How do you switch to a different clip without activating it?

Discuss Push with other users.
Rhypht

How do you switch to a different clip without activating it?

Post by Rhypht » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:03 pm

I can't seem to view a clip in Push's Note Mode without it firing the entire scene that the clip is in.

I want to be able to have a set of clips playing, then make Push look at a clip from a different scene, manually edit it with the step sequencer so it produces no sound, and then be able to fire that clip off when I want.

Rhypht

Re: How do you switch to a different clip without activating it?

Post by Rhypht » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:26 pm

I found two in Launch preferences. Select on Launch, and Select Next Scene on Launch. Only the latter was on, and I switched it off. Still having the same problem.

There should be a preference that's the opposite of that, like "Launch on Selection" but I can't find anything like it.

Just to clarify, I want to be able to select a different clip in a track using the arrow keys in note mode without having them fire every scene that I scroll to. If there's another method of viewing clips that works this way, let me know as I'm not familiar with it.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I think on Push if you hold down the User button you can choose different workflows. One is a little easier to use as it doesn't create/launch whole new scenes, but it still launches the channel you are currently on.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:56 am

Rhypht wrote:

Just to clarify, I want to be able to select a different clip in a track using the arrow keys in note mode without having them fire every scene that I scroll to. If there's another method of viewing clips that works this way, let me know as I'm not familiar with it.
You could quickly enter session mode, hold select and choose the clip you want to edit/look at by pressing its pad, and then go back to note mode/sequencer. You can now edit notes manually of this clip without it playing.

If you hold down the USER button, you can choose clip workflow as well, which will only fire off the next clip of a scene and not the whole scene when using the arrows.

Rhypht

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:57 pm

tedlogan wrote:
Rhypht wrote:

You could quickly enter session mode, hold select and choose the clip you want to edit/look at by pressing its pad, and then go back to note mode/sequencer. You can now edit notes manually of this clip without it playing.

If you hold down the USER button, you can choose clip workflow as well, which will only fire off the next clip of a scene and not the whole scene when using the arrows.
The first solution is what I was looking for, thank you. The alternative workmode still wouldn't work for me, because it'd still fire the clip, when I want it to be silent. Thanks for the info though!

As an afterthought though, do those two workflow modes change anything other than the arrow keys firing scenes or clips?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Rhypht wrote:
tedlogan wrote:
Rhypht wrote:

The first solution is what I was looking for, thank you. The alternative workmode still wouldn't work for me, because it'd still fire the clip, when I want it to be silent. Thanks for the info though!

As an afterthought though, do those two workflow modes change anything other than the arrow keys firing scenes or clips?
Glad it's working out.

Yup, I know the second bit I wrote would not work for what you want, I just thought I'd add to the other posters' info about User mode.

About the afterthought:

It also changes what happens when you press NEW. When pressing it, instead of creating a whole new scene with all the current playing clips copied alongside the new one you're recording into, it only creates a new clip.

Rhypht

Post by Rhypht » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:35 pm

tedlogan wrote:About the afterthought:

It also changes what happens when you press NEW. When pressing it, instead of creating a whole new scene with all the current playing clips copied alongside the new one you're recording into, it only creates a new clip.
Thanks for the info. That actually makes a lot more sense now, I figured there was a way to New work that way.

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:17 pm

In session mode if you hold down select while pressing a clip button it will switch to the clip without activating it.

This appears to work regardless of if you are in either scene or clip workflow

hope this helps,
jda