How do you clean your Push?

Come here to discuss Push with other users.
For tech support, please head to http://www.ableton.com/help
Rhypht
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 pm

How do you clean your Push?

Post by Rhypht » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:03 pm

I know that there is actually official instructions on this topic, but they don't really go into detail with things like dust and stuff.

Is it safe to use compressed air on Push? The pads are really good at holding things like dust and fuzz particles and little hairs (my cat also uses my Push from time to time) and I feel like compressed air would do a good job of getting it all off. Then again, it could just blow it down into the crack between the pads and the chassis, which would seemingly just make things worse.

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by BoddAH » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:31 pm

I bought an acrylic paint brush (unused, obviously) and never looked back. I’m pretty anal about taking care of my stuff and I assure you that it doesn’t even create micro-scratches. My Push literally looks like new one year after buying it.

Image

I would also avoid Decksavers and other plastic covers to protect Push from dust as they actually scratch the sides and do more harm than good INHO. Just get a nice microfiber cloth roughly the size of Push in a color you like and cover the thing every time you’re done. :mrgreen:

Rhypht
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Rhypht » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:38 pm

BoddAH wrote:I bought an acrylic paint brush (unused, obviously) and never looked back. I’m pretty anal about taking care of my stuff and I assure you that it doesn’t even create micro-scratches. My Push literally looks like new one year after buying it.

Image

I would also avoid Decksavers and other plastic covers to protect Push from dust as they actually scratch the sides and do more harm than good INHO. Just get a nice microfiber cloth roughly the size of Push in a color you like and cover the thing every time you’re done. :mrgreen:
Wow, so the acrylic brush works that well, huh? I'll definitely have to try that out.

I planned on grabbing a microfiber cloth for it as well, but I don't know of a place around me that sells them large enough to cover Push, and the only sites that I'm aware of only sell them in bulk quantities.

Guess I've got some more searching to do :wink:

Greeny1321
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Greeny1321 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:11 pm

paintbrush, and any little marks get a quick once over with a baby wipe when its turned off.

Airyck
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Airyck » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:59 pm

I'm a big pusher of the paint brush method as well. If you slack on dusting with the paintbrush or something less brush-able gets on it you can use a lint free cloth and some Windex (glass cleaner). Just spray the Windex on the cloth and then wipe the spots that need the extra help. Windex wont damage screen printing on the buttons and works well at getting most everything off. You spray it on the cloth instead of the push to keep it from running down inside but it evaporates quickly too. Then brush it with the paint brush to get any lint or fibers from the cloth off, it'll look like new all the time. 8)
http://www.soundcloud.com/airyck-sterrett
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 7 & 8 /
2016 Macbook Pro 15"
Too much hardware to list

irrelevance
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by irrelevance » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm

The most important studio investment this year is my 70c pink feather duster. :oops:

Decksaver
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:26 am

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Decksaver » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:05 am

Our Push 2 cover is now available for all your dust resisting needs - http://www.decksaver.com/covers/produce ... sh-2-cover

Guillermo Barrancos
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:05 am

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 pm

Decksaver wrote:Our Push 2 cover is now available for all your dust resisting needs - http://www.decksaver.com/covers/produce ... sh-2-cover
For that price for a piece of plastic. Not interested. Sorry.

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by BoddAH » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:20 pm

Airyck wrote:If you slack on dusting with the paintbrush or something less brush-able gets on it you can use a lint free cloth
A microfiber cloth also works well as a dust cover for Push or other gear in my experience. They come in all shapes and sizes.

Also they usually don't cost $45 without shipping and damage the rubber coating of your Push. :evil:

ObtuseMoose
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:51 am

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by ObtuseMoose » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm

I just duct-tape it to the side of my car and take it to one of those drive-thru automatic car wash places. Gets even stubborn stains out and always comes out squeaky clean. ;-)

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

störgeräusche
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by störgeräusche » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:36 pm

ObtuseMoose wrote:I just duct-tape it to the side of my car and take it to one of those drive-thru automatic car wash places. Gets even stubborn stains out and always comes out squeaky clean. ;-)

--
Moose
i wish i could to that... played a gig in the smoking room of a club here in switzerland on saturday and as expected the rubber of push 1 smells like 1000 ashtrays. happy to have push 2 in the studio and push 1 in the gig bag :)
soundcloud
website
______________________________________________________
Win7 Pro 64 - i7 870 @ 2.93 GHz - 16 GB RAM - RME Multiface II

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

Bdumaguina
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Bdumaguina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm

I have a 3 year old Push 1 that's starting to be sticky all over the place except the buttons, pads and knobs. Anyone else experiencing this? Also, how to go about cleaning it? Thanks.

BoddAH
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by BoddAH » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:16 pm

biped wrote:I have a 3 year old Push 1 that's starting to be sticky all over the place except the buttons, pads and knobs. Anyone else experiencing this? Also, how to go about cleaning it? Thanks.
I would avoid any kind of chemicals as they can damage the surface especially rubber or plastics. The best you can probably do is use a cotton or microfiber cloth, soak it in water and wrench it out very thoroughly until it is barely wet.

(Very) slightly humid cloth is pretty much standard procedure to clean electronics and even mentioned in most manuals. Just make sure it’s only barely wet and doesn’t leak drops of water.

Razz CE
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 12:53 am

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by Razz CE » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Decksaver wrote:Our Push 2 cover is now available for all your dust resisting needs - http://www.decksaver.com/covers/produce ... sh-2-cover
For that price for a piece of plastic. Not interested. Sorry.
Honestly, I'd be interested in hearing how they justify $60 for that. I'd consider buying it at like $20. Maybe even $30, though I'd be fully aware of being charged for the value of MY push rather than the value of THEIR product (the old "What is your Push worth to you? Surely 30 bucks to keep it safe and clean...") But this just seems way overboard to me.
Win 10 x64/16GB/i7 6700k
Live 9 Suite/Cubase Pro 9.5
Audient iD4/Push 2/Steinberg CMC-CH/Launchkey 25

jimmynitcher
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: UK

Re: How do you clean your Push?

Post by jimmynitcher » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:27 pm

In the tear down of Push 1 the go bottom to top - I wonder if you can take the top off the buttons and dials to clean it? I have major sticky residue problems and its going to be a very long job with various tools needed to get in between the buttons.

Post Reply