope is split between pages 10 & 11. Filter res bank 12, cut off 13.

have you considered grouping these in a more streamlined manner and are the banks and paramater grouping in your Diva integration cleaner?

stevieoswald

Post by stevieoswald » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey, thanks for the feedback Selthym. Basically the answer is that when we have done it manually, we have done it as cleanly/logically as possible. However, in the case of some VSTs (I think Zebra was one of these) Live did the mapping automatically. They are a minority though.
Even for the manually done ones, obviously there are 128 parameters and sometimes they don't fit completely logically onto screens/banks. Sometimes also we have to make a call on which to include if more than 128 are available. (Some other people who have made racks have only included a much smaller number of mapped parameters, presumably to avoid messiness, but we took the view that we wanted them all there).

With regard to DIVA, we've sold a lot of this without any complaints so far. However, if you like you can send an email to info@craftedsound.com and we'll be happy to send you a single rack so you can see the configuration for yourself.
NB As you probably know, you can change the positioning of a given parameter within or across banks by hitting configure on the rack on Live's screen and then dragging. You can also choose your most used eight parameters and map to the macros so they appear on the first screen if you like.
Hope this helps and all the best
Stevie

Rokki21

Post by Rokki21 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi there, just got a push and getting my libraries and vsts organised. This looks good.

I'm on mac 64bit. I have jbridge for sylenth. Will your product still work with sylenth?

Also are you considering a pack for Dune 2 ?

Thanks

stevieoswald

Post by stevieoswald » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:52 am

Hi there Rokki
We don't have the J Bridge I'm afraid but it seems likely it would work give that the J Bridge provides normal functionality for Sylenth with Live 64 bit. If you like you can send us an email at info@craftedsound.com and we'll send you a single rack so you can test it.
With regard to Dune2 - yep, we're just back from being on the road for a while with other activities. We're planning to look at which VSTs to do next over the next few weeks. We'll certainly look at Dune2
All the best, Stevie

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Loading presets from push makes less sense for me, especially since there is no prelisten.
Anyways
It would be nice if we could zap through premade clips without the need to reload the entire content.
However this isn't possible without either since custom created clips contain NO prelisten file and therefore takes some time to load which suxx.
If you feel the same just vote for: SUG-0585 please

Syver

Post by Syver » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:15 am

How does one vote ?

ansolas

Post by ansolas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 am

Syver wrote:How does one vote ?
You need to register for the beta(ableton.centercode.com) of live.
This should be teh link to the feature suggestion:
https://ableton.centercode.com/project/ ... 24C04BFC40

(ps why the heck doesnt centercode have prettier slugs huh)