I don't understand what Swing function is doing

Discuss Push with other users.
alexfsu

I don't understand what Swing function is doing

Post by alexfsu » Wed May 06, 2015 8:21 am

I have some eight note hats and I hold quantize to move swing to like 100%, but I don't hear or see anything change. I'm confused....

replika

Re: I don't understand what Swing function is doing

Post by replika » Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 am

you have 100% swing amount or quantize amount?

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Wed May 06, 2015 9:04 am

like quantize will be at 100%, and I'll move the swing knob up eventually to 100%, but nothing is swinging

replika

Post by replika » Wed May 06, 2015 12:13 pm

and you push the quantize button again?

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Thu May 07, 2015 10:33 am

replika wrote:and you push the quantize button again?
ya, that doesn't really do anything either. nothing swings, really strange

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:33 pm

If you're doing 8th notes, are you using 8th note swing? Are you sure you have the appropriate note (which you are trying to affect) selected?

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Fri May 08, 2015 5:40 am

yeah, im turning all knobs and nothing when notes are selected and I have logic 8 swing 74 going. of course if I manually apply it to the clip it swings. but what are the knobs for then?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 08, 2015 12:39 pm

Swing in push is different from the groove pool. Maybe the groove pool is interfering.

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:23 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Swing in push is different from the groove pool. Maybe the groove pool is interfering.
I'm using a MIDI clip with no groove pool now, a bunch of 1/8 notes playing in sequence in session mode.

quantize amt = 100%
swing amt = 90%
quantize = 1/8t

the swing knob does absolutely nothing, 1-100%.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 pm

In some cases swing applies to a whole clip. In drum racks, I think swing can apply either to the entire track or to individual sounds (I forget), so that can be tricky for figuring out which element you are affecting.

On top of that, hopefully as you said, your groove is set to None, even if it was set to a different setting, if that groove setting had 'quantization' settings, and the groove amount set to zero, it would still conflict with swing (maybe).

Lastly, you are using 1/8t. The t stands for triplets. Does it work better for 1/8 standard?

alexfsu

Post by alexfsu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am

yur2die4 wrote:In some cases swing applies to a whole clip. In drum racks, I think swing can apply either to the entire track or to individual sounds (I forget), so that can be tricky for figuring out which element you are affecting.

On top of that, hopefully as you said, your groove is set to None, even if it was set to a different setting, if that groove setting had 'quantization' settings, and the groove amount set to zero, it would still conflict with swing (maybe).

Lastly, you are using 1/8t. The t stands for triplets. Does it work better for 1/8 standard?
well I figured out how to apply to the whole clip using different quantize settings, I wasn't pressing 'quantize' a second time after holding it a first. however applying to single notes (which is by turning the knob without hitting quantize that second time) isn't swinging that pad. but i guess i can live with it. groove is set to none tho yeah

also, I didn't realize that Push's swing knob doesn't change swing in real time with the movement of the knob. you have to move the knob to where you want the swing to be at, and then press quantize--every time you want to tweak the swing setting. disappointing coming from Maschine, but that's Ableton's MIDI engine for ya I guess