Videos of Push actually being played like an instrument

Discuss Push with other users.
BoddAH

Videos of Push actually being played like an instrument

Post by BoddAH » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:53 am

So Push is marvellously integrated with Live, pretty flexible and powerful. Overall, it's the best MIDI controller for Live you could get and it shows on all the videos and tutorials you can find on the Ableton website, YouTube and other sources.

What makes me wonder, however, is the seeming lack of people actually playing Push like a real instrument. Be it just for fun or for practice to better master the device.

I have seen plenty of videos of people jumping back and forth between Session View and Note View, mixing tracks, tweaking devices and inputing a few triad chords or 6 note melodies along the way. I'm not talking about that however. I am talking about people playing classical pieces of music. I mean, Push has a good 4 or 5 octave range at any given time, note velocity and even aftertouch, notes laid out in scales or chromatically if needed for accidentals, etc. Push even has a sustain pedal input and could be used as an actual piano on paper yet all I'm ever seeing being made are some minimal techno bass lines and chord sequences and step sequenced beats.

Just curious. Do you feel Push has actually limited potential at being played like an actual musical instrument? Are the pads somehow not expressive enough or awkward to play on? Is the inherent latency somehow killing any attempt at virtuosity or are the kind of people playing (using ?) Push just not interested in conventional musicianship? 8)

Fossiel

Re: Videos of Push actually being played like an instrument

Post by Fossiel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:33 am

The limited octave range sucks if you want to play it like a real instrument. It is godly for getting your inspiration into your DAW tho.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:01 am

BoddAH wrote:or are the kind of people playing (using ?) Push just not interested in conventional musicianship? 8)
There is your answer methinks.
I say that without malice, as I'm myself one of them.

Another idea could be that the ones playing it like a classical instrument, are just not the type to make youtube videos.
I for example, am pretty proficient with it (in the non-classical sense), but see no need to film myself and brag to the world about it.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:38 pm

This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8an-dKtqpUs

I don't think this dude could be any more wholesome if he tried haha

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:39 pm

maybe push is for making stuff that you could never dream of playing classicly, thats its value as ann instrumnt
Last edited by NoSonic822 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:20 pm

As someone who dabbles in classic piano, I would have absolutely no interest in using the Push to play any classical pieces. The feel, touch, etc. is so different from an actual piano, not to mention having the actual keys there and just "knowing" the hand positioning on a piano vs just air between the pads would make it pretty tough to do on a Push IMO.

Now, I do use Push to sketch out musical ideas and jam along to a song for further ideas. But playing it full on for something other than chord progressions/simple melodies...I'll use either my digital piano or controller for that.

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Inversoundzzz wrote:maybe push is for making stuff that you could never dream of playing classicly, thats its value as ann instrumnt

I get that the workflow enables new creative exploration but that's beside the point. I just wanted to know if Push actually HAS the potential to be played expressively and with virtuosity in the right hands and with many months/years of practice. Knowing this could be important for potential buyers and inspiring for users wanting to take it to the next level.

Classical music isn't the main factor here by the way. A nice ragtime, speed metal or video game theme cover would be fine as well really. Anything relatively technical that demonstrates the capabilities of Push as an expressive instrument. Some nice videos in this thread definitely seem to be proving this. Keep them coming!

markwphoto

Post by markwphoto » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:09 am

Daniel_S wrote:This.

First time I think I've ever been called "wholesome." My wife and friends may certainly think otherwise. :D
BoddAH wrote:
Inversoundzzz wrote:maybe push is for making stuff that you could never dream of playing classicly, thats its value as ann instrumnt

I get that the workflow enables new creative exploration but that's beside the point. I just wanted to know if Push actually HAS the potential to be played expressively and with virtuosity in the right hands and with many months/years of practice. Knowing this could be important for potential buyers and inspiring for users wanting to take it to the next level.

Classical music isn't the main factor here by the way. A nice ragtime, speed metal or video game theme cover would be fine as well really. Anything relatively technical that demonstrates the capabilities of Push as an expressive instrument. Some nice videos in this thread definitely seem to be proving this. Keep them coming!
After using Push for a while I think it certainly has much potential to be played like an instrument. As with any instrument, if you want to get good at it you have to practice! For the little that I've done on Push I've found there's a lot that's easier to play on push than a traditional keyboard because the ease of being able to move from chord to chord or note to note due to the keyboard grid pattern. I do realize for some things a traditional keyboard can't be beat. The more I use Push the more comfortable I get with it and I find myself using it more than my keyboard and it's a lot more portable!

Cheers!

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:17 pm

markwphoto wrote: After using Push for a while I think it certainly has much potential to be played like an instrument. As with any instrument, if you want to get good at it you have to practice! For the little that I've done on Push I've found there's a lot that's easier to play on push than a traditional keyboard because the ease of being able to move from chord to chord or note to note due to the keyboard grid pattern. I do realize for some things a traditional keyboard can't be beat. The more I use Push the more comfortable I get with it and I find myself using it more than my keyboard and it's a lot more portable!

Cheers!
This is really great to hear. I think your expressive playing definitely shows that Push has some potential as a real instrument.

Obviously every instrument is different. A trombone is terrible at playing quick arpeggios (not to mention it is monophonic), a piano isn’t nearly as expressive on long, sustained notes as, say a violin, etc.

Every instrument has its strengths and weaknesses and that’s kind of what makes playing them interesting. Push is no different. It seems to have its very own strengths and weaknesses compared to traditional keyboards but it looks like it definitely CAN be played like a real, expressive instrument.

Not to mention it has awesome control over Live. I’m sold and I guess it’s definitely worth it to keep practicing. :mrgreen:

login

Post by login » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Yes Push has some potential to be used. Developing hand possition is a most since sometimes you are driven to make some akward posittions so its about spending time to develop a healthy technique.

Also using it a lot to break the pad sensitivity even, I found the apds a little bit stiff at first and i ahve not quite reached an equal response from all pads.

Ryder17

Post by Ryder17 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Daniel_S wrote:This.

Unlike his cousin, the fresh prince.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:05 am

after having push for about two weeks now, it's really underwelming me,,,,as an instrument no i dont think this works like that...except to bang out melodies that a monkey could

login

Post by login » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:after having push for about two weeks now, it's really underwelming me,,,,as an instrument no i dont think this works like that...except to bang out melodies that a monkey could
Same experience with the piano here, it took years.

Really any musiciand know that being good with an instruments takes years, why it would be different with push?