Automate Drum Rack Channel Sends?

Discuss Push with other users.
jj0b

Automate Drum Rack Channel Sends?

Post by jj0b » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:12 am

I'm really struggling to fit Push into my workflow without being able to automate the sends on my Drum Rack channels. Does anyone know if Ableton have mentioned that they will be adding control and automation for individual Drum Rack channel sends to Push? Sucks to always have to do it with the mouse when it seems so obvious that you should be able to hold down a channels step or steps and just set the send effect level. When you do this currently, it applies it to the effect sends for the entire Drum Rack which is a pretty useless feature imho. I wouldn't often need to apply a send to an entire drum rack on a per step basis.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

login

Re: Automate Drum Rack Channel Sends?

Post by login » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:43 am

No current way to do this since Push doesn't offer control over the drum rack mixer.

By the way to have individual sends in a drum rack you must add:
- Open the chain list
- Then select "Show chain returns"
- Add an utility device to these returns
- Select the global returns as the outputs in these drum rack returns

nightscope

Post by nightscope » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 am

PXT-Live offers control over drum rack volume, pan and 5 sends for each drum rack pad.

Goto 1.23s here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G20HJ_x54F0

So it's either PXT-Live or wait for Ableton to add this functionality and do without during the interim.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Is there a simple max for live device that is a set of knobs that can be midi learned to any control in Live (such as drum rack sends)?

Similar to the "map" button on the Max for Live envelope or LFO. This way you could just have a little device in the chain for controlling drum rack sends...

If not I may make one (if possible).
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm

jj0b wrote:Does anyone know if Ableton have mentioned that they will be adding control and automation for individual Drum Rack channel sends to Push? Sucks to always have to do it with the mouse when it seems so obvious that you should be able to hold down a channels step or steps and just set the send effect level.
They haven't announced this, but it feels inevitable if you ask me. Until they do, what you can do is extracting the chains into proper tracks and record the automation in clips in those. Another alternative is to look into Max For Live devices. I just got PXT-Live and it can do this I think. Well worth $19.95.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 pm

Airyck wrote:Is there a simple max for live device that is a set of knobs that can be midi learned to any control in Live (such as drum rack sends)?

Similar to the "map" button on the Max for Live envelope or LFO. This way you could just have a little device in the chain for controlling drum rack sends...
I think there is the 16 knobs whatever. I hear it works great. Personally I'd prefer automation on separate tracks than the target. I wonder how that will play with Live 9.2 though?
Make some music!

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Well I was thinking that you could setup a default drum rack where each cell had this "knobby" max for live device which was already setup to control sends. Then it's not like one device for the purpose but a device on every cell.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Airyck wrote:Well I was thinking that you could setup a default drum rack where each cell had this "knobby" max for live device which was already setup to control sends. Then it's not like one device for the purpose but a device on every cell.
That's a pretty good idea.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:55 pm

tedlogan wrote:
Airyck wrote:Well I was thinking that you could setup a default drum rack where each cell had this "knobby" max for live device which was already setup to control sends. Then it's not like one device for the purpose but a device on every cell.
That's a pretty good idea.

Thanks, now just need to find or create a simple max for live device for this purpose. Any suggestions?