Any success with oktopush?

Discuss Push with other users.
S4racen

Re: Any success with oktopush?

Post by S4racen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 am

TomViolenz wrote:
19oclock wrote: I don't believe anyone should need to use 64-bit as a solution to memory demands. When that caveat arises that one should reexamine their code. We're processing audio and running music controllers. This is lightweight stuff.
Lol, that must be why I worked so hard to finally upgrade to a quad i7 with 16gigs of RAM :lol:
I would put that on ebay and get yourself a notebook instead...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:11 pm

S4racen wrote:Thanks for your 2 Cts, really appreciate it, however as you can see from the majority of Ableton Max4Live devices and instruments in their store they are all generally high CPU usage so it goes with the territory of Max4Live...

I'm always looking for ways to reduce code, however when it comes to Live objects that are required either to store data or be MIDI mapped there's limited workarounds...

Ableton itself can struggle with the limitations on RAM at 32bit, the oft reported out of memory error has seemingly stopped since the move to 64bit, things progress so maybe you should look forwards ;-)

Cheers
D
If they are using resources that much then they are doing it wrong. M4L is usable in a fashion that doesn't demand 64bit architecture. I mean, I gig with sets using 100+ full length song clips, about 30 one shot and looped clips, sends, returns, and MIDI controllers. I'll run four to six decks simultaneously. These things are all combined with my software layer on top of Ableton to manage it all. I think Ableton touches 15% CPU usage just barely. This is on an i5 Thinkpad from a couple of years ago using 32-Bit Windows 7.

M4L needs some serious help in terms of approach, especially if the general response is "buy better hardware." How about we encourage better code? More than one patcher to me means that I am doing something terribly, terribly wrong in terms of software design.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:00 pm

With every iteration of our devices we improve the code, i'll gladly take feedback and have done from educated professors who teach on the subject...

If you've got something constructive to offer i'm all ears...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:31 am

S4racen wrote:With every iteration of our devices we improve the code, i'll gladly take feedback and have done from educated professors who teach on the subject...

If you've got something constructive to offer i'm all ears...

Cheers
D
Use one patcher and custom objects.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:22 am

Not possible, thanks anyway...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:28 am

S4racen wrote:Not possible, thanks anyway...

Cheers
D
Very possible. Definitely the way to go in my humble opinion. Sadly, not many examples out in the wild, but resources are out there.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 am

19oclock wrote:

Cheers
D
Very possible. Definitely the way to go in my humble opinion.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 am

19oclock wrote:

Cheers
D
Very possible. Definitely the way to go in my humble opinion. Sadly, not many examples out in the wild, but resources are out there.
Well there may be a reason for that, i'm happy to learn everyday so if you can post links to any examples then i'll happily look at them.

I do however think you're commenting on something you haven't grasped the complexity of...

Perhaps we can leave this thread here on the original subject and you can start a new one in the forum for this subject that more people will contribute to...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:59 pm

We can leave this be. I responded because the issue of crashes came up and I know that was (is? I'll have to scope out the newest version) a very real issue with the Isotonik templates for the APC40 and those are/were massive kludges in their own right. I haven't seen the code for the Oktopush, but coming from the same shop I'm assuming it's suffering the same problems.

Once the holidays are over I'm gonna release the code for my MKii template that should hopefully give an idea of how to use M4L more efficiently. I feel I've grasped the complexity sufficiently. I'm a modest programmer but this stuff is easy to do. The custom object stuff is right there in the C74 manuals, after all. It's just not used much.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 pm

19oclock wrote:We can leave this be. I responded because the issue of crashes came up and I know that was (is? I'll have to scope out the newest version) a very real issue with the Isotonik templates for the APC40 and those are/were massive kludges in their own right. I haven't seen the code for the Oktopush, but coming from the same shop I'm assuming it's suffering the same problems.

Once the holidays are over I'm gonna release the code for my MKii template that should hopefully give an idea of how to use M4L more efficiently. I feel I've grasped the complexity sufficiently. I'm a modest programmer but this stuff is easy to do. The custom object stuff is right there in the C74 manuals, after all. It's just not used much.
The APC40 MKI was built before max4live so comparing what you can do with the MKII is really like comparing a Ford Model T with a Buggati... I've been building devices for controllers for the last five years so i'd like to think i know what i'm doing, especially when the controller and remote script requires workarounds that no one else has even figured out yet, a few have copied stuff but then i see that as a form of flattery....

The Oktopush code is based on the latest way of working with Abletons Lives API so is a wholly different best entirely...

I look forward to seeing your MKII template, ours will be available shortly after no doubt...

Cheers
D

19oclock

Post by 19oclock » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:07 am

S4racen wrote: The APC40 MKI was built before max4live so comparing what you can do with the MKII is really like comparing a Ford Model T with a Buggati...
I've programmed for both and this just appears incorrect to me. Both are massively similar. It took me maybe a few hours to port my old code to the MKII. It was hilariously easy to accomplish.
S4racen wrote: I've been building devices for controllers for the last five years so i'd like to think i know what i'm doing, especially when the controller and remote script requires workarounds that no one else has even figured out yet, a few have copied stuff but then i see that as a form of flattery....
Have you performed with any of them? Because Isotonik on the MKI was a liability more than anything. I was psyched at first because it added functionality to the APC40 that I needed. After crashing, hogging resources, advertisements, and erratic behavior I had to move on. Both desktop and laptop showed similar issues. It sounds like users in this thread are having similar issues with Oktopush.
S4racen wrote: I look forward to seeing your MKII template, ours will be available shortly after no doubt...
My template has been out since October (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eizM4qWioBQ). Going to be releasing it open-sourced and for free pretty quick.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 am

19oclock wrote:
I've programmed for both and this just appears incorrect to me. Both are massively similar. It took me maybe a few hours to port my old code to the MKII. It was hilariously easy to accomplish.

Have you performed with any of them? Because Isotonik on the MKI was a liability more than anything. I was psyched at first because it added functionality to the APC40 that I needed. After crashing, hogging resources, advertisements, and erratic behavior I had to move on. Both desktop and laptop showed similar issues. It sounds like users in this thread are having similar issues with Oktopush.

My template has been out since October. Going to be releasing it open-sourced and for free pretty quick.
I'm glad you found the transition so easy, a few hours to port across is impressive...

Yes i've performed regularly with Isotonik, and have a few thousand other people who have as well....

Advertisement pops up on the first use for the Follow device we included for free, you can close the window or delete the Device, as you seem so accomplished you could've just opened the device and deleted the pop up window, if you're a user that didt want to get into the code we even included a "Don't show again" button....

As i've said before in emails, good luck with your template! I'll concentrate on supporting my subscribers....

Cheers
D

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:36 pm

As promised the next version of Oktopush is focused around the Utility nature of the Button Matrix and Encoders Editors...

It is one device that can be dropped into any template and configured to your choosing without the need for following the routing set up of the full Oktopush Performance template....

Here is the new Button Matrix Editor, i've massively reduced the number of objects in it which has seen the RAM usage drop below 2.5GB on my system....

Accessing the two banks available is by pressing Select + Note or Session, switching out is Select + Shift, this means it's a simple one handed action to switch between banks....

It retains the ability to have dynamic mappings that follow the Ring Focus Box (Red Box) of the Push...

And gives four options for Button Behaviour, this version adds Toggle + Velocity as an option...

And finally allows a choice of LED feedback allowing for different visual feedback on the Push...

The Encoders Editor has also been updated allowing up to six banks of Mappings with the use of the Select and Encoder Mode buttons (Volume, Pan & Send etc)

After some further testing i'm anticipating to have this released in the first week of the new year along with a walk through video and updated manual....

Cheers
D

snappyass

Post by snappyass » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:40 pm

:D works like a charm