Push-ArrangeMode - control your arrangement view from Push

Discuss Push with other users.
P739

Re: Push-ArrangeMode - control your arrangement view from Push

Post by P739 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm also having the same issue as Mson, Shift+Session isn't putting my Push 2 into arrange mode.

I'm on Live 9.7.1 and Max 7.3.1, and I'm using the latest version of Push-ArrangeMode (using the Push2-ArrangeMode.amxd file, I assume that's the correct one for Push 2). If I open the Max window I can see a bunch of errors like "Push-Select_Button: No such object" etc, not sure if that's normal?

kites

Post by kites » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:53 am

Any new comments with using this and the Push 2 in arrangement mode? I've got Push 2 and Behringer's Xtouch control surface coming in the mail.

I'm wondering if the X-touch is redundant for Live 9 as I haven't seen any viddys with Push in arrangement view. From what I've seen, Push 2 still has a pretty healthy amount of menu diving which I hope the X-touch can alleviate. :wink:
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

mson

Post by mson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:04 pm

P739 wrote:I'm also having the same issue as Mson, Shift+Session isn't putting my Push 2 into arrange mode.

I'm on Live 9.7.1 and Max 7.3.1, and I'm using the latest version of Push-ArrangeMode (using the Push2-ArrangeMode.amxd file, I assume that's the correct one for Push 2). If I open the Max window I can see a bunch of errors like "Push-Select_Button: No such object" etc, not sure if that's normal?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I managed to contact the dev by writing to contact@tete-de-son.com. He sent me an earlier version which works like a charm (very useful device btw) and said he'll try to find out why the new one doesn't work like it should. I think currently he downgraded the version available thru maxforlive.com.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Hey dudes,
I have a v2 in the pipeline which mainly adds a lot of keyboard shortcuts on the grid.
It's supposed to work on mac and pc, but I don't have any pc to test unfortunately.
So if some of you are interested in beta testing it (and especially pc users), please drop me an email with your purchase receipt and I'll send you the device.
Cheers!

RosyGlow

Post by RosyGlow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:46 pm

What I'm really really looking for is the ability to have the green playhead light when editing clips in arrangement view. This shows up when editing / sequencing clips in session, but not arrangement.
Is this feature implemented in this plugin?

latingate

Post by latingate » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm

So.. does Push-ArrangeMode works fine with Push 2 & OSX ?

packq

Post by packq » Sun May 07, 2017 9:49 am

This looks great!! All working, or is there any issue?

mksd

Post by mksd » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 pm

In case anyone is having issues with Push-ArrangeMode not working: Are you using your Push with a custom Control Surface Script? If yes, this might well be the culprit.

When ArrangeMode wouldn't work on my system (Push 2, Live 9.7.1, Max 7.3.1, OSX 10.12.5) I contacted the developer and nosed around a bit until I remembered that I used the Push XL control script by Isotonik to enable their mapping editor PrEditor. After switching to the native control script by Ableton, ArrangeMode worked as it's supposed to. Julien then sent me a version that works with the Isotonik script, so everything's fine now.

TD;LR: ArrangeMode works fine unless you use Push with a custom Control Surface Script. In that case the developer is probably able to help you out.

kites

Post by kites » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:57 am

mksd wrote:In case anyone is having issues with Push-ArrangeMode not working: Are you using your Push with a custom Control Surface Script? If yes, this might well be the culprit.

When ArrangeMode wouldn't work on my system (Push 2, Live 9.7.1, Max 7.3.1, OSX 10.12.5) I contacted the developer and nosed around a bit until I remembered that I used the Push XL control script by Isotonik to enable their mapping editor PrEditor. After switching to the native control script by Ableton, ArrangeMode worked as it's supposed to. Julien then sent me a version that works with the Isotonik script, so everything's fine now.

TD;LR: ArrangeMode works fine unless you use Push with a custom Control Surface Script. In that case the developer is probably able to help you out.
Ah that makes sense. I think I have 3 scripts running simultaneously, are you able to run Push XL and ArrangeMode together?

On a side note, how do you like Push XL? I never got mine to work.
MacBookPro11,2 15” mid 2014
Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
4 Core, 16 GB

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 pm

REF: Push XL - Get in touch through support on the website, theres a troubleshooting guide which details the files we need to help you troubleshoot.

Cheers
D

Roodegar

Post by Roodegar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 am

Just tested out V2 beta 04. The key commands that are now mapped to the pads are a great improvement. I haven't tried all of them yet but this is awesome!

I especially like that in arrangement view I can now use the arrow buttons on the right to step through the tracks. One thing I noticed however is that now the up and down buttons are used for previous and next track vs. the left and right buttons like in session view. I feel this is a bit counter intuitive. On the Push's display the tracks are laid out horizontally and when I'm not looking at the monitor and only use the Push I have to re-adjust when switching views. I understand that on the computer monitor the tracks are stacked vertically in arrangement view but isn't the point of this device that I don't look at the monitor so much? I think it should rather follow the Push's display layout.

I also noticed that only the first 8 tracks are showing in the push's display. In session view I can step through all of them and they move left and right. In arrangement view they don't. I understand this is just a beta version. Is this something that hasn't been fully implemented yet?

Another thing is that sometimes the beta stops working and I have to reload it.

Overall great update. Keep the good work up!

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:23 am

Roodegar wrote: the up and down buttons are used for previous and next track vs. the left and right buttons like in session view. I feel this is a bit counter intuitive...
I understand that on the computer monitor the tracks are stacked vertically in arrangement view but isn't the point of this device that I don't look at the monitor so much? I think it should rather follow the Push's display layout.
Hey, many thanks for the feedback!
As you said, this is reflecting how tracks are stacked in Arrangement. It seems more natural to follow that pattern... but not everyone agree with this! ;-)
Unlike using Push in Session view, my goal with this device is not to avoid looking at the monitor, because it's Arrangement so... Its first purpose is to use the mouse less, simplify workflows with the idea that maybe other people than me have a setup with the Push in front of you (eventually a mouse/ external trackpad), and your laptop/computer just behind it. So having access to the most used shortcuts without the need to reach your keyboard/mouse.

Roodegar wrote: I also noticed that only the first 8 tracks are showing in the push's display. In session view I can step through all of them and they move left and right. In arrangement view they don't. I understand this is just a beta version. Is this something that hasn't been fully implemented yet?
Yeah I know, it's always been like that and it's actually the way it is in Session mode too: selecting a track outside of Push's displayed tracks range will not make the "red square" move there.
The good thing is that Push screen will always displays the content from your selection (be it a track or a clip). So lets say your in device mode, even if the bottom part of the screen shows the first 8 track, selecting e.g your 10th track will display this track's devices. And you can still use the Page Left/Right arrow if you really want to display tracks above the first 8.
Roodegar wrote: Another thing is that sometimes the beta stops working and I have to reload it.
Mmmh... it'd be rad if you could determine if there's a repeatable pattern that is causing this.

cheers!

Roodegar

Post by Roodegar » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:34 am

Valiumdupeuple wrote:As you said, this is reflecting how tracks are stacked in Arrangement. It seems more natural to follow that pattern... but not everyone agree with this! ;-)
Unlike using Push in Session view, my goal with this device is not to avoid looking at the monitor, because it's Arrangement so... Its first purpose is to use the mouse less, simplify workflows with the idea that maybe other people than me have a setup with the Push in front of you (eventually a mouse/ external trackpad), and your laptop/computer just behind it. So having access to the most used shortcuts without the need to reach your keyboard/mouse.
Thanks for your reply! I see and I agree it makes sense if you are looking at the push as a replacement for mouse and keyboard. I think what tripped me up a bit was that I often make adjustments to the levels and pans and when I only look at the push's display for that I have to reorient myself when switching between session and arrangement views and using the arrow buttons. But I guess I'll be able to adjust and I'm glad I can use those now in arrangement view.
Valiumdupeuple wrote:Yeah I know, it's always been like that and it's actually the way it is in Session mode too: selecting a track outside of Push's displayed tracks range will not make the "red square" move there.
The good thing is that Push screen will always displays the content from your selection (be it a track or a clip). So lets say your in device mode, even if the bottom part of the screen shows the first 8 track, selecting e.g your 10th track will display this track's devices. And you can still use the Page Left/Right arrow if you really want to display tracks above the first 8.
You are correct, Push doesn't follow the selection I make when selecting a track in Ableton's session view that's not shown on Push's display. But what I was referring to here was when I make the selection on the Push itself by using the arrow keys in mix mode. For example I'm in mix mode in session view and I use the arrow keys to step all the way to the right beyond the first 8 tracks, Push's display will follow, move the tracks to the left and show me the tracks above 8. When I do the same thing in arrangement view however Push's display doesn't do the same thing. It's stuck at the initial 8 tracks. Like you said it works in device mode but it doesn't follow in mix mode. Is there a reason for it?
Roodegar wrote: Another thing is that sometimes the beta stops working and I have to reload it.
Valiumdupeuple wrote:Mmmh... it'd be rad if you could determine if there's a repeatable pattern that is causing this.
I haven't detected a pattern yet but will let you know when I do.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 am

And v2 is here!!
The main new feature is that you now have the most used editing and navigating keyboard shortcuts mapped on Push.
My BiP (bounce in place) device is also built-in, and many more handy stuff to improve your workflow.
Check it here!

v1 users should have receive the free update automatically by email from Gumroad. Check your spams if you don't find it, or PM me if you didn't receive anything.

frabo

Post by frabo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:35 am

Hi,
I'm interested in this, but it would be cool to have this, before I grab it:

"detailed user guide, a visual mapping chart and device GUI chart"

Thanks

;-)