Will NAMM bring us anything new for the push?

Discuss Push with other users.
tedlogan

Re: Will NAMM bring us anything new for the push?

Post by tedlogan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:13 pm

I am one of those asking for updates on Push and posting hopefully-constructive suggestions on the Beta site. I love Push and would like to see it improved, because I love it. I don't think not wanting improvements is helping anything.

I am 95% happy with it and it's by far the best controller I've ever used, very fluid and enjoyable. Pretty too. I've tried operating Live without it, and it feels like I'm missing an arm.

BUT:

-The omission of a modwheel via touchstrip is simply insane, no two ways about it. This is my main gripe.
-The browser forcing you to adopt Ableton's structure and not being able to access my racks and VSTs etc first.
-No clip loading/browsing from Push. I have lots of little ideas stored as clips, and love experimenting with different combinations of loops, as do thousands of others.
-no renaming and proper organising of VST parameters in the configure panel. Navigating any third party setup on Push via sometimes cryptic parameter names of nameless banks is counterproductive.
-other pretty small things I cannot remember now

That said, all of the above is fixed by using a third-party modwheel device and the mouse. When I'm sitting at my workstation, it seems pointless to avoid using the mouse to load clips and drag my racks into tracks from my custom folders in Places.

The very bottom line for me is that it doesn't really matter, I just need to start finishing more tracks instead of posting shit like this. But I would like a native modwheel :)

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 pm

maybe they offer a bag for push and a cover or a stand for it. maybe an additional controller which is hookable to the push.

I would like to have session and clipview in one mode.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Timbeaux wrote: I would like to have session and clipview in one mode.
What do you mean by this exactly, i'm intruiged!

Cheers
D

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:20 pm

I dont know which is better, splitting them horizontal or vertical, but i just need:

4x8 (x-y direction) session mode AND 4x8 notemode

or

8x4 (x-y direction) session mode AND 8x4 notemode.

Uh, i am sorry, i mean notemode and session mode in my post (i just saw it yet...

But my mistake made me think about it. would be nice to have 2 red boxes for one push. one you can move with shift and one without pressing shift. so you could always have a fixed set of clips to launch (dummy clips for automation effects for example)

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:00 pm

Since it seems some of my previous comments were taken the wrong way, I am not saying I am not interested in an update or don't want an update, there are several things I would LIKE them to change its just that a lot of people on these forums seem very entitled and demanding which I don't think is the way to encourage ableton to do anything. As I said before they promised us nothing beyond what it already does so acting like they owe us is not the way to go IN MY OPINION, your opinion may differ and thats fine, we all have one :)

I personally would love it if I could not have abletons own presets show up at all in the browser since I never use any of them anyway and agree totally about the mod wheel too, I bought a mod just to change the pitch bend (which I NEVER use) to mod wheel, it would be great to not need to add another device to make this happen.

At the same time I don't go around demanding this stuff since I already knew of these limitations before I bought into push as would anyone who did a bit of research before buying. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, just the way I see it.

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:03 am

I can immagine a Push xl is created. The lowered the price, the market likes to keep on spending on gear. What about a version that has a deeper integration? You can keep on selling the current push.
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 am

I don't demand anything, and I don't feel I'm entitled to anything at all. Even if I did feel that way, it would be irrelevant.

Constructive suggestions on the beta site. That's the way to go.

Now here is the thing that made me frustrated a little while ago. Ableton's complete silence. Brick wall. Once a year a vague comment about maybe kinda working sorta on stuff.

I honestly am not bothered by these things anymore though, and after checking my pockets, not a single fuck was found to give.

In short, meh.

EDIT: just read this though on the Beta site:

from the Beta site a little while ago:

"sih wrote:

Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback you're writing here (don't think we aint reading it!).

As I stated earlier in this thread, Push development has not been stopped. There is more coming. I can't give away anything specific but there will be new features (not just bugfixes).

Cheers!"

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 am

The problem with stuff like this ted is they say "ok we are working on stuff" and leave it at that and people get mad, but on the other hand they say "Oh yeah we will have this feature by this date" then they cant make the date and people get mad, they cant win.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:15 am

Greeny1321 wrote:The problem with stuff like this ted is they say "ok we are working on stuff" and leave it at that and people get mad, but on the other hand they say "Oh yeah we will have this feature by this date" then they cant make the date and people get mad, they cant win.
Yes, I totally understand that. I do not need specifics though, just a status update really.

Look at a company like u-he. Constantly engaging with customers on the forums, mulling over ideas. Never promising anything, but saying things like "we'll see what we can do" or "that's a good idea but we cannot implement it for reasons X or Y", or "this is coming in the next update probably around February or April ,but if it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out" etc. Or simply like what was posted on the Beta forums this morning - that they are working on upadtes, not just bugfixes. This is all I wanted to know. Just basic communication.

As I said though, it's not a big deal to me anymore, I just wanna sort out my arrangements, and no Push update is gonna improve that.

A splendid day to you sir.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:52 pm

If they don't release a comprehensive Midi editor for it SOON, mine will go to Ebay and the money will be spend on the coming Korg Electribe Sampler.

All the scripts force you into workflows that are never quite exactly how I would want/need it. And for a device that does only parts of what I want it to do, it's too damn expansive and HEAVY!

So for what I want it to do Pushs glass is far from half full atm.

Give me a full Midi editor with individual AT per pad (the device itself would be capable of this!), encoder banks and all the colors (like the Maschine editor) for me to make my perfect perfomance template and I will stay a faithful customer for a l o n g time to come. Otherwise Korg here I come....!

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Another good point Tom the aftertouch is terrible (well not terrible but insanely easy to trigger), I wish I could turn it off, its almost impossible for me to not trigger it (without switching to PXT that is)

Ted, I see your point and it would be nice but I guess from their perpective they already told us they are still working on it and maybe they feel thats all we need to know right now. I could be wrong of course but maybe they don't want to just keep saying "yeah still working on it" maybe they have a super nice suprise coming for us I suppose time will tell.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:28 pm

Greeny1321 wrote: Ted, I see your point and it would be nice but I guess from their perpective they already told us they are still working on it and maybe they feel thats all we need to know right now.
A capitalistic company treating their customers like children....hm, yeah.....that sure sounds like a recipe for success... :roll:

I'm certainly fed up with this silent treatment.

Tell me if I should calculate with Push in the future, because it will deliver what I want/need, or if I should look elsewhere for the workflows I desire.

This non-communicative behavior is just adding insult to insury :x

login

Post by login » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:31 pm

TomViolenz wrote:If they don't release a comprehensive Midi editor for it SOON, mine will go to Ebay and the money will be spend on the coming Korg Electribe Sampler.

All the scripts force you into workflows that are never quite exactly how I would want/need it. And for a device that does only parts of what I want it to do, it's too damn expansive and HEAVY!

So for what I want it to do Pushs glass is far from half full atm.

Give me a full Midi editor with individual AT per pad (the device itself would be capable of this!), encoder banks and all the colors (like the Maschine editor) for me to make my perfect perfomance template and I will stay a faithful customer for a l o n g time to come. Otherwise Korg here I come....!

I think you should sell Push then since the concept is quite far away from that. You knew what it could do, you bought it anyway, you don't like it still. Stop getting frustrated and move on if you are not satisfied.

While I expect some update at some time I really think a MIDI editor would be the last thing they will do.

Greeny1321

Post by Greeny1321 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:58 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Greeny1321 wrote: Ted, I see your point and it would be nice but I guess from their perpective they already told us they are still working on it and maybe they feel thats all we need to know right now.
A capitalistic company treating their customers like children....hm, yeah.....that sure sounds like a recipe for success... :roll:

I'm certainly fed up with this silent treatment.

Tell me if I should calculate with Push in the future, because it will deliver what I want/need, or if I should look elsewhere for the workflows I desire.

This non-communicative behavior is just adding insult to insury :x
This is exactly what I mean, why do they owe you the communication? it does what they told you it would do, you are not satisfied thats all good, its not for everybody but they owe you no communication about future updates, maybe they dont wanna let the cat out of the bag to competitors? ever thought of that? its quite a common thing in the music/daw world. Stomping your feet like a two year old who didn't get the toy he wanted wont change anything so why bother getting frustrated that the product you bought does exactly what they said it would? It makes no sense to me.

Also you surely must realise from the way there are only an handful of people complaining that you are in the minority of their users. I see lots of happy people and a few people complaining that it doesn't do what THEY want it to not that it doesn't do what ableton ADVERTISE it will do. I personally know 5 people who own push all 5 are happy with it sure theres room for improvement but the same can be said for anything.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:50 pm

8O
Wow, you guys must be the reason the term fanboyz was coined...
But go on, protect that company you gave your money to from complaints from those pesky meanies who dare to have some higher standards and expectations than you.

le sigh :roll: