Push's greatest fall

Discuss Push with other users.
lowenbek

Push's greatest fall

Post by lowenbek » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:34 pm

ehy guys, I've been using ableton push for the last 6 months, i love it and i think it is a great controller, but in my opinion the fact that it does not allow me to preview sounds and drums directly Through the push's nobs, (like machine does) is really a big fall honestly. i know many people and myself too who are thinking to switch to machine exactly for this reason...it completely stops the flow of music production especially when you don t have a specific pattern in mind. i Just hope this terrific team is :x gonna fix this issue soon with some sort of update! I would invite anybody who agrees on the topic to say something in order to raise awareness, thanks
: :wink:

login

Re: Push's greatest fall

Post by login » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:01 pm

Well thats for you, honesly I am designing sounds and using the same drum hits in my 128's drum racks so it's not a problem for me.

For tme the greatest shorcomings are:

1.- The touch strip can't be used as mod wheel.
2.- No control over drum rack mixer.
3.- No clip loading.

ash1

Post by ash1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm

pxt live or pxt live plus for touch strip mod wheel
push is the best controller for live bar none

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:59 am

ash1 wrote:pxt live or pxt live plus for touch strip mod wheel
And for DrumRack mixer controls!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:51 pm

While previewing sounds could be useful I think browsing sounds in that way could really slow down your workflow. For me using Push is about laying down ideas extremely fast. I have 128's of Kicks, snares, hats, and even some bass sounds, etc.. ready to be loaded from the Push controller. From there I load them and turn the sample select knob whilst hitting the pad or letting the MIDI I already wrote play back. It's really fast and got me over the want to preview sounds from the Push controller; I don't even think about it anymore.

Every time I think that I wish the Push controller could do something else I think about the application and whether or not it would be faster than just looking at the computer and using the mouse. Most of the time the answer is no. It's funny because usually I'm all about having the most features possible. In the case of Push I'm actually pretty happy with how it is and in the rare case I want to do something else, PXT Live Plus has it covered.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:07 pm

push staying on task and not changing focus when I use another controller

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:40 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:push staying on task and not changing focus when I use another controller
+1000

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree that there are some shortcomings. It is a tool that wasn't really an option before it existed, and now it has the imagined potential, and the real functioning thing with some ideas not implemented, or other concepts being flat out intrusive on workflow.

I do commend them on taking the massive step in shifting Live's functionality around for it to have the ability to implement the new ideas that Push and Touchable take advantage of.

I wonder if they are tightening Live itself up some more before fiddling with more Push functionality.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:34 pm

I wonder how difficult it would be to make two (or more) focuses possible.

Would it be as easy as just doubling (not literaly) the code for the blue hand and give it a different "color".

The first device gets connected: blue hand
Second device gets connected: green hand
etc.

Seems not so difficult to me.
What's the hold up?!

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 pm

TomViolenz wrote: What's the hold up?!
How shall the programm know which controller wants to control the blue hand and which one the green hand?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:48 pm

Timbeaux wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: What's the hold up?!
How shall the programm know which controller wants to control the blue hand and which one the green hand?

I think that's a solved issue. You can already lock a specific control surface to a Live device.

So some sort of identification already takes place.

Asymmetricalmusic

Post by Asymmetricalmusic » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Has anyone ever got the lock to control surface feature to work?

I've only ever tried with Push and it was a "FAIL"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:17 am

lowenbek wrote: it does not allow me to preview sounds and drums directly Through the push's nobs, (like machine does)
I'd love this. However, isn't this a limitation in Live itself? For NI Komplete I got AudioModder VST Bridge for Push but that only helps for presets, which I only use as starting points, if at all.

I've also noticed that choosing a Komplete VST sound and loading it takes longer from Push than from the Live browser. That's just not acceptable, but I'm not sure if it's the package or Push. I feel Push as it slows down too often, apparently waiting for processes to finish. Despite this — after all I don't browse a lot for presets and make use of 128s in Sampler — I love Push and I dislike Maschine. I will never use it as I hate the stupid interface. Funne enough I love most other NI stuff (Reaktor, Absynth, Razor), but I really try and use as much of the Live and Push interfaces as possible.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:20 am

TomViolenz wrote: DrumRack mixer controls!
Important, yes. But it should be possible to map some controls, no? User area? I might look into this as I'm moving everything to Drum Racks.

Ableton is underselling drum racks. I love Drum Racks. but I know users that after several years haven't got a clue why they're so good.
Make some music!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:20 am

Asymmetricalmusic wrote:Has anyone ever got the lock to control surface feature to work?

I've only ever tried with Push and it was a "FAIL"
Of course, and it works with Push too. What do you mean with it was a "Fail"?!