Re-load function for live performance *missing.

Discuss Push with other users.
yup yup

Re-load function for live performance *missing.

Post by yup yup » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:36 am

After quite a few years of using Elektron gear as the basis of my live performance I am switching to Ableton/Push. Mainly due to frustrations with lost work/backing up and certain limitations. Still using a couple of the machines with different roles...

I have found Push so far to be really intuitive and powerful. However, there is one massive function that I am really missing from my last setup. [Func/Reload] combination press would return the status of the set to the last saved instance, meaning you could go off on a tangent effecting various parameters and always be able to come back to 'homebase' with one combination press.

Anything like this possible at the moment? M4L patch??

Because789

Re: Re-load function for live performance *missing.

Post by Because789 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 am

Kapture is supposed to do the trick. And have a look into Clyphx. I don't remember if PXT-Live (or PXT-Live Plus) has such a function.
Live 9.5 (64bit), Max 7.0.6, Windows 10, Push 2, Korg electribe2, Bass Station II, Launch Control XL, Faderfox DJ3

M4L

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:54 am

You can do "total recall" in Live without any extra software or M4L by using a MIDI-loopback setup. A loopback is where you connect a MIDI output from Live back into a MIDI input into Live.
It can be either a hardware MIDI in/out connected by a physical MIDI cable, of a software MIDI in/out such as the IAC Bus on Mac, or Midi Ox/Midi Yolk on PC.

This is how to set I have it set up on my Mac using IAC: (The other controllers have been disconnected for clarity)

You can also use a physical MIDI interface and connect the output to the input using a MIDI cable, as long as you only enable the fields shown above, it will work the same, no problems.

How it works:
Say you have a Live parameter MIDI-mapped to a hardware knob on CC#17, and it's default state is a value of 0. Create a MIDI track that sends MIDI to your loopback output, (in my case, the IAC Bus) and then create a MIDI clip in that track that contains a CC#17 value 0 in the clip's MIDI envelope editor.

In the pic below you can see I have a track called MIXER RESET and the highlighted clip is called "RESET MIXER". This "RESET MIXER" clip is only one 16th in length and it's clip looping is set to off.

In the "RESET MIXER" clip's envelope editor you can see it's showing CC#17 with a value of zero. (Actually, I have a very quick ramp going from value=1 to value=0, as this seems more reliable, giving the parameter a quick "flick" rather than just having a single value sitting in there)

Triggering that "RESET MIXER" clip sends CC#17 and the "flick" from value 1 to 0 out on the IAC Bus and back into Live - resetting that parameter to the desired 0. The "RESET MIXER" clip itself is MIDI-mapped to a button on my controller that I can hit at any time.

One MIDI clip can contain up to 128 CC envelopes to reset up to 128 parameters instantly!

In the pic below you can see the CC's I've assigned that reset my mix state to default. You needn't only assign mixer parameters to be reset - any FX or instrument parameter that has been assigned to MIDI control for tweaking can be reset using this method.

I play Dub music, so I have one clip to reset the mixer and another clip to reset my dub-chain FX.

As well as being assigned to buttons on my controller, I sometimes have the "reset" clips play as part of the first scene of each song, so the "mixing desk" is reset automatically as each individual song starts.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, just holler!
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am

Kia ora.
Thanks for all that info ^ Need to absorb when my mind is a little clearer.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 am

De rien!

Sorry, its actually a lot more complicated to describe in print than it is to actually do! Hopefully if you follow through in order, it'll make sense :wink: Are you on Mac or PC?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

yup yup

Post by yup yup » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:23 am

I'm on a mac. TBH Kapture looks like the best alternative for me (thanks Because789)
Thanks again for going to the effort of breaking down your solution Pitch Black.

:mrgreen: