Beyond Session view - uses for Push in workflow?

Discuss Push with other users.
tedlogan

Re: Beyond Session view - uses for Push in workflow?

Post by tedlogan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:07 pm

:D

phakju

Post by phakju » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:20 pm

hey ... this is a great deal of ideas here ... thanks for sharing ted!

the empty instrument rack is in particular cool ;)
MacBookPro, OSX 10.11.4, Ableton 9.6.2b, Max 7.2.1 both 64bit

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:45 pm

tedlogan wrote:.... "clusters" of patches within a single rack hits the nail on the head for me.
Can you please elaborate on just what you mean here Ted?

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Certainly.

I'll repost an earlier response in this thread:
If I have 4 versions of patch "Fat Wasp Waltz", a bassy buzzing swing arpeggio, I'd now place all 4 variations in one rack, and map them so that turning macro one switches between these patches while also turning off the other 3 vst instances to conserve CPU power. The rack would have a suffix of a plus sign (+) at the end to denote that this particular rack has this functionality.

The handy thing here is that now, instead of picking one by replacing the previously loaded patch, you can now easily and instantly switch between these versions while the song is playing to either choose a favourite or modulate between them as the song progresses, recording these changes. I'm slightly more excited about this workflow then I should be, but there you go.

It can really liven up some parts by automating patch variations - nothing extreme necessarily, just shifts in timbre/character etc.
That's what I meant by "clusters". Otherwise I'd end up scrolling through way too many patches on Push, like "Borf A"; "Borf B"; "Borf C" etc. Those would all be in one loaded rack, with the benefits described in the quote.

These kind of patches are usually multiples of the same arps, drumloops and sequences, with the same rhythm, but differing in tone, how they respond to the modwheel and so on. Or multiples of the same fantasy sitar, but each made with different waveforms, etc.

If you don't know how to set this up (it's very easy) I can elaborate further, but I'm guessing you probably know how.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

I think works well beyond Session View.
It's a great paper weight, dust magnet, mood lighting and it's not too bad for workouts either :mrgreen:

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 pm

TomViolenz wrote:.... dust magnet...
It's like a VACUUM for dust. Crazy.

Even with my 'decksaver' cover, the shit is always covered with a thing layer of dust. I'll be spewing if I get a screwed encoder.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed May 20, 2015 8:37 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I think works well beyond Session View.
It's a great paper weight, dust magnet, mood lighting and it's not too bad for workouts either :mrgreen:
oh man, i chuckled. How do they always manage to "develop" these paperweights? APC40 syndrome.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection