New hack (Mac-only, Alpha): preview samples when browsing

Discuss Push with other users.
tom_d

New hack (Mac-only, Alpha): preview samples when browsing

Post by tom_d » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi all,

Been a while :) but after six months or so of not really touching Push or indeed Ableton, this weekend I got my inspiration back and finished off on an initial version of a hack that I was working on earlier in the year, which I'm grouping under the "Ubermap" project, although it's actually a separate component with some shared libraries.

This hack aims to fix one of the most annoying things I found about Push coming from Maschine: no preview of samples when scrolling through them on the device! I can't believe this still hasn't been added in, so I've taken matters in to my own hands.

This works by intercepting the events when you are browsing on Push, and if the highlighted entry looks like an audio file, and you have told Ubermap where this "place" in the browser lives on disk in the config, it will launch an external (command line, so invisible) audio player to play the highlighted file through the default system speakers (rather than using the native Ableton preview, which I don't think is possible at the minute).

This is a very alpha version - I've seen some instability (Push restarting itself) which may or may not be related to the script (maybe just a dodgy USB cable, and I also see errors form the touchAble script when debugging, so it could equally be that), so if you do try it, make sure it isn't a critical machine, you have backups, and you are willing to reinstall Ableton if needs be (the relevant MIDI Remote files do get backed up when you install, but still). Also note that it is only tested on Mac - it might work on Windows, but you will need to find a command line audio player that works in the same way as afplay (which comes with the Mac) and configure it.

More information is in the README at https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/t ... serPreview.

As with the Devices component of Ubermap, download the master branch from Github as a ZIP file: https://github.com/tomduncalf/ubermap/a ... master.zip and then follow the instructions - please note that this installs separately from the Devices part, so you can pick one or the other, but if you do use both, you should reinstall both, as I have changed some of the shared libraries, so old versions of the Devices component will break if you just install this component.

Hope some of you enjoy having this essential feature back as much as I do ;) I don't intend to spend too much more time on this (as I'm still convinced that Ableton will add it soon!) but do shout if you have any ideas or issues. I'll hopefully have time to make some more improvements to the Ubermap devices script over the next month or so too :)

Cheers,
Tom
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

dna598

Re: New hack (Mac-only, Alpha): preview samples when browsing

Post by dna598 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:47 am

Wow, well done for taking this up.

I am a new owner of Push and also can't believe the missing sundry features such as audition.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

GoodBytes

Post by GoodBytes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 am

I have just ran the install and it looks like this:

Code: Select all

$ install.command ; exit;
Backing up file /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push/BrowserComponent.pyc
cp: ../Common/__init__.py: No such file or directory
cp: ../Common/configobj.py: No such file or directory
cp: ../Common/UbermapLibs.py: No such file or directory
cp: UbermapBrowser.py: No such file or directory
cp: BrowserComponent.py: No such file or directory
Backing up file ../Config/browser.cfg
cp: ../Config/browser.cfg: No such file or directory
Backing up file ../Config/global.cfg
cp: ../Config/global.cfg: No such file or directory
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Ubermap/*.pyc: No such file or directory
Ubermap installed - now restart Ableton Live.
logout

[Process completed]
I won't be able to test it until i get home from work but is that normal?

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:31 am

dna598 wrote:Wow, well done for taking this up.

I am a new owner of Push and also can't believe the missing sundry features such as audition.
Bit crazy isn't it. I know Ableton are actively working on Push, so I'm hoping there will be one "big bang" update that answers all our prayers soon ;)
Ubermap: simple, free bank and parameter remapping for AudioUnit and VST devices for Push and Push 2: http://ubermap.live

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:32 am

GoodBytes wrote:I have just ran the install and it looks like this:
No, looks like it is running from the wrong directory. Did you run this by double clicking, or from Terminal?

I'll take a look and get back to you - to be honest I haven't tested this one thoroughly but was so pleased to have it working I thought I'd share ;)

GoodBytes

Post by GoodBytes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:06 pm

tom_d wrote:
GoodBytes wrote:I have just ran the install and it looks like this:
No, looks like it is running from the wrong directory. Did you run this by double clicking, or from Terminal?

I'll take a look and get back to you - to be honest I haven't tested this one thoroughly but was so pleased to have it working I thought I'd share ;)
This was done by double clicking it.

if i run open install.command it spawns a new window and does the same thing.

if i run ./install.command or sh install.command it seemingly works better:

$ ./install.command
Backing up file ../Config/browser.cfg
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Ubermap/*.pyc: No such file or directory
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push/BrowserComponent.pyc: No such file or directory
I am still at work so unfortunately can't test.

I get the same when running devices:

$ ./install.command
Backing up file ../Config/devices.cfg
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/_Generic/Devices.pyc: No such file or directory
rm: /Applications/Ableton Live 9 Suite.app/Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts/Push/DeviceParameterComponent.pyc: No such file or directory
so i'm guessing it's a problem at my end.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:19 pm

To be honest I've just been installing by running ./install.command from a terminal, maybe I should just update the instructions to say that :) Also at work so I can't check it just now, but let me know if you still have issues later.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:33 pm

I've just pushed a change which should fix double clicking the .command scripts

GoodBytes

Post by GoodBytes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 pm

tom_d wrote:I've just pushed a change which should fix double clicking the .command scripts
Tom, it seems to be working now :) will need to do some more testing but looks OK.

Thanks for the work you have done on this, i've just got my Push and half expected this stuff to be baked right in.

KikeAOR

Post by KikeAOR » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi!

I have tried "Devices" settings on Windows 7 and it works perfectly :)

However, "Browser Preview" doesnt' work for me. I have made all changes included in the install.command file, but after doing that Push doesn't recognize Live.

Could anyone help me with that?. Maybe i have forgotten one step or it needs a little change in settings.... :)

Thanks!.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm

KikeAOR wrote:Hi!

I have tried "Devices" settings on Windows 7 and it works perfectly :)

However, "Browser Preview" doesnt' work for me. I have made all changes included in the install.command file, but after doing that Push doesn't recognize Live.

Could anyone help me with that?. Maybe i have forgotten one step or it needs a little change in settings.... :)

Thanks!.
Hey,

Unfortunately Browser Preview isn't currently set up for Windows. It would need some work from someone comfortable with Windows development tools, as I don't currently have access to a Windows machine - if anyone is interested give me a shout

Thanks,
Tom

GoodBytes

Post by GoodBytes » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Does this work on external hard drives? not sure how to do the path.

tom_d

Post by tom_d » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:27 pm

GoodBytes wrote:Does this work on external hard drives? not sure how to do the path.
Yep should work - path would be like /Volumes/<hard drive name>/whatever

One way to get that path is to open up either a Terminal, or a new TextEdit plain text document (go to Format > Make Plain Text), then drag a file from the external hard drive to it and it'll write the path into the window

alex pardo

Post by alex pardo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

I try it but it seems i'm doing something wrong here
INFO looking for config in cache: devices, timestamp: 1423402559.0
INFO found config in cache: devices, timestamp: 1423402559.0
INFO load config name: Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab, path: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/Devices/Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab.cfg, subdir: Devices
INFO config not found: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/Devices/Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab.cfg
INFO load config name: devices, path: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/devices.cfg, subdir: None
INFO load config name: Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab, path: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/Devices/Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab.cfg, subdir: Devices
INFO config not found: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/Devices/Instrument Rack_8c91f91d9322ef66e1d2dc56c4c69cab.cfg
INFO load config name: devices, path: /Users/alejandropardovazquez/Ubermap/devices.cfg, subdir: None

alex pardo

Post by alex pardo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:05 pm

I try it but it seems i'm doing something wrong here