New User

Discuss Push with other users.
spagbol

New User

Post by spagbol » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:26 am

Hi.
New here.
got my Push at late last year and been messing about with it. Im coming from Logic, so learning Live as well.
I took quit a while to decide to plump for Push over Machine.
So, yea, from the little knowledge i have Push seems ok. It does feel like an instrument, which was part of my expectation.
I noticed using USB alone the hardware can sometimes be a bit glitchy.
Bit peeved the touch ribbon cannot be used as modulation without PXT.

So, I've been lurking on these here forums, noticed a couple of posts about PXT Native Kontrol. Its something i think i would purchase. My question is that now the person who made PXT Kontrol (cant remember his name) is apparently on board with Ableton, would i expect the functionality that PXT brings to Push to be included in any kind of a firmware update release in the near future (Im suspecting after May of this year). I guess this could all be slightly rhetorical given the lack of information i can find on what Ableton are actually doing, I imagine most answers to this are partly some kind of guess work.

Anyway, Im kinda of enjoying Push as it is. Trying to find the time to invest into it to get a deeper knowledge. But i do find it in the first instance a good little product for getting initial ideas down. Pads for playing notes feel a little clunky sometimes. For drums seems fine, what i expect. Kind of a weird transition from keyboard controller to pads for notes.

Cheers
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

TomViolenz

Re: New User

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 am

I don't think anyone knows. But then waiting for Ableton to release updates to Push is an excercise in patience.
PXT is only 30 bucks and it gives you soooo much for that.
Even if everything in it would be included in the standard script in a few month, having that a few month earlier is not the worst way to spend that money.

Besides, I doubt that the PXT stuff will be included wholesale. The main reason is that some of Pushs buttons have uses in PXT that you have to learn because they are not the same as the writing on them would indicate. I can't imagine Ableton officially going for that caveat in their update.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:51 am

i just got mine last month. I have been purchasing 3rd party stuff (including PXT), and found the community mappings (free) to be invaluable. Ableton is coming up to 2 years without updating push. Sad really. I wouldn't hold out, you have spent on the big purchase, and it didn't deliver everything. Pocket money to improve it is worth it and helps out development (no thanks to Ableton).
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:07 pm

spagbol wrote: Bit peeved the touch ribbon cannot be used as modulation without PXT.
There's also Push TouchWheel 1.0 which costs 1€ or more.
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. And i see we have Live 9.2 as public beta which contains a few new things, including the mod wheel. Which is nice to see.

BTW, excuse my ignorance/laziness, but where would i find these free community mappings???

Cheers
...not having a mid-life crisis....just don't give a fuck about shit i don't give a fuck about anymore.....

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 pm

spagbol wrote:where would i find these free community mappings???
Ableton Push User Community Mappings
Make some music!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:07 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
spagbol wrote:where would i find these free community mappings???
Ableton Push User Community Mappings
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=198946

Please also link this thread so that the new users can bump it.
Since this seems to be the only way that interested users can become aware of the mappings 8)

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 pm

TomViolenz wrote: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=198946
Please also link this thread so that the new users can bump it.
Since this seems to be the only way that interested users can become aware of the mappings 8)
OK, thank you, Tom.

Download: Ableton Push User Community Mappings

Forum Thread: Change the parameter mapping of Lives own devices in Push!
Make some music!

spagbol

Post by spagbol » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks. I'll check it out whenever i get a spare hour in my day.