Push's clip colors do not match those of Ableton's clips.

Discuss Push with other users.
willdahbe

Push's clip colors do not match those of Ableton's clips.

Post by willdahbe » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:10 am

Ok this is really doing me in and would love if someone could help me. Maybe I can go into the script and re-do the colors of Push's clips to match Live's clip colors better? I've tried explaining this to the support team, but Ive brushed off like it's no big deal that the current color matching between Live's and Push's clips are good enough.

The colors Push uses to represent those of the clips in Live are completely off. Blues, purples and pretty much every other color used on Push implemented poorly.

For instance, If you make a yellow clip in Live, it is not exactly yellow on Push. Now if you go to a Drumrack channel on Push, the pads are damn near the same color yellow as should be for a yellow clip in session view. Try it out. Load up a yellow clip in Live, then switch over to a Drumrack and notice that the color is off. The reason this matters so much is that there'ss a decent amount of variants of color for Lives clips and these need to be transferable to Push's Session view with better and more variants that are currently used to represent clip colors.

I feel like I'm just talking in circles about this, but whatever.

The clip colors for blues and purples are horrible as well, along with every other color on Push. There are like only 2 colors on Push used for all the purples in Live. This is damn near the same for blues as well. Again, its possible to get a closer representation on Push than currently implemented for the color purple. If you use the "Seapush" skin on Push and select a Drumrack the purple used for Drumcells is very deep. This same color purple is not used on Push's Session view to represent any color of purple. So this is another shade or variant that is not used for representing a clip from Live.

This goes on for every color and to be honest I think it's just lazy programming from Ableton's part.

Here's a basic reason why updating the current color mapping on Push would be beneficial.
You have a drum channel loaded up with 8 clips, within these 8 clips are the sections of a song.
The first clip would potentially have very little notation going on. This clip could be a light purple.
The second clip would have a bit more notation. This clip could be slightly darker purple.
The third clip would have even more notation. You should get where I'm going with this....

Please compare these images of Lives Clips to Push. It's easy to see how off the color yellow is when looking a clip on Push's Session view then looking at the yellow used for Push's Drumrack Cells. Also, several of the blues and purples use the same exact color on Push.

Also the row of purple clips on Push are actually a bit more pink than in the image shown.

ImageImage

Valiumdupeuple

Re: Push's clip colors do not match those of Ableton's clips.

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:44 pm

This also pisses me off a bit... even though I'm colorblind !

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:24 am

Bump. Nobody else has a problem with this?

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:27 am

The yellow used for the clip colors on Push are not even yellow. Somehow the brown and green clips are more yellow. WTF?!?!?
Last edited by willdahbe on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:28 am

The first clip in the Minibrute track isn't even close to being orange or red-ish on Push. It's fucking pink!

jackalou

Post by jackalou » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:01 pm

I would agree this should addressed as soon as possible.

The ability of the push's pads to represent the colours of the clips in closer detail is obviously there. I don't know much about programming, but id imagine that it would be minor thing to tweak!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:38 am

willdahbe wrote:

The colors Push uses to represent those of the clips in Live are completely off.
Does this discrepancy improve when you're using the power supply?
Make some music!

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm

No, I always use the power cable.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:17 pm

The mix of Red, Green, and Blue brightness levels of Light emitting diodes are controlled by voltage levels, the higher the voltage the brighter that particular color is. This varies during the manufacturing process of LED's, getting the exact mix of colors to match your display is asking quite a bit.

The problem is that it's slightly different on every device, getting close is about the best you can do unless you hand pick and calibrate each individual LED circuit which would probably double the price of the Push controller.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:56 pm

Airlyc, that sound exactly like the response I received from "Support". Obviously you ahve not opened up the script and customized the skin for Push. When you tell a specific mode on Push to be yellow, it is yellow. Not off beige yellowish/brown...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:06 pm

willdahbe wrote:When you tell a specific mode on Push to be yellow, it is yellow. Not off beige yellowish/brown...
You mean you are using words for colors? What values were there before in the originals?
Make some music!

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes, you decompile the python then edit it in a program like Xcode or TextEdit. It looks like this. Image

I can't find the file needed to be edited for clip colors on Push though.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:39 am

Well I found the Clip Color Table and it looks like an effin' mess. Anyone know how this might be manageable or what kind of coloring system this might be?