Fixed Length recording starts off-measure

Discuss Push with other users.
Zyko1

Re: Fixed Length recording starts off-measure

Post by Zyko1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:42 am

Confirming here, fixed-length-recording is broken. Unusable in this way. Ableton should really address this.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:10 am

Zyko1 wrote:Confirming here, fixed-length-recording is broken. Unusable in this way. Ableton should really address this.
If they are going to be able to do that it's good if the issue can be reproducible. Have you sent a detailed report? Are you doing everything exactly like the OP joeyfivecents? I've yet to encounter this myself, but I might do something different or miss some set up aspect leading up to this problem.

Sometimes there are intermittent problems, like for instance the window auto-scroll bug that seems to be gone since 9.2. I've sent both videos and test cases for that to Ableton and it was hard for both me and Support to actually get the issue to occur.
Make some music!

Zyko1

Post by Zyko1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:47 am

I will make a video if possible, or atleast a detailed listing of steps to show it. But i am too busy on the weekend as it seems, so it will take some time to do that.

I never really used the fixed-length-rec before, but i tried it out during the last jam-session as it would be easier to not have to press "stop record", which i usually miss pressing on time and therefore i end up with an empty bar at the end of the clip.

anyway, i will post as soon as possible. would really love to use this feature!

blobbyghast

Post by blobbyghast » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Hey guys, has this been fixed with the new update? I saw something about Fixed Length, but haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:48 am

It works now I would expect it to work. If I am playing and tap record, it'll record what I'm doing and loop back at the set # of bars.

It'll make the bar start in the context of the track. So, it won't try to make the clip start when you hit fixed length, but instead it'll trigger the clip where the first beat of the accompanying music was when you started recording.

I'll play with it some more. Been pretty busy.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:00 pm

yur2die4 wrote:It works now [as] I would expect it to work. If I am playing and tap record, it'll record what I'm doing and loop back at the set # of bars.

It'll make the bar start in the context of the track. So, it won't try to make the clip start when you hit fixed length, but instead it'll trigger the clip where the first beat of the accompanying music was when you started recording.

I'll play with it some more. Been pretty busy.
So do everyone agree this is now fixed?
Make some music!

KaCeTheProducer

Post by KaCeTheProducer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:03 pm

Here to confirm, at least for me it's not working.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Did any of the suggestions here help?

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=223660
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

KaCeTheProducer

Post by KaCeTheProducer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:24 pm

I had this exact problem (as referenced in the above post).

My fix was to reset to a default template, apparently something was wrong with my old one even though the settings looked perfectly fine. However I DID make it while using the beta, that may have been the culprit. Everything is working 100% fine now, fixed length or no.

cmprvndncr

Post by cmprvndncr » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:57 am

Hey pals, I might be way OT, but I had an issue that sounds similar to this, I was recording vocal loops to clips, then duplicating the track and recording a harmony ad infinitum, and basically the loop was not starting at the start, but later... And I figured out that my issues was being caused by the loop brace being active in the arrangement, even though I was doing nothing in the arrangement...

Like I said, I might be misunderstanding, but my search brought me here, so someone with the same issue might be brought here, so I thought I'd post this cause it fixed my problem... ie. just switch off the loop brace in arrange (changing the start / end points of the arrange loop brace could also fix it, as I think I had mine set to start mid bar or something cause of an earlier play in arrangement view.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:15 am

cmprvndncr wrote: Like I said, I might be misunderstanding, but my search brought me here, so someone with the same issue might be brought here, so I thought I'd post this cause it fixed my problem... ie. just switch off the loop brace in arrange (changing the start / end points of the arrange loop brace could also fix it, as I think I had mine set to start mid bar or something cause of an earlier play in arrangement view.
Yes that, moved clips moving the start point, is one of the gotchas of Live usage,
Make some music!