Push and crazy time signatures

Discuss Push with other users.
Piplodocus

Push and crazy time signatures

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am

Hello! I'm thinking of buying a push. Can someone explain how the step sequencer part works with things other than 4/4 (video would be great if you're bored). Does 6/8 use 6 per row? Or 6 then 2, plus 4 on the next line, another 4, and the 5th/6th on the next line etc. How about 7/8 or 5/4 (if not the same as 6/8).

Also how mental can it handle? Can it do 29/8? I'm not being facetious here, it's the only sensible way to get live to loop 7/8+7/8+7/8+4/4 phrases. (And they had to put a bug fix in L9 for my benefit to fix that as changing between 29/8 and 6/8 scenes used to crash live, hence my worry). Even if I don't use it to program in such mental timings I still definitely don't want live/push to crash if I open sets in mad timings!

Cheers for any info!
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Fossiel

Re: Push and crazy time signatures

Post by Fossiel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am

You can use triplets, with 6/8 pads used per row.

Funky phrases, never tried it... but i guess you can achieve it with launching different type of loops in session view.

Fossiel

Post by Fossiel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 am

Btw, do you have a soundcloud example or anything? I'm curious how annoying it sounds :p

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Fossiel wrote:Btw, do you have a soundcloud example or anything? I'm curious how annoying it sounds :p
Don't have any 29/8 uploaded at the moment, but as an example the verse and guitar solo of this is programmed 21/8 (3x 5/8, with 6/8 every 4th bar). Main riff is good old fashioned 6/8. I do the changes with time sig automation in the scene launch. Hence programming the bars as separate 5/8 and 6/8 means you can't loop the phrase without having to switch scenes all the time which is a PITA, hence big weird bar compound signature.

https://soundcloud.com/elviswhistlehoof ... emo-5-4-14

Very demo-y. The most annoying part is me singing sketchy rough parts, not any crazy timings! :) But, same applies, can push handle 21/8 as well as 29/8. Get your dancing legs round that!

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Ah-ha, here ya go, my "Diplodocus Jive" in 29/8! Another W.I.P., but it's undeniably wonky-funk:

https://soundcloud.com/elviswhistlehoof/diplodocus-jive

Gotta throw in that extra quaver or a drummer might get complacent and fall asleep just playing in 7/8 constantly. :D

Some would say too much acid. Some would say I've always been like this...

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Fossiel wrote:You can use triplets, with 6/8 pads used per row.
Just re-reading this: do you mean it does 6x 8th beats per row, starting the new bar on a new line each time (i.e. 2 spare buttons on the end of each row)?

If you do 16th notes in 6/8 does it do the 12 notes as 6 per row (with 2 spare pads per row), or 2x row-and-a-halfs (with 4 spare pads on every other row)? Or continuous 2 bars i.e. 24x 16th beats, with 8 spare buttons on the end per "page"? Or continuous 2 + 2/3rd bars per step sequencer "page" (the least user friendly method).

Also, is this still valid or has a firmware update made it better: https://www.ableton.com/answers/push-ti ... -metronome

This thing could be the product of my dreams for songwriting. It could equally be the most annoying thing I've ever bought if it is only really thought out for 4/4 players. If I blow £400 on something that is only fun in 4/4 it's gonna get old pretty fast. Even if 29/8 is still mildly painful, it's gotta at least handle some straight 6/8, 5/8 or 7/8 for me.